Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2016

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well finally getting around to doing my Orange Blossom Saison.

2.75kg LME

500g LDE

1kg Orange Blossom Honey

50g Hallatauer - Boil 60 mins - 17.5 IBU's

30g Willamette - Boil 60 mins - 13.2 IBU's

.25 Tsp Irish Moss - Boil 10 mins

2 pkt Belle Saison

Est ABV 6.3%

Bitterness 30.7 IBU's

Colour 4.1 SRM

23Lt in FV

Just in the middle of the boil at the moment. Really looking forward to this one. At least temperature will not be a critical factor. Probably about 28C.

Next three (after I sort out my temperature control) are

Dark Side Jaffa Porter

Toasted Sunflower Weissbier (for competition in our local show)

Coopers Pale Ale with 90g Citra Hops.

Cheers

Bill

perhaps next on my to-do list now that it's getting warmer. Ever tried MJ's Saison yeast?: http://mangrovejacks.com/products/m29-french-sasion-yeast-10-g

Yep' date=' good stuff and less ester prone than Belle.[/quote']Thanks. Good to know. It's easier for me to source than Belle AND... it's cheaper too!

I'm intrigued by your recipe... particularly the generous use of Caraaroma...

My first brew day for a while is coming up this week, most likely on Thursday. It's another pale ale, this time trying out Simcoe late in the boil and as a dry hop to see what it tastes like.

25L batch, based on 75% brewhouse efficiency

Water treatment

11.56 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

1.31 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

0.14 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -

0.13 g Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -

Grains

4.500 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.6 EBC) Grain 6 84.1 %

0.500 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 7 9.3 %

0.250 kg Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EBC) Grain 8 4.7 %

0.100 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 9 1.9 %

Mashed at 66/67C for 90 minutes

Hops

20.00 g Magnum {12.20 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 25.0 IBUs

25.00 g Simcoe {12.60 %} - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 6.4 IBUs

25.00 g Simcoe {12.60 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 12 8.0 IBUs

75 minute boil

Yeast

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II, fermented at 18C. Dry hop with 40g Simcoe after fermentation is complete.

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.0504 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0114 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %

Bitterness: 36.9 IBUs

Est Color: 15.4 EBC

Cheers

Kelsey

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.0504 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0114 SG

Gotta love that precision! biggrin
lol Yep' date=' it actually came about as a result of the temp correction thingy on my phone spitting out numbers to 6 or 7 decimal places. I didn't quite need that much precision, but half a point does affect the efficiency a bit.

Looking forward to trying out the 1272. If the starter I currently have going is any indication it should flocculate quite well. It was on the stir plate until last night when I turned it off and two hours later the top half was already quite clear. At room temp.

After this batch I'm gonna do another XXXX rip off, and then another pale ale this time with Citra, Cascade and Simcoe. [img']cool[/img]

Love Summer Time Brew Days, get to do all the clean up in the Backyard rather than inside in the kitchen.

Anyways put down a Bright Ale with Saaz and Cascade - hopefully in the Little Creatures tradition.

Big helping of Pilsner (75%) backed up with Vienna, Wheat and Crystal.

Pitched US05.

Looking for a good one, I've been very slack of late and have drank for store bought beer than homebrew. Got some good ideas for my next brew though which I promise to do in three weeks bandit

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hey all, need some help with my next brew batches. FV is empty till I get back from holidays with fam, just trying to plan the next few brews, I have 3 packs waiting.

I have the Dec ROTM, which I cant wait to do.

I have a Mangrove Jack Craft Series IPA pouch and 1kg of light DME. I want to make this into a black IPA. Can I just substitute the Light DME for a Dark LME?, maybe add 500g of the Light LME? Would the kit yeast be sufficient. I'm also looking to go down the slippery slope of steeping some grain (preferable to the LME). So what grain could I use to make the pouch into a black IPA?

I'm guessing I might want to do this first as it will be longer to condition than the others?

I was also given a Coopers Mexican Cerevza, with a LHBS 1kg blend (500g dextrose, 250g Matlodextrin, 250g Light DME). How could I improve this?

I have 60g of cascade hops left over to place in any of them.

I'm still very new at this and trying to learn fast. I'll probably bottle the Cerveza, Keg the IPA, and Keg the ROTM.

Cheers in advance

Matt H

Mash has about half an hour left in the Simcoe pale ale I posted in post 805 above. I revised the water additions after I posted that, and added about 12g gypsum and 2g MgSO4 to the 36L strike water in order to bring the SO4 up to around 230ppm, while the existing chloride in the water is around 65ppm, although it might be a little higher after the storms around the dam catchment areas in recent weeks. Rain out there always makes the water temporarily harder due to the limestone in the area. Calcium levels are up around 110ppm from the high 20s too. No chloride or chalk was added. Didn't see much point with such tiny amounts.

I also crushed up and tried to dissolve a campden tablet in some warm water as described on the packet, but the stupid stuff wouldn't dissolve very well. OH well, in it went anyway. Maybe next time I'll use a mortar and pestle if there's one here.

I fixed up my grain mill too, well, made a new gear guard for it since I can't find the original that came with it. This worked much better than the grain deflector in the hopper itself and I had no uncracked grains this time, or if there were any I couldn't see them. There weren't many last time without the guard either but still enough to be noticed, and not get those precious sugars out of.

Both my XXXX rip off and Chintennial pale ale kegs blew dry as well, today and yesterday respectively, so I only have the red ale left on tap now, but I do have 8 bottles of the pale ale, and 12 bottles of a Bo Pils that I did before the current CCing batch, so not a complete catastrophe. The current batch will be kegged on Saturday and the next one pitched with yeast straight after, so should only be a couple of weeks before 3 full kegs are ready again.

Cheers

Kelsey

It was probably at its best about 3-4 weeks ago really. The hop aroma tends to fade away in time, but the flavour was still excellent. This is why I tend to brew my pale ales last in each block of three kegs, so they go on tap as fresh as possible.

Today's brew day went well, I ended up with a tad extra pre-boil volume and a slightly higher SG, and the post boil SG this time was pretty much bang on. I'll wait until I tip the batch into the FV to work out the overall efficiency but I should get a minimum of 25 litres which gives me my target 75%. The cube was almost filled before the trub started to sneak in so I might be able to sneak another litre in to the fermenter as was the case on the current batch CCing.

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived