Coopers Community

How long did it take you to choose your house ale??

Chezza

Don't you hate it when.....

Well today I bottled two brews two middys that I didn't take any notes for, one turned out exactly as I planned standard bottle filler as the stocks are running low after chrissy.. The other which I have absolutely no idea of what went in it is probably the best beer I have tried out of the fermenter and was after 3 years of brewing something I would keep as a house ale.. I'm annoyed now because they were both cheap quick bottle fillers..

As home brewers, I reckon it's in our nature to tinker & experiment constantly. Document every brew you make, as often the most innocent of recipes can produce the most extraordinary of beers. rightful

It pays forward to document every brew you make.

As far as a house ale goes, I have about 4 of them now that I'm happy enough to re-brew over & over for drinking at certain times of the year.

That said, I'm always tweaking! Bidibidibidibidi...(Buck Rogers Twiki! lol) wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Agreed!!

I can remember that it was pitched on the yeast cake (2nd gen) of a heritage lager and brewed at 13-15c for 5 days then raised to 17-19c for 9 days then cc'd for 7 days but do you think I can remember what went in there??

I even know the other beer brewed at the same time real ale 500g dme 200g Dex ipa yeast cake (2nd gen) and it is a nice average bottle filler!! Just annoying

Cheers Chezza.

Hey Chezza

Over 4 years of brewing and I haven't settled on a regular house Ale. I have rarely brewed the same beer twice, and never brewed an exact replica three times.

Having said that by house malt would be Maris Otter, my house hop would Fuggle and the house yeast strain would be Windsor. (Cascade is a close second with American yeasts US05 and BRY-97.)

More that 90% of my beers are Mid Strength, deliberately targeting 4 to 4.2%, and 98% are Ales.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hey Scottie,

Yeah much the same for me the only brew off the top of my head I've done a few times is the heritage lager and a kg of ldme because brewed as a lager is is a great drop, and the only one of my beers the father in law will touch. When I was younger I really associated with brands and was bought by the marketing and couldn't change beers because I couldn't get over the taste, now I go out and try all different beers they have on tap (for research of course) and try and pick what went into it, and if I like it try to replicate it. For the record it was pure blonde naked I used to drink I just loved the awkward moment when you asked for a naked blonde

Cheers Chezza

Just over a year brewing and no house ale yet.

I was sure a Pacific Ale clone would have been as it use to be my go to commercial beer but I think my tastes have moved on. I have made about three of these, one extract and two AG.

I do plan on having one once I have a few more kegs (currently only have two and need to build a collar to get another in my keezer).

A simple pale ale made with Aussie malt and likely mostly Aussie hops to keep cost's down. Reusing yeast I think banging out a brew for $15 should be doable.

I can see alot of overseas hops and grain getting more and more expensive with the $AUD going down and in the case of hops usage going up.

The closest I've probably got to a regular house ale is my red ale. This is one that I brew a fair bit, and generally always the same recipe although the latest batch I used a different yeast than usual. Other than that, there aren't really any that I repeatedly brew, I'm always playing with different hops on my pale ales, and I don't brew a lot of dark beers. The only other regular recipe I brew is my Bohemian Pilsner, but I've put those on the backburner for a while because I'm attempting to fill kegs, so ales it is for the time being.

I don't really have a house ale.

But I have a two tap kegerator on order and want to try to perfect my English ales this year. I hope to have one tap dedicated to English ales and the other can be for other styles.

Hey Fellas,

How about this one because it has been spun this way a few times for me.

'Your obviously not very good at it if you keep making all different types can't you just find one and stick to it?'

For me I usually try to explain that I like every type of beer and my latest batch is my favourite (usually, had some shockers come through) and why settle on one.. Commercial beer drinkers don't see the logic in this argument and put it down to ohh it's crap beer ???? well that's the way Im spinning it they are uneducated fools with uneducated palates haha

Love me Sundays have a good one!!

Love the variety.

My spin, variety is the spice of life, I have the ability to brew any style, clone many beers and invent my own hybrid - and people like the results so why shouldn't I do it.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I've only brewed 30 batches, so have been too busy experimenting with different styles. I wouldn't mind having a house beer to perfect, but I have no idea what it would be! Off the top of my head it would probably be a fairly simple Aussie pale ale made with Aussie malt, Aussie hops and a fairly neutral yeast that leaves a bit of body.

My house brew is pretty much a Canadian Blonde, or an Original Pale ale, made with malt & some hop additions, usually Citra, Cascade, Galaxy or Centennial, sometimes Amarillo, or a combination.

I was pretty much set on these being the stock standard brews after I'd made them a couple of times; so I'd say I was hooked on those as the standards within about a year of resuming home brewing.

They're comparatively easy to brew, the ingredients are easy enough to get, & the results are pretty reliable.

A nice simple ale with a bit of hops is always easy to drink.

I still tinker with different brews, & suspect the Bootmaker pale ale will be a regular, as I like a nice hoppy ale, but the first batch is still less than a week in the FV, so I'll have to see what that's like once it's ready to drink.

Archived