Coopers Community

Double Dark Ale

Hi Chrystallis & welcome to the forum.

Oddly enough, the Coopers Dark Ale kit does not mirror it's commercial brother in all areas. It is bittered noticeably higher. I admit I've never understood why actually either. unsure

Anyways...using two cans of that kit in conjunction with one another to the 21-23 litre volume would likely produce quite a bitter beer (IMHO).

If wanting to produce a higher ABV version of the Dark Ale, I'd suggest perhaps using the Coopers DIY: Coopers Dark Ale recipe that utilizes the lower bittered Pale Ale kit as the base, as this should produce a much more inviting beer.

I'd just double up on each of the ingredients except the Dark Liquid Malt Extract.

I hope that helps.

Lusty.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I'm not too interested in higher abv, just wanted something more flavourful than the commercial dark. Thanks for letting me know about the bitterness lusty, I don't want to make something difficult to drink.

The SMOTY and the dark ale recipes both look good, I'll go with one of those.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I'm not too interested in higher abv' date=' just wanted something more flavourful than the commercial dark. Thanks for letting me know about the bitterness lusty, I don't want to make something difficult to drink.

The SMOTY and the dark ale recipes both look good, I'll go with one of those.

Cheers[/quote']

G'day Chrystallis, the SMOTY is good, needs time in the bottle, I like Hop Gobbler, made it many times with the original and many other hops English and American, it's one of my have to haves. wink

This one is a winner too, American Brown Ale Experiment, go down to post #5 and Muddy give the recipe, Muddy's Downtown Brown, made to 21 litres. wink

Cheers.

...Oddly enough' date=' the Coopers Dark Ale kit does not mirror it's commercial brother in all areas. It is bittered noticeably higher. I admit I've never understood why actually either. [img']unsure[/img]...
Don't think our commercial Dark Ale was around when OS Dark Ale was added to the range?? This was before I started with Coopers. sideways

I think OS Dark Ale simply followed the trend in the Original Series - bitterness increases as the brews get darker.

A simple combo, if you don't want to increase the bitterness:

1.7kg Dark Ale Brew Can

1.5 TC Amber Malt

Made to 23 litres

Hi PB2. smile

...Oddly enough' date=' the Coopers Dark Ale kit does not mirror it's commercial brother in all areas. It is bittered noticeably higher. I admit I've never understood why actually either. [img']unsure[/img]...
Don't think our commercial Dark Ale was around when OS Dark Ale was added to the range?? This was before I started with Coopers. sideways

I think OS Dark Ale simply followed the trend in the Original Series - bitterness increases as the brews get darker.

I figured it was one of those, "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" scenarios. wink

As a 7 year old In 1977 when the first "Brewer's Own Packs" (Home-brew) were being launched by Coopers, I'm not even sure I knew what beer was. unsure

How times have changed! whistling

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm up to my 14th brew, using coopers kits for all of them, with varying amounts of 'extras'.

My fav I've tasted so far is Dark Ale + Can of Amber malt extract + 500g LDM + 20g each of Galaxy and Cascade boiled for 10 minutes + dry hop with the same.

Once I got around to tasting the first batch I went and made two more in a row!

If you can get the Amber can where you shop I'm sure it'd still be great without the hops.

I'm up to my 14th brew' date=' using coopers kits for all of them, with varying amounts of 'extras'.

My fav I've tasted so far is Dark Ale + Can of Amber malt extract + 500g LDM + 20g each of Galaxy and Cascade boiled for 10 minutes + dry hop with the same.

Once I got around to tasting the first batch I went and made two more in a row!

If you can get the Amber can where you shop I'm sure it'd still be great without the hops.[/quote']

Do you know have an approximate ABV for that? Sounds nice though :)

~5.5%

I lied, I didn't make the next two exactly the same. Looking in my book the second was dry hopped with centennial and the third batch had an additional 500g LDM, more galaxy and cascade and was topped up to 25 litres instead of 23. (batch number three ended up around 6%!)

• Like 1

Some great ideas there.

My very first brew was a can of Tooheys Dark Ale (sorry Coopers - its just what my LHBS guy gave me!) and 1.5kg (or might have been 1.7 cant remember!) Liquid Dark ME......just a K&K with no hops and came out very nice.

Nice and malty which is how I like my Dark beers. I have a Coopers Dark Ale can at home and was going to do the same but with some steeped choc malt and Fuggles...but from what Ive read here I might change that to Amber ME.

I did the Smotty recently - didn't like it at first as its quite bitter, but it is mellowing nicely now and becoming very drinkable.

I really like the dark strong malty beers like Monteiths Dopplebock, Porters and some Extra Stouts but without the charcoal bite that many Stouts have. The Hop Gobbler does look like a good one and Ive also heard great reviews of the RoboChoc. Id like to try the Mister Sinister (in the strong list) but concerned it might be a bit too bitter.

Lusty - 1970 vintage aswell.....must've been a great year!!

I have previously done the Double OS Dark Ale Toucan and it was not too my liking without anything else added to it. I just did it as an experiment as I have with all the Coopers OS cans.

It came out around 65 IBUs when made into a 23L batch. The OG was around 44 so the bitterness ratio was around 1.4, which is say, 50% more bitter than a bitter IPA. I thought about using less efficient yeast to leave behind some sweetness or some lactose, but figured I would stick to my other recipes for the OS DA can as I find that OS DA and Lager go together quite well, as does the OS DA and APA can.

Hi Chrystallis,

I've been doing the Ol Brown Dog recipe (American Brown Ale) with extra hops and specialty malts inclusions. The Ol Brown Dog uses a can of Dark Ale plus a can of unhopped Amber Malt as its base. Just bottled another batch on Saturday which used Citra and Galaxy hops plus Belgium Special B, Shepherds Delight and Toffee malts, which has given it a rich flavour.

Cheers

Pete

• 4 years later...

I was thinking of doing a single can of Dark Ale in 11L with 400g steep of Winter Wheat Malt plus maybe about 200g DME. The Ian H spreadsheet says that this would be like an Australian/Foreign Extra Stout.

Thoughts?

Just getting a bit tired of saving half a can in the fridge each time I open a can. However the IBU of around 67 does seem a bit steep.

1 hour ago, DonPolo said:

I was thinking of doing a single can of Dark Ale in 11L with 400g steep of Winter Wheat Malt plus maybe about 200g DME. The Ian H spreadsheet says that this would be like an Australian/Foreign Extra Stout.

Thoughts?

Just getting a bit tired of saving half a can in the fridge each time I open a can. However the IBU of around 67 does seem a bit steep.

If you like your beers on the bitter side then you might be okay.  Have a look at some of the recipes in the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet with an ABV around 67.  Have you made or tried any of these, did you like them?  If so it would be worth giving it a try.

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

If you like your beers on the bitter side then you might be okay.  Have a look at some of the recipes in the Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet with an ABV around 67.  Have you made or tried any of these, did you like them?  If so it would be worth giving it a try.

I've had a quick look and it is promising. A better look tomorrow. However, I am hamstrung by actually having the Dark Ale cans already to hand. I'm not fazed too much about the bitterness, but maybe some of my mates will be.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DonPolo said:

Thoughts?

Hi Don.
There's still a few days left on the Fathers Day promotion on brew kits with free shipping. It could be a good time to invest in a second FV. $59 for the craft kit, $99 for the 23 litre.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/brew-kits.html

Edited by MUZZY

10 hours ago, DonPolo said:

I've had a quick look and it is promising. A better look tomorrow. However, I am hamstrung by actually having the Dark Ale cans already to hand. I'm not fazed too much about the bitterness, but maybe some of my mates will be.

Tempting!!!!

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, EllerslieLiquor said:

Well, recently i have came across such dark beer, 

First is Monteiths Black Beer it's a dark beer with a dark brown color. It has a creamy, bready and malty flavor.

Second one is black mac beer - The black mac beer has an unique taste, it is a different beer, you should try it for yourself.

The Monteiths is not bad at all

• Like 1