Coopers Community

Pet Caps that Leak

PeterR2

I've just bottled my 4th batch and started re-using bottles and caps from my first and second batches and ran into a problem:

I purchased a Micro Brewery kit from Brew Cellars (a Coopers kit wasn't available in my town at the time). It came with 30 Pet bottles with white caps and that's what I used for my first batch.

I've since been buying Coopers Pet bottles with caps for subsequent batches.

Today when I was bottling with a mixture of Brew Cellars and Coopers Pets I noticed that some of the black Coopers caps that I re-used were leaking, the white ones were OK. In a panic, I shot down to my local Big W and bought some more Coopers caps. All was OK.

I suspect that the problem might be re-using Coopers caps on the Brew Cellars bottles. The Pet bottles look identical but might be different from other brands in some slight way. I know the Coopers caps are different but I would have assumed that they at least would have fitted other Pets without leaking.

Can anyone enlighten me about this

Thanks.

G'day PeterR2,

welcome to the Brewers Guild!!

PET bottle threaded ends are genrally the same. As such, any PET cap should be able to seal virtually any PET bottle.

When fitting the Coopers PET caps did you make sure to remove the tamper evident collar? Also, did you check to make sure they have the lining in place?

These are the main two reason why Coopers PET caps leak (apart from not being screwed on tightly enough).

If this does not allay your concerns, please contact our customer service department and discuss. customerservice@coopers.com.au

They may look to get the caps back to inspect.

Thanks for the response.

The collars were the problem I think. Some used ones had the collars still on and I didn't notice.

I guess I'll have to make another brew to check it but I'm pretty sure that was the problem.

Regards

Peter

Archived