Coopers Community

ASD club

Beeblebrox

I've previously mentioned my ASD & other issues in some threads, including my Mental Health thread.

I have to think, considering the nature of ASD & the process involved in brewing beer that I must be far from the only person here on the spectrum.

I was only diagnosed about 3 years ago, but have clearly had ASD my whole life.

Like many, I find it frustrating that there is so much focus on "early intervention", & support for kids with ASD, whereas if you're seen as "high functioning" or at least able to get by & "act normal" help can be hard to find, & obviously expensive.

I guess I'm just looking for others on the spectrum willing to share their experiences, & have a place on the forum where we can feel a little less out of place, where being our version of normal is ok, without having to apologize, explain, or pretend it's not an issue.

In my case, I was diagnosed around age 40, but had previously always felt like either I was a bit odd, or everyone else was, (depending on circumstances, or the company I kept).

Several misdiagnoses, difficulty with transitions & sensory sensitivity has always been there, but how much it impacts my daily life seems to vary depending on stress level & how much sleep I get etc.

That's the starting point anyway, lets see if there are others willing to share.

Your post is one to be proud of, nice one on being pro-active.

I have experience and knowledge of ASD and OCD (and a few other things) within my family and in my job teaching where we have kids who get that early support, but also others who need it but miss out because they are high functioning and have learnt to adapt. They still struggle though and shouldn't have to tough it out themselves.

Mental health is important and it is starting to be viewed properly, but many still try not to think about it. If you break your leg you get the plaster cast, crutches etc, no one thinks twice about that. We should be equally as open and fine with mental health care, whether it is counselling, support services, mindfulness activities, medication etc etc.

I'm sure you're correct in assuming that there will be other brewers out there in similar situations. Traits of generalised anxiety and OCD are in my family. One of my siblings was diagnosed with OCD and a few other things as a kid, and really struggles on a daily basis. It absolutely dominates and makes just about everything far harder to accomplish, on the outside it might look like someone who just doesn't get their shit together but on the inside there is an absolute battle going on.

I don't have any diagnoses but have had counselling a couple of times after some particularly tough times, and don't have any issue sharing it. I can't say it solved the issues involved, but it provided some strategies. The sessions I had also provided a specific time and place for me to kind of 'put' them, so then they weren't on my mind in daily life.

Good on you for starting this conversation up. And in general I find your brewing posts to be clear, accurate, well written and spot on, I've followed a few of your tips.

Whilst I appreciate your comments & participation Farls, unfortunately all too often when a non ASD person (even if they actively support those with ASD) enter into a discussion on the topic early on, especially with a rather long post, it tends to put those with ASD off participating.

It's a battle those of us on the spectrum who have tried to participate in self advocacy are all too aware of.

I'm not meaning to be rude or cause offence, but my intention with this thread was to create a place where others who actually have a lived experience of ASD could discuss how their experience of home brewing may have been influenced by their ASD or vice versa.

Archived