Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2016

Scottie

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Kelsey,

Yes looks a tad darker and probly more flavour with the original Cluster in play,

Im pretty sure XXXX stoped using CLUSTER hops about ten years ago...and switched to POR for abundance reasons and probly to cut costs....

Last few days have been cracking open my Golden Promise Citra SMaSH summer ale. I reckon it's the best brew I have made yet. Very fruity, almost like a glass of pineapple juice but not acidic, and at 23 IBUs is perfectly balanced for the style. It has a very slight and pleasant carbonic bite that I hadn't been able to detect with my higher IBU brews.

Totally chuffed with this one and will definitely make it again.

Also, had a few at the Bavarian Beer Cafe the other night and was really impressed with the Butchers Bride Pale Ale from Urban Craft Brewing Co.

Last few days have been cracking open my Golden Promise Citra SMaSH summer ale. I reckon it's the best brew I have made yet. Very fruity' date=' almost like a glass of pineapple juice but not acidic, and at 23 IBUs is perfectly balanced for the style.

[/quote']

Funny how some brewers can taste different flavours in hops. For me with Citra its just one big hit of citrus/grapefruit. I wonder if its the low IBUs and your getting influence from the GP malt. I usually go 40 IBUs for APAs. What yeast did you use?

Hey Kelsey' date='

Yes looks a tad darker and probly more flavour with the original Cluster in play,

Im pretty sure XXXX stoped using CLUSTER hops about ten years ago...and switched to POR for abundance reasons and probly to cut costs....[/quote'] They still list Golden Cluster as being in Bitter on their website but I think they also use Super Pride for bittering, perhaps with a small amount of Cluster toward the end of the boil.

I guess I've brewed an historical version of it then aside from the color being out. I'll do a side by side test tomorrow with a real one to see any color differences and then adjust on the next batch. And that'll probably be about the last time I brew anything like that too. lol It's fun to see if you can nail it though, especially given a fair few get into homebrewing to try to brew their favourite swill.

Funny how some brewers can taste different flavours in hops. For me with Citra its just one big hit of citrus/grapefruit. I wonder if its the low IBUs and your getting influence from the GP malt. I usually go 40 IBUs for APAs. What yeast did you use?

Until now I have going for 36-40 IBUs. This style I deliberately targeted a Bitterness/Gravity ratio of 0.5 to give me a technical bitterness/gravity balance, and that landed on 23 IBUs, most from a late hop addition:

5 grams - 60 mins for 7 IBUs

20 grams - 20 mins for 17 IBUs

20 grams dry hopped for one day prior to cold crashing.

I used US-05.

I have also made the same recipe using Barrett Burston ale malt. I only bottled it a couple of days ago, but I'm curious to see the difference in flavour.

I had a bridgroads ELLA IPA yesterday... not a huge fan at all' date='

Not sure about anyone else but ELLA hops havnt impressed me at all, For aussie hops Galaxy hands down over Ella![/quote']

Not all hops are destined not to be used for single hop brews. Ella is likely one of those. I'm just starting to play around with this hop a little more & am growing quite fond of the qualities it does have.

Although it is listed as being a half sister to Galaxy, I don't look at it the same way as I do Galaxy. For one, it is more floral & has a nice spicy tone to it. I have boiled it once over @ 45mins & found it a little harsh, & now prefer to short boil, whirlpool/steep or dry hop with it only.

I will be dry hopping my current pale ale with a mix of Ella, Nelson Sauvin & Ahtanum. This mix produced one of the nicest smelling pale ales I have produced. joyful

Sometimes I don't want a punch in the face from my beer, just a kiss on the cheek. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 4 weeks later...

After earlier today inspecting the bottles of my latest pilsner that have been in the brew fridge since last Wednesday and noting that they looked as if carbonation had occurred, I decided for experiments' sake to put one in my keg fridge. I poured it about an hour or so ago when I got home from work.

These bottles sat in the fridge at 0 degrees for 2 days because I had no space elsewhere and I was using it to crash chill a yeast starter. So, they've only been warmed up to 16-18 or whatever since Friday lunch time (or however long they took to warm up in there) - 4 days.

The bottle I tried earlier was already quite well carbonated, maybe not as much as it would have been if left longer, but pretty well all the way there. Certainly a good level to enjoy the beer. I find this to be rather unexpected given they sat at 0 for two days (and the yeast probably dropped out in that time), and have only been warmed up for 4 days. The beer did finish fermenting too; I always make sure of this.

So, this is what it looked like. It wasn't as cloudy as it appears there, probably a combination of bad lighting and condensation on the glass, although it wasn't crystal clear like they usually are either, despite the use of Polyclar. Will see how they go with further ageing, which they do need as the beer is nowhere near its best yet. Still, all the right flavours were there and I'm looking forward to seeing how the kegged portion goes when it goes on tap soon.

1481623012_6_394.JPG

Cheers

Kelsey

I found a bottle of something I brewed way back in 2012 recently, so I chucked it into the brew fridge and since it has been cold crashing a batch for a few days it's now nice and cold, so I decided to pour it and see what it tasted like.

It's either an extract amber ale or an amber lager I made from a Euro lager kit and dark crystal steeped, and I suspect it's the latter. It doesn't actually taste too bad although any hop influence has definitely gone. It had a few floaties in it too which I found interesting, likely just yeast though. Carbonation was still perfectly fine too. It was bottled in a clear twist top and the bottle had quite a bit of stain/scum on the inside after pouring and rinsing it out with hot water.

Interesting to taste it, but I only drank about a quarter of the glass before tipping the rest down the sink lol

1482295219_15_281.JPG

Cheers

Kelsey

Currently drinking my Chinook APA. This was my first attempt at Home Brewing with assistance from my brother in law. This has now been bottled for 8 weeks. I can’t really remember what the hop schedule was as I had no idea what we were doing (or adding) but it’s probably a tad high in bitterness for my liking. It is also a little under carbonated (I think we used 6gm/l and bulk primed).

All in all, not a bad effort for my first crack. Better than the Brewart APA I brewed.

Chinook%20APA_zpsoanmdmhu.jpg

I've had a couple of sample glasses of the newest kegs to be tapped tonight. The first was a Bo Pils, which was kegged about 3 weeks ago or something. This one unfortunately has a bit of chill haze in it despite the use of Polyclar; I didn't use any isinglass though, because the yeast is such a good floccer now. Anyway, I had had a couple of bottles of this brew earlier on (which were the last of them) and although the keg isn't fully carbed yet, it tastes a hell of a lot better than the bottles did. Just goes to show the difference between the two really, in terms of conditioning time, and probably carbonating method as well.

The second one is the Citra pale ale, which I'm drinking now. This beer will need another week or two in the keg before it really hits its stride I think. It was only kegged on Saturday, so it's still pretty green and slightly 'yeasty' on the nose. I do like the flavour and what I can smell of the aroma through the yeasty influence of these Citra hops. Probably a bit on dimensional on its own, but I can see how it would pair well with other hops, which is the next pale ale recipe on the agenda.

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived