Coopers Community

A new ale on tap...Furphys

Greg Coysh

Hi all,

I went to the local pub tonight, to find a new masthead on the taps. It's called Furphys and has floral aroma, hop top nots, low fizz,....it pours well, is slightly cloudy, but the head goes down quite quickly.

Who knows anything about it?

Love,

Greg.

Furphy Is a cheap entry level Ale,

To me its flavourless tasteless beer similler to LazyYak but even more boring

Yep ive slammed it because it was shight!

TRy a Hawthorn Pale ALe...Or a Hawthorn Golden Ale now that's taste... all there beers are great!

This beer I bought in a stubbie... sorry dude watery boring tastless...but you get what you pay for and it was cheap...

Nothing like little creatures at all...

I was extremely disappointed with this beer personly but each to there own...

Hardly any hop flavour at all... And no specialty malt flavour either...

It's Waylon for the win with a first round knock out, cop that furphy!

It is bland but I'm guessing it was a very deliberate recipe on the part of little creatures when they set up in Geelong Victoria, to get more people on board. I remember the days when I used to just drink the typical mega swills (there was far far less beer variety not that long go). It was in between, slightly interesting, mildly mannered beers that bridged the gap to the hop bombs that I love so much now.

Furphy has come out too late in my beer evolution to get my interest, but a few years ago I would have been on it as a session beer.

Thanks Waylon - confirmed what I suspected

Saw it in the Bottlo a while ago - and my general feeling is that cheap = crap. Like all things in life you get what you pay for.

If Im buying id rather spend the extra and get something decent

Hey

It seriously wasn't that bad....

Just nothing there that rattled my little world!

I mean ide go one before a VB anyday.

And ide defenitly smash a lazyyak before a furphy...

Just was expecting too much much at the time LOL

So poor old furphy copped a smashing...

• 2 years later...

Tried this a while back in Ballarat. About 18 months ago with some lads at the local footy club there. They were like, oh your a west Aussie you would have had this furphy beer then we have on tap.

I was like nah never had it. In fact I’ve never really enjoyed any of the little creature beers TBH.  I gave it a crack and then went back to 150 lashes. It’s ok but not for me.

Cheers

Captain

I found it more malt driven, than hop driven, which was a nice change for my body that actually stopped producing the hopped based green sweat my body usually exudes.

For a couple of days I actually wore white t-shirts for the first time in ages! ?

?

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 1:06 AM, CaffeinatedSentryGnome said:

I've had a few sessions on this beer now. Easy to smash. Malt driven. I like it. However the canned version is shit. Some how the can removed all the maltyness and all your left with is some watery crap devoid of flavour.

And yet nearly every other canned craft beer is still awesome? Hmm I’ll have to put my taste buds to the test with this one.

• 1 month later...

My earlier comments are based on comparing it with the usual mass produced commercial swill. It's head & shoulders above that IMHO. In the absence of a craft beer on tap or in the fridges at a pub or club I'm at & this is available vs the usual lot, I'd certainly choose this over the rest. It's a shift away from the norm for a mass produced beer for sure. Anyone who samples it & understands the current megaswill range would at least have to concede that.

Can I make better & more interesting beer than this? Yes I can. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

I found it tasted better in the bottle than on tap.

It definitely isn’t the most exciting beer but it is isn’t horrible and much better than downing a VB or Tooheys New. I put it in the 150 Lashes category of beer.

Another bland, flavourless beer, with a 'craft' price. This is what the brewing industry seems to be about these days.

The craft and micro market is in full swing, and their response is to pump out product to try and erode inroads into their market. The original owners of LC in Freo would never have brewed such a nondescript product - so this is simply using the brand for marketing leverage. 

Archived