Coopers Community

Blueberry Porter

Beerlust

Hi guys.

I've been giving this recipe a lot of thought of late, & will likely put down something very close to the recipe listed below within the next couple of weeks. It is an extension of the Oaked Vanilla Porter recipe I've brewed the last few years that previously used the English Bitter kit.

Thomas Coopers Ruby Porter 1.7kg

Briess CBW Porter LME 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Dextrose 200gms

Mosaic hops 30gms dry hopped

Frozen Blueberries 1kg

American Oak Chips 30gms

1 Vanilla Bean (split & added at dry hop phase)

Wyeast 1728 yeast (1½ litre starter)

Brewed to 23 litres

Ferment @ 19-20°C

Projected gravities are a little hard to predict given the addition of the fruit. IBU = 43.6, EBC = approx. 55.8, Bottled ABV = upwards of 5.5%.

The blueberries will be blended into a syrup & added to the dextrose & some water in a pot on the stove & boiled for a short time. This syrup will then be combined with the malt based ingredients & oak chips prior to pitching the yeast.

I've seen numerous ways of adding fruit to beer, & understand that adding the fruit at the beginning of the ferment will likely diminish the potency of the blueberry flavour, but I don't want the blueberry flavour to be dominant anyway, just complimentary. The Mosaic dry hop based aroma should compliment the blueberry flavour if it survives the aging process.

It should make for a very interesting beer. cool

All thoughts & suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ruddy. smile

Was it the BYO recipe that uses 4lbs of blueberries? Yeah, they recommended adding them post fermentation, & described the end beer as having a strong blueberry presence, whereas I'd like mine to be a little more subtle. I looked at a few other recipes including the Blushing Blonde recipe mainly just to get an idea for amounts & a suitable method off adding it to the brew that would suit what I want.

I'm not sure whether I'll get much of a blue hue in the beer given I've kept it pretty dark @ 55 EBC. I'm after a nice malt rich beer that has some noticeable, but subtle flavours from the specialty ingredients. If I use more LDM instead of the Briess Porter LME the beer won't end up as dark & would probably throw a more noticeable blue-ish hue, but the downside would be a Porter not as full flavoured in the malt department.

It is an experiment after all, so any short comings the beer has, I'll adjust for the next time I brew it. wink

Thanks for the input.

Lusty.

Ide love to see how this one turned out LUSTY!

Ive used Mosaic before and can see the blueberry smashing in with the dry hop...

She must crack the 6.5% ide say... knock some socks off

Im not sure about the oak chips with the blueberry! but hey yeh

Sounds a ripper

The blueberries will be blended into a syrup & added to the dextrose & some water in a pot on the stove & boiled for a short time..

Perhaps better to cook the berries - like a berri confit - and then blend and strain.

Hi Ben & Waylon. smile

Ive used Mosaic before and can see the blueberry smashing in with the dry hop...

I agree with you & reckon they'll work well together. I'm not going large with the dry hop though as it is meant to be a malt driven beer' date=' & hopefully it won't overshadow the blueberry flavour. (If it presents)

She must crack the 6.5% ide say... knock some socks off

I've used fruit twice in a beer but not to such a level where it could really have an impact on ABV%, so it is a bit of an unknown for me here. If it hits 6.5% ABV, no problemo! biggrin

Im not sure about the oak chips with the blueberry! but hey yeh

I'm actually tempted to do just that this time around. The yeast I'm using this time throws a smokey type element that might be enough without needing the oak chips. Still pondering that one. unsure

Perhaps better to cook the berries - like a berri confit - and then blend and strain.

I'm hearin' ya Ben. I've made a berri confit for a panna cotta recipe I did last year & this will be similar. I'll be blending it' date=' but not to a puree`. Enough that nothing could get caught in the tap inlet & block it when bottling.

Given the recipe is all extract bar the fruit, I won't end up with a lot of trub unlike an AG brewer might here, so I'm going to pour the slightly lumpy fruit syrup directly into the fermenter as opposed to straining it like I normally would. Exposure to the skin of the fruit will help colour the beer, so leaving as much of that in contact with the brew wort should be beneficial.

For those unaware, in wine making the vast majority of red looking grapes actually have clear juice inside them. It is the juice sitting in contact with the red skins of the grape for a period of time that actually give the wine its colour. I'm adopting the same principal here with the blueberries in contact with the brew wort. [img']wink[/img]

I'm looking forward to getting it happening.

Thanks for the input guys. happy

Lusty.

• 5 weeks later...

Earlier today I went & purchased the ingredients for this recipe. All except the blueberries.

Snagged the last Coopers Porter off the shelf & the last 1728 yeast they currently had in stock. Winner! biggrin

The Citra Pale Ale I brewed up yesterday is up & fermenting happy so will leave that in the brew fridge until next Wednesday where I'll dry hop it & move it to finish off under ambient conditions. The same day I'll mix up the Porter recipe & get it fermenting in the brew fridge.

I'm still humming & harring over the amount of blueberries to use & whether to up the amount or not. I've decided to drop the oak chips as I think the yeast will throw some nice traits along these lines, but will still use a split vanilla bean in the dry hop phase along with the Mosaic.

I can't hide my excitement about making this beer. joyful

Come on Wednesday!

Cheers,

Lusty.

1728 yeast they currently had in stock. Winner! biggrin

Slightly jelly that you have a LHBS that has yeast' date=' mine is shite.[/quote']

I travel a good distance and pass by a handful of others to go to that same "local" home brew store.

I've only got 1 down south (which doesn't carry coopers) of Adelaide and nothing in between there and work. Sad times.

Earlier today I went & purchased the ingredients for this recipe. All except the blueberries.

Snagged the last Coopers Porter off the shelf & the last 1728 yeast they currently had in stock. Winner! biggrin

The Citra Pale Ale I brewed up yesterday is up & fermenting happy so will leave that in the brew fridge until next Wednesday where I'll dry hop it & move it to finish off under ambient conditions. The same day I'll mix up the Porter recipe & get it fermenting in the brew fridge.

I'm still humming & harring over the amount of blueberries to use & whether to up the amount or not. I've decided to drop the oak chips as I think the yeast will throw some nice traits along these lines' date=' but will still use a split vanilla bean in the dry hop phase along with the Mosaic.

I can't hide my excitement about making this beer. [img']joyful[/img]

Come on Wednesday!

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Lusty. Good idea to drop the oak chips. Don't blueberries contain a lot of tannins? The two together might be too much of a good thing.

If it were me, instead of upping the amount of blueberries, I would add them after the first part of fermentation is over, to get more flavour out of them, plus less risk of infection.

Sound like a yummy brew. Good luck with it. It is such fun to try something new. -Christina.

I've decided to drop the oak chips as I think the yeast will throw some nice traits along these lines

I don't want to change your mind so close to your brew day' date=' but know where I stand with Oaking a good beer.[img']rolleyes[/img] I oaked a Mosaic CDA this passed summer and must say that it was easily one of my best beers ever. The complexity of that beer was amazing. the flavours and aromas were so very well layered and the malt, coffee richness was very pleasing.smile

I'll look up the recipe and post it for you to brew in the future.

I appreciate the input guys. smile

If I wasn't using the 1728 yeast, I reckon I might have still kept some quantity of oak chips in the recipe. I've only used that 1728 yeast the once so far (on my amber ale recipe) & the complexity of flavours it imparted onto that beer were quite incredible I thought, & really turned it into a completely different beer. A notable light smokey characteristic was one of those attributes I felt the yeast threw, & is the reason I'm leaving the oak chips out.

I love the complexity oak chips add to an IPA, & the vanilla porter I've brewed the last 2-3 years.

This year I just want a shift away to something a little different, hence the inclusion of the blueberries & a change of yeast. wink

If I feel the beer is lacking without the oak chips, I can always brew the recipe again with them! biggrin

Ohh... to the other SA based boys, Beerbelly Brewing also offer various delivery options if travelling to the shop itself is inconvenient.

Anyways, time for a soft serve cone... wink

Lusty.

Well everything is almost ready for tomorrow's brew day. Yesterday just before heading off to work I boiled up a 1 litre starter using some dry malt extract, & released the nutrient in the 1728 smack pack.

When I arrived home I poured the yeast from the smack pack into the now cooled starter. The yeast is currently ripping into that. happy

As far as brew days go, tomorrow will be a fairly simple one. A bit of blending, followed by a short boil combining the blueberries & the dextrose, then simply mixing this syrup with the kit, LME & DME directly in the fermenter.

I'm really interested to see how much of the blueberry aroma I can detect once it's all mixed together.

I'll update down the track.

Lusty.

Exciting Lusty! You are inspiring me. I was disappointed with the black currant and raspberry stout I made with the OS kit, but perhaps someday I will try a Raspberry Porter.

I wonder how well you will like the bitterness level of the Coopers Porter kit with blueberries? I would be interested in your opinion on this at tasting time. I found the OS Stout kit was too bitter as a base for fruit beer. - Christina

I've only got 1 down south (which doesn't carry coopers) of Adelaide and nothing in between there and work. Sad times.

Beerbelly deliver anywhere in the Adelaide metro area for $6.50 - how far south are you?

They use APD who have the following Zone List.

This is excellent news, and I will be using them in the future. Thanks KR

Hi Christina. smile

Exciting Lusty! You are inspiring me. I was disappointed with the black currant and raspberry stout I made with the OS kit' date=' but perhaps someday I will try a Raspberry Porter.[/quote']

I'm not sure if you've looked at your "Black Currant Dark Ale" thread since your last post there expressing your disappointment about the end beer, but I did post a retort (HERE) on the same day after that, that has surprised me a little that you haven't commented on.

I actually like your Dark Ale idea. I just feel the black currant flavour can be better accessed through clever grain & hop selection without the need for actual black currants. wink

I wonder how well you will like the bitterness level of the Coopers Porter kit with blueberries? I would be interested in your opinion on this at tasting time. I found the OS Stout kit was too bitter as a base for fruit beer. - Christina

If I had to pick a style of beer I feel you can add the most amount of complexity to' date=' it would be the Porter style. If you look at the standard bitterness level along with a subdued black malt influence compared to a full blown stout, it just begs for you to add influences to it.

I absolutely love Porters for this very reason. [img']love[/img]

For this brew I'm throwing a @#$% load of unknowns together with the hopes of a SUPER beer at the end. I haven't brewed the new Coopers Ruby Porter kit. I haven't used the Briess Porter LME. I haven't used this much fruit or technique for adding fruit to a beer before. I haven't used this yeast on a dark beer before.

Exciting isn't it?!! biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Well the Blueberry Porter recipe is in the FV. smile

An interesting brew day for me as I haven't used fruit in a beer like this before. A lot of unknowns for me with it at this early stage, & most are still to be determined.

Being early days since the kit's release there is little to no info atm regarding how best to brew the kit itself, & what other options work well with it. So it's like flying blind in the bat cave to some degree! lol

For those interested, I took a rare physical OG sample on this one as I wanted to gauge the impact the blueberry fruit syrup had on it as there is very little literature I am aware of that details this. My OG was up 4 points above what IanH's spreadsheet predicted without the fruit syrup.

IanH's spreadsheet predicted a 1.054 OG without the 1kg blueberry fruit syrup mixture.

Actual OG was 1.058. Given the 1728 averages around 71% attenuation, FG is going to be interesting. unsure

The hydro sample didn't have any notable blueberry tones from my tasting of it. It's very early days, & once all is said & done, I may wish I'd used some LDM in place of the Briess Porter LME that may have made the malt mix too rich for the blueberry influence to be more forward. I may wish I'd simply added more blueberries. I may wish I hadn't boiled them. A lot of if's & but's right now. unsure

At the moment though, I'm more interested that the 1728 gets up & begins fermenting the brew quickly. I pitched a little higher than I would have liked, but the brew fridge is making short work of that differential as I type this. happy

I'm taking a lot more notes about this current brew than I normally do, that will only help me moving forward with it. Mosaic & vanilla bean dry hop phase still to come.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'm happy the yeast got going last night with a noticeable krausen ring beginning to form. happy

Upon inspection this morning there is a very nice 3-4 inch foaming krausen! cool

I didn't think it would get anywhere near the roof of the standard Coopers FV, but I'm glad this time around I decided to fit the krausen collar just in case.

The brew is at 20°C where it will now stay throughout primary fermentation.

It's a good yeast this one. Nottingham would be proud! tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

Could you dry hop some more berries if you think it's required? Or even try and use some squashed berries for priming as an experiment in a few bottles?

Is your question directed at Lusty?

Yes, you could add more fruit if you taste it after the first fruit addition has fermented and find the flavour lacking. It will kick up another round of fermentation. It can be a good way to go if you are not sure how much fruit you need/like.

Oldtimers used to prime bottles with four raisins. I can't see why you could not do the same with blueberries. Might have to use five instead as blueberries are smaller, less sweet, and contain water.

Hi Anzacpaul.

Could you dry hop some more berries if you think it's required? Or even try and use some squashed berries for priming as an experiment in a few bottles?

You could add some blueberries during the dry hop phase' date=' but I wouldn't think much in the way of aroma would come from them unless you crushed them a little first to release the juices of the berries into the wort/beer. Much like the slow release of oils from hops do during this phase.

I admit I have no experience with how yeast reacts to fruit berries in a wort situation, & whether the yeast has any ability to break down the berries or not. [img']unsure[/img]

Anyways, the Mosaic is there for the dry hop, & hopefully compliments the brew well, provided it survives the aging process.

So many unknowns with this beer, & that is why I'm finding this one a lot of fun. coolhappy

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived