Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2016

Scottie

It might be my imagination but the heffe seems to be more bland now than it was a few weeks ago , still picking up a banana bread start , light hops but almost bubblegum finish that I'm almost sure wasn't there a few weeks ago , looks great in the glass with a marshmallow head on pour , cloudy as expected but just not quite the same .

It was stored for 2 weeks or so at 24°C after bottling then put in pantry at Adelaide old stone building ambient (been rather warm ) .....I thought flavours were pretty well locked in after bottling ? Can't pick up the same aroma I had on early samples either .....curious but still pretty tasty

Cheers

Marko :-)

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'day Markoman, in my experience you've got to drink weissbier really quick as I have found the same as you, that the flavour starts to drop off noticeably after a couple of weeks. Not much, but they don't have the same freshness and pop as when they were just carbonated.

Cheers,

John

G'day Markoman' date=' in my experience you've got to drink weissbier really quick as I have found the same as you, that the flavour starts to drop off noticeably after a couple of weeks. Not much, but they don't have the same freshness and pop as when they were just carbonated.

Cheers,

John[/quote']

+1

And don't keg it.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Still has plenty of fizz and yeastiness but think pop is a good description of what its lost

a 450 ml bottle will fill an imp. Pint glass perfectly with the best head retention of any batch so far .

I had thought that brew was infected and was very close to tipping it but will now try harder to just drink it faster .

Do saison degrade quickly in the bottle as well ? Have a batch I'm bottling on Feb 3.

Happy brewing

Fules Gold AKA fu(gg)les Gold

Just tapped this one, 3 weeks kegged after 4 weeks in the Fermenter.

It is amazing the difference 1/2 whirlfloc makes when you remember to add it to the boil, there is no Chill Haze on this one.

This one uses my Golden Ale Grain Bill and hop schedule yet the Fuggle/Maris Otter combination is predominate at this early stage. These two go together like horse and carriage. Lovely English style beer, time to pull my second one.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

So this one jumped the keg Que.

It's up there with the best kit I've done as I had suspected from the smell bubbling out the FV.

When it was fermenting it has a mango / melon / passion fruit smell.

It's a little bit bitter, but I like that in a beer.

It's lost that Mango when it was fermenting and has more of a really nice smooth citrus flavor.

Very, very refreshing.

This one is on the list for a quick turn around brew.

Not even a month from start to finish and it's a bloody good drop....

Only thing I would change would be dry hoping later, maybe 2 days before cold crashing.

Thanks Coopers, Your Australian Pale Ale is Amazingly good for a kit beer.

Hi All.

First post here.

Thought I'd share this one I put down last week.

Got the idea from another forum and tweaked it a little.

Couldn't resist taking a sample because the smell is driving me crazy and whack…. Its going to be a ripper beer.

1.7kg Coopers Australia Pale Ale

1.5kg Morgans Extra pale malt extract liquid

10g 15min Galaxy

25g 10min Cascade

20g 10min Citra

10g 10min Galaxy

Yeast US05

20g Citra dry hopped day 5

30g Cascade dry hopped day 5

Brew size - 23 litres

Brew Date - 10/1/16

Cold Crash -

Keg Date -

Ferment at 18 degrees

OG - 1046

FG -

Finished up

FG - 1.010

ABV - 4.64

Cheers, Suds

Chinook Pale Ale today. Trying a couple of glasses during today's brew day. It has been kegged since Tuesday, so it does need more time for the flavours to meld better, and also for the yeast to drop fully, but promising so far. Getting a bit of a pineapple flavour out of it, if a little tart at the moment but that should mellow out. Could be due to adding CaSO4 and MgSO4 to the mash water. Or maybe that's just Chinook on its own. lol Not a bad drop though, nice and refreshing too.

12669656_10208984159549787_7705230592750039642_n.jpg?oh=63d1f359ee84e610e75ff06c7628ea8b&oe=57235C93

Cheers

Kelsey

Yeah it's pretty good.

I do love the smell of Chinook in the boil though so maybe I should give a Chinook SMASH a go. However this Monday is a Public Holiday down here and I am doing your Red Ale again.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Not the ones I have brewed' date=' they all got better and better with each month in the bottle.[/quote']

To test my theory I had another of my Wyeast 3725 Saison yesterday afternoon. It's been in the bottle for about 6 weeks now and is getting nicer and nicer. I've got about 8 bottles left of this now.

Also had a cheeky sample of my Belgo-inspired pale ale after a week and a half in the bottle. Carbonation is nice already but the beer as a whole will definitely be better with a bit more time. I can taste plenty of potential, but the final 7% ABV gives it a little more body and fullness than I was hoping for. The alcohol doesn't stick out or anything, just makes it taste a bit 'bigger' than expected. I'll have another sample in a month or so and see how it's all coming together.

Nice looking beers Kelsey & Scottie. cool

Lovely clarity & hue on that one of yours Scottie. Beers in that colour spectrum I generally gravitate towards as there is usually something very yummy about them.

A little while back I brewed a beer I dubbed "Grapefruit Overload". It solely used Chinook & Riwaka. Both of these hops throw big grapefruit flavours/aromas. The beer turned out pleasant enough, but I felt was very one dimensional when it came to the hop character. One could say it lacked a certain 'Je Ne Sais Quoi'. tongue

Much like my view of Citra & Nelson Sauvin, I feel these two hops probably work a little better when mixed in with other complimentary varieties.

Others may see it differently of course. innocent

Cheers,

Lusty.

Citra & Nelson Sauvin' date=' I feel these two hops probably work a little better when mixed in with other complimentary varieties.

[/quote']

I have unfortunately finished a Citra Rye IPA and it was stunning.

It had Citra, Centennial and Azacca with a fair whack of rye.

Currently drinking a Citra Pale, late hopped with Citra, no dry hop some rye, yum.

Do saison degrade quickly in the bottle as well ? Have a batch I'm bottling on Feb 3.

Not the ones I have brewed' date=' they all got better and better with each month in the bottle.[/quote']

great to know , CBA bottling it during the week so it got a little longer in FV and early signs look promising .

not quite as funky as one of Ben 10s saisons i'm betting since i kept temps below 25 max

The golden ale is developing well in the bottle , when i learn how to upload photos i'll do so but has wonderful colour/aroma and is running out fast since friends also rather like it .

Unreal ale is still a little young but sneaky test bottle was pretty good so far

have almost run out of bottles by now , faced with dilemma of either A: buying PETs B: tipping the degrading but still tasty heffe out or C: drinking faster

without the help/advice i got here i'd have given up so big thanks all round

marko smile

My last with Wyeast Biere De Garde was pitched when ambient was ..................

35°c.

Apparently that yeast has minimal funk. No issues at all, tastes great.

I'd be scared to try that will Belle.

I'll make one with MJ's Belgian in the next few days, it's still bloddy warm here, see how that goes.

I don't use a fridge for Saison. The FV sits on my brew desk at whatever temp the shed is.

Cheers Lusty. happy I hope the tartness or whatever it is mellows with more time in the keg though.

I'm pretty sure the red ale keg doesn't have much left in it now, but it just keeps on keeping on, I had 3 pints plus this schooner of it yesterday through the brew day, and will use the bottles for weeknight beers after work. The sweetness has diminished a little since it was first kegged and it tastes much more balanced now, either that or I've just sort of gotten used to it. lol Whatever the case, it's a really nice version of the recipe. happy

12687875_10208984386395458_7184904727207746020_n.jpg?oh=fdb3dd8902828aa6a798d633e0c636ec&oe=572BF9B9

Cheers

Kelsey

My last with Wyeast Biere De Garde was pitched when ambient was ..................

35°c.

Apparently that yeast has minimal funk. No issues at all' date=' tastes great.

I'd be scared to try that will Belle.

.[/quote']

ohhh...i used danstar belle , not too funky at my temps

i remember what FNQ an NT wet season feels like ....here in Radelaide it's a dry heat and 25 mm of rain is enough to cause chaos here

Archived