Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2016

Scottie

Congrats on the brew John! happy

It always looked a nice recipe.

Once it's aged suitably, post a pic of it in the glass if you can. I'll be interested to see how the head retention/glass lacing thing pans out too.

Just quietly, I'm quite a fan of the Porsche 911's myself, so am just a little envious of your targa-type experience driving a few of them. What can I say, I saw "Condorman" at the pictures as a kid & fell in love with them! tongue

If I ever win the lotto, there'll be no Ferrari's or Lamborghini's in my drive, Porsche's all the way! biggrin

...& the 911 IPA is born! wink

Good stuff!

Lusty.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoying a few of my Citra/Cascade Pale Ales from the keg atm. A fairly uncomplicated recipe that drinks really nice on a warm to hot day.

A bit of Spiderbait , Angels, ACDC, ZZ Top, Deep Purple cranking in the background atm, so most enjoyable. happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

Enjoying a few of my Citra/Cascade Pale Ales from the keg atm. A fairly uncomplicated recipe that drinks really nice on a warm to hot day.

Yum, I'm drinking a Chinook/ Cascade pale with a touch of Rye after a 12 hour shift.

Beer is good.

Well, I cracked my first Fruit Salad Ale after 2 weeks in the bottle. A lot of chill haze after being in the fridge for 24 hours, but poured quite well. I can tell it needs a bit longer, and it has a bitterness to it I', hoping will subside a little, but you get a beautiful amarillo linger on the palate afterward. SWMBO took a sip and promptly asked for her own, but I had only chilled one bottle, so she ended up drinking it!

She was very impressed, and so am I!!

Here's a pic of it in the glass.

OKoQ5pQ.jpg?2

Sampling a couple of English bitters after 6 days in the keg tonight. Taste is good, but I may have overdone the Caraaroma a tad, will dial it back on the next batch and increase the medium crystal. Clarity is shit, for a supposedly high floccing yeast (Wy1318), it hasn't done much of that despite sitting at 0 degrees for 2 weeks plus having a dose of isinglass during CCing. Same thing happened in the red ale batch. I know it's not chill haze because it doesn't go away as the glass warms. I'll use the yeast on the next ESB batch and maybe increase the dose of isinglass, but after that I am going to try the 1335, then 1469. They sound like they'd produce a flavour more to my liking as well.

12794574_10209132771704998_6928382303455405502_n.jpg?oh=98d93a83a2af2a5fd1770d223cadf65d&oe=576DD721

Cheers

Kelsey

Hi Kelsey.

Clarity is shit' date=' for a supposedly high floccing yeast (Wy1318), it hasn't done much of that despite sitting at 0 degrees for 2 weeks plus having a dose of isinglass during CCing. Same thing happened in the red ale batch. I know it's not chill haze because it doesn't go away as the glass warms.[/quote']

Mosaic_AmberAle.jpg

That's my Amber Ale using the same yeast. No mash based whirlfloc/protofloc etc. to coagulate physical matter prior to pour off. No post fermentation fining agents such as isinglass used to clear the beer. That brew spent a handful of days cold crashing just enough to chill the beer adequately to artificially carbonate it with the C02 tank for the keg.

IMHO your problems aren't anything to do with the yeast.

Cheers,

Lusty.

That doesn't look too dissimilar to mine in better lighting than the photo I took. A little clearer, but not by much. My main reason for singling out the yeast is because I did the red ale brew to the same recipe with US-05 and it cleared up fine. Two brews I've done with this yeast have ended up cloudy - it takes them ages to clear in the keg although the bottles clear faster.

I follow the exact same brew day process on every batch, and the malts used are practically the same as well except for pilsners but I haven't done one of those for a while. Fermentation schedules and processing agents added during CCing are the same on every batch as well. It doesn't leave much other than yeast refusing to drop given that batches brewed with other yeasts have cleared up much faster.

Interestingly, a brown ale brew I did a couple of years ago with Nottingham yeast also turned out quite cloudy, and that yeast is supposed to floc well too. Some of it was chill haze, but even warm it was still cloudy.

I don't know, but in any case, I'll be trying those other two yeasts I mentioned mainly because I think they would produce a beer more to my tastes than the 1318 does. It does finish a little sweet for me.

IMG_07241_zpsrtdai8it.jpg

Honky Red

Three weeks kegged, supposed to have red hues from the Redback malt. It is however a lovely beer with a beautiful balance and a fair degree of complexity. Upfront it is citrusy from the cascade, then in the middle there is a combination of toastiness and fruit and a nice lingering bitter finish.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Beer is flowing from both taps.

Tap 1 - Coopers wheat beer. Not a bad kit. If you want a kit that doesn't require any additions (other than wheat malt) then this is it. The kit yeast is good too.

Tap 2 - ESB. The best AG ESB I have made. I think the trick was the Special B love

Few on tap ATM

Threepointfive ale- mega swill mid strength. A good lawnmower beer. The late POR addition gives the beer that "familiar" taste. bandit

Pa-rye-ity Amber Ale- a spin on PB2's recipe, using Briess rye LME. Citrus on the nose with a lingering spicy/bitter finish. Yum.

Capital Pils- Metho unsure Pours well and looks good in the glass. It has a very strong Alcohol smell and taste. I'm a bit disappointed at this early stage. Maybe not one for the keg.

Cheers,

Dave.

Capital Pils- Metho unsure Pours well and looks good in the glass. It has a very strong Alcohol smell and taste. I'm a bit disappointed at this early stage. Maybe not one for the keg.

G'day Dave,

Do you get much from the 100g Hallertau Mittelfrueh dry hop?

Unfortunately you've confirmed my suspicions when I saw this come out as ROTM. I have had one Imperial Pils before and it tasted and smelt just like you describe. I couldn't finish it and swore off them for good. It's not like a big stout or DIPA or something where there's a lot of roast or hop flavour for the alcohol to blend with. Hope it comes good as it ages a bit more.

Cheers,

John

Do you get much from the 100g Hallertau Mittelfrueh dry

John

Hi John' date='

Poured another pot tonight. The beer has developed favourably in a week. Yes, I can now smell a hoppy aroma from the 100g dry hop[img']smile[/img]. The Capital Pils is drinking quite nicely tonight. I'm not sure though if it's due to the couple of pints of the Pa-rye-it's Amber I have consumed before hand though unsure

Cheers,

Dave.

Fast carbed up another batch of my Amber Ale earlier today, so am enjoying a few on the pour right now.

It's been a little while since I last brewed this. Welcome home sweet nectar. joyful

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Hi John' date='

Poured another pot tonight. The beer has developed favourably in a week. Yes, I can now smell a hoppy aroma from the 100g dry hop[img']smile[/img]. The Capital Pils is drinking quite nicely tonight. I'm not sure though if it's due to the couple of pints of the Pa-rye-it's Amber I have consumed before hand though unsure

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks for following up. I have never dry hopped with a noble variety, so was wondering what it would be like.

Edit: Back OT, I'm enjoying another of my Mosaic / Centennial IPA at the moment. It's still really, really tasty biggrin ... but when I brew something similar again I am thinking about doubling the dry hop to 5g/l of Mosaic.

Cheers,

John

I forgot to post this the other night. I didn't have an Guinness on hand for St Patrick's Day so I added green food colouring to my wheat beer.

It looks the part Hairy' date=' how did it taste?

As for me on St Patrick's day, the wife and I had a six pack of the Guinness cans with the widget, I had three, she had two and one went into a Guinness Pie. Next year I should do a keg of home made Guinness, minus the nitrogen.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

I forgot to post this the other night. I didn't have an Guinness on hand for St Patrick's Day so I added green food colouring to my wheat beer.

It looks the part Hairy' date=' how did it taste?

As for me on St Patrick's day, the wife and I had a six pack of the Guinness cans with the widget, I had three, she had two and one went into a Guinness Pie. Next year I should do a keg of home made Guinness, minus the nitrogen.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

It didn't taste any different. I had a perception that it would be different but once I removed the pre-conceived thoughts of taste from my mind I couldn't taste the difference. i.e. I used mind control.

Plus it was colouring, not flavouring wink

I like using Coopers Best Extra Stout in pies; it is much richer.

First. Homebrew. Ever.

YyIfnjg.jpg

It's the 'Bewitched' Amber Ale that comes with the 8.5L DIY Craft Beer kit. 2 weeks in the fermentation vessel, 13 days in the bottle now. It still has a bit of what I'd call a 'raw' malt taste - without being sugary sweet - but it's a fine beer. I'm already thinking I have to pace myself because I can't wait to open bottle 2.

I apologise that I didn't capture it head-and-all, straight out of the bottle, but I was too damned eager to taste it.

Archived