Coopers Community

2nd Brew - Mexican Cervesa

shitsngiggles

Almost lol. Dex is corn sugar. The "corn" in that blend would be maltodextrin, or corn syrup, powdered though obviously. I'd agree that those dry enzymes are crap, but I don't like dry, thin beers either. Or at least not as dry and thin as those things result in.

Sounds like you've got a handle on the temp controlling though. What type of temp controller do you have? There should be a setting in it somewhere to adjust the calibration of it.

Sounds like you've got a handle on the temp controlling though. What type of temp controller do you have? There should be a setting in it somewhere to adjust the calibration of it.

Thanks Kelsey' date='

Temp controller is the all time favourite STC-1000, TBH I haven't even looked at the instructions to re-cal it yet, will probably do it over the next few days, 0.5 - 1 deg on the high side was close enough not to worry about in any great hurry, and I can compensate for it.

Just checked the Brew notes on the Cervesa and recalled this one was in the FV before i fitted the controller, I brewed it at 20 deg but latter found out my temp strip reads low by 2-4 degrees so 20 is more like 22-24. .... makes sense where the nana's came from now .... flippin monkey been at me thermometer too![img']lol[/img]

I was talking to my old man in NZ about my brewing adventures and some of your advice about brewing temps ... I now have to put another controller together for him, he has been brewing in a fridge with a 60w light bulb fitted inside as a heater, problem is he only has a single output thermostat so has to manually swap between heat and cool to control temp ... and he brews ale up at 25 deg ... he's a massive Coopers fan too, told me not to bother with other brands some are ok other are shit but Coopers always shine, he's been brewing for 25 odd years and never tried the lower end of the temp range, I think I made hime curious enough to try brewing down at 18 for a cleaner ferment and taste.

Nice one. It'll definitely result in a better flavoured beer than fermenting at 25 will. He'll probably wish he'd tried it earlier after tasting one. I dunno that other kits are shit, but perhaps the yeasts included in them aren't as forgiving of higher fermentation temps as the Coopers kit yeasts are... I dunno, I only brewed about 6 or 7 Coopers kits, and 3 or 4 extract batches before jumping into all grain. lol

Sweet, I have that controller too. The calibration setting is done in the same way as changing the temperature itself, so you hold down the S button until it shows F1, release the S button, then simply hit the up arrow until it shows F4 I think it is (either F3 or F4) and select it in the same way by holding the S button and an arrow button simultaneously. What I normally do is get a reliable thermometer, a jug of water, stick the thermometer and the STC temp probe in the water together, and then adjust the calibration on the STC until the temp reads the same as the thermometer. Which reminds me I should do that again before the next batch goes in. innocent

Sweet' date=' I have that controller too. The calibration setting is done in the same way as changing the temperature itself, so you hold down the S button until it shows F1, release the S button, then simply hit the up arrow until it shows F4 I think it is (either F3 or F4) and select it in the same way by holding the S button and an arrow button simultaneously. What I normally do is get a reliable thermometer, a jug of water, stick the thermometer and the STC temp probe in the water together, and then adjust the calibration on the STC until the temp reads the same as the thermometer. Which reminds me I should do that again before the next batch goes in. [img']innocent[/img]

Thanks again biggrin

Your right it is F4 ... just checked, I will do a proper re-cal the same way you explained when the current Honey Wheat comes out, was a little unsure of the infra red temp guns settings for accuracy, think I'll use the good old cold & flu thermometer in a cup of water.

Been following a few of your other brews and thread comments and starting to get a bit curious about this all grain bizo .... will keep going with kits and extracts for a bit yet though, hone the skills a bit first, still got a shit load to learn. smile

Yeah I just use my mash thermometer, which is actually a food thermometer, has a large metal probe on it.

Anyway, yeah all grain certainly gives you the most freedom in regard to recipe formulation. I find it a fun process too (most of the time lol) but it is time consuming. A brew day takes on average about 6 hours for me, although I do tend to just drift through it pretty relaxed like, I'm in no rush most times. I think you're on the right track sticking with the kits/extracts etc. for a little while, it's better to get the basics down pat first before you start branching out into more complicated processes. AG isn't hard, but you do need to know your stuff otherwise it will just turn out rubbish. rightful

Archived