Coopers Community

Pilsener: How long is too long...?

Blacker Pastures

Hiya. I put down a Czech Pils from the Coopers recipes while i was living with th'olds, and have since moved the family to our own place. As it was too early to bottle, i opted to leave the FV and the brew fridge there, and get back to it when it was ready.

Turns out i haven't had the time to get down there (2 hour drive from the new place, and leaving for a weekend to bottle wasn't high up on the priority SWMBO's list of unpacking into the new house) and this friday it will be 4 weeks in the fermenter.... I remember reading that largers and pils should/could be fermented for at least 3 weeks...? Would 4 weeks be ok too? sad

Also, as I didn't leave a hydrometer behind for the old man to check FG (also, he has no idea what to do anyway...) I find my self in the position of having to drive down, check it one day, stay over, check it again, and hope it's ready to go pinched

I suppose the questions i have are:

How long is too long for it to be in the FV?;

In order to speed things up, is there a point it's safe to assume it could be bottled with out needing to test with the hydrometer over 2 days...? or, more specifically, do the tests, but have it be ok whistling - maybe leave it a little longer still...?

Many thanks!

I don't think I properly answered your questions there as I'm not sure how long is too long in the fermenter. But 4 weeks is fine.

It's not essential to test your final gravity after this time, but by doing so you will know exactly how alcoholic your beer ended up and whether it fermented properly and didn't get stuck along the way.

So it is kind of essential....but not absolutely necessary if that makes sense?unsure

Yeah I'd reckon it's done fermenting if it's been sitting there that long at that temp. Probably wouldn't hurt to take a reading anyway just to be sure it hasn't stalled or something like Jay mentions. If it's close to or at expected FG then you should be right to bottle, or drop it for a cold crash for a couple of weeks if you choose.

Archived