Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2016

Canadian Eh!L

Hey Gang,

Happy new year to you all!

After 889 post and 19920 views it would seem we have worn out another Brew Day!! thread. So, its time for a new edition.

Please, lets continue on for another year of laughs and learning from each other!smile

Here's a link to Brew Day!! 2015 for reference purposes.

Regards,

Chad

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brew Day!!happy

It's -20C here in the mountains and just too damn cold again to brew outsideannoyed. So I'm in the kitchen putting down my first ever real PM.

English Bitter

1.7 Kg OS Draught can

.5Kg Cooper's LDM

.5 Kg ESB malt (Gambrinus)

.25 Kg Carastan 45L (Bairds)

15 g Fuggles 5.2% (20mins)

30 g Fuggles (5mins)

1.5 L starter WLP013 London ale

21L water

Mashed in the oven @65-67C for 60mins OG 1.044 IBUs 35ish

Made a Saison today' date=' first brew for the year.

Simple one with Fuggles.

This will be fermented at shed temp which is 35° at the moment, so it will be interesting.[/quote']

Disco-Stu1.gif

Disco Stu suggests this should turn out to be one funking beer! lol

I've got kind of a variation on the Helga's Cook Kosch recipe down at the moment.

1 can Canadian Blonde.

500g LDM boiled for 10 mins in 5 litres of water with 25g or so of Hallertau

1kg of my LHB's take on BE2

US 05 re-hydrated & pitched at about 24c, dropped to 20c & pretty steady there.

Made to 23 litres.

I put this together on 31/12, & on a whim I steeped the Hallertau I still had left over, a bit over 25g steeped for 30 mins then tipped the liquid into the FV today.

It got a really good aroma when I poured the steeped hops in, so I expect this will be a pretty good brew.

The krausen still hasn't collapsed yet, but I'll let it do it's thing for a while yet, then chill it down as best as I can next week, to see if that helps.

If not I'll just bottle it as is around day 14; I'm sure it will sort itself out in the bottle, especially if I give the bottles a bit more than 2 weeks to condition, & refrigerate each bottle a week prior to consumption.

Recipe: Citra Pale

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.053 SG

Estimated Color: 14.0 EBC

Estimated IBU: 46.2 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 76.2 %

0.50 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 9.5 %

0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 9.5 %

0.25 kg Crystal Wheat (100.0 EBC) Grain 4 4.8 %

15.00 g Dana [13.90 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 22.9 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -

60.00 g Citra [12.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 7 23.3 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Threw in a teaspoon of Gypsum for some pH adjust.

Gday gang,

Been a bit slack but getting back into things now.

My first Lager's, and I'll be following Otto's quick method - cheers Otto!

Brew 16.1

Czech Pils

But with adding some White Labs Clarity Ferm

I have some friends who have problems with gluten, so I'll see if they are game enough to try my beer.

Brew 16.2

T'sar's Tar

Both bubbling away nicely at 11.5 C

Cheers & happy new beers!

Peekaboo

Back to basics, I am brewing the new Thomas Coopers Selection Boot Makers Pale Ale with 1.5kg of Coopers Wheat Malt Extract. Topped off with a simple 5 litre 5 minute boil of Galaxy - 5 litres of water and 1/3 can of wheat malt. Pitched US05 and popped in the brew fridge at 18 degrees Celsius. Needed a Keg Filler and running short on time so I put this one down tonight after playing cricket all day.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi all

Finally bottled my session IPA yesterday so 2 brews to go down today.

Grabbed a Coopers Sparkling Ale kit before they ran out a while ago so thinking of doing the Scotch Ale as per the coopers recipe. I'm not a huge fan of the actual sparkling ale and if I wanted it it's easily accessible and fairly cheap so thought I'd use the kit for something else. in my small FV I'm doing the Vlad the Impale Ale as per the craft recipe. Not going to tinker with either recipe this time.

Hoping to put this one down on Saturday , will be my first AG IPA. It is roughly based on a recipe for DogfishHead 60 minute IPA. Apparently the Thomas Fawcett Amber malt is essential as it adds a certain resiny flavour and I couldn't source it locally so waiting for my shipment from QLD.

This will also be the first time I have played with water chemistry - I am using packaged spring water that i have the analysis for and using brewers friend software have worked out I need to add 2 teaspoons of gypsum. Looking forward to this one!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com

Recipe: DFH 60 1.0

Brewer: Ken

Asst Brewer:

Style: American IPA

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 30.22 l

Post Boil Volume: 25.84 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Bottling Volume: 22.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.063 SG

Estimated Color: 11.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 65.4 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 75.6 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Est ABV : 6.5% (before bottling)

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

7.00 kg Bairds Maris Otter (5.0 EBC) Grain 1 96.9 %

0.22 kg Amber Malt (43.3 EBC) Grain 2 3.1 %

23.12 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 34.6 IBUs

16.51 g Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 35.0 min Hop 4 13.0 IBUs

16.51 g Simcoe [14.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 17.7 IBUs

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -

2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 7 -

28.00 g Amarillo [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

15.00 g Simcoe [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: 001 - Kens BIAB 67c

Total Grain Weight: 7.22 kg

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time

Mash Step Add 32.83 l of water and heat to 67.0 C 67.0 C 90 min

Hi Xenon.

You certainly are moving forward with your level of brewing at a great rate of knots! cool

Warrior is a great hop for bittering IPA's due to it's light citrus notes, low co-humulone levels (smooth bittering) & high alpha acid percentage. A shame you couldn't sneak a 20-25gm addition of Amarillo in @ flameout/whirlpool as is listed in the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA clone recipe I looked at over at BYO (they used Palisade).

Also I was wondering what yeast you plan to ferment your brew with? The Dogfish clone recipe suggests a British Ale yeast.

Good luck with the brew. I'll look forward to your review of it down the track. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Happy new year everyone. I've been a bit quiet the last few weeks but that's cause I've been away from a PC. First two brews are done for the year.

Hop Bomb IPA (Craft ROTM sometime last year)

1.3kg Diablo IPA tin

250g Pale LME

12g Bravo @ 5 min

13g Bravo dry hop

25g Citra dry hop

BRY-97 yeast

9 litre batch

OG 1048

Next recipe is something I've been looking forward to for a while now. I finally bought a Crown Urn so I could have a go at all grain brewing, BIAB style. For my first recipe I did the Centennial Blonde which was the number 1 user recipe on homebrewtalk.com - Lusty shared the link to the top 100 recipes last year - https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/14660/

Centennial Blonde

3.2 kg BB Ale Malt

.34kg Briess Carapils

.34kg Weyermann Munich II

.23 JW Vienna

7g Centennial @ 55 min

7g Centennial @ 35 min

7g Cascade @ 20 min

7g Cascade @ 5 min

Nottingham yeast

21 litre batch

OG 1040

The brew day went really well, from what I can tell so far I hit my target gravity and the urn is super friendly to use & clean. This is a really simple recipe but the best thing of all is the price. All the malt, hops & yeast cost me a total of $23.40 - given there is not a lot of hops and it will only be a mid-strength but I am still pretty happy with the cost outlaid. Especially seeing that I got a top deal on the urn.

If anyone is after a 40 litre Crown Urn I would highly recommend National Home Brew

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Brilliant stuff mate! I too am a big fan of the cheaper cost of ingredients for AG brewing. I really should fix up my inventory in Beersmith so I'm getting an accurate idea of costings. One day... lol I used to have it all sorted until the old computer crashed. The urns are great for doing normal 20-25 litre size batches I reckon. Been using mine for over 3 years now and still really enjoying it. No desire to 'upgrade'.

Anyway, I'm sure the brew will turn out nicely and look forward to hearing how it turns out for you. happy

Cheers

Kelsey

A shame you couldn't sneak a 20-25gm addition of Amarillo in @ flameout/whirlpool as is listed in the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA clone recipe I looked at over at BYO (they used Palisade).

Also I was wondering what yeast you plan to ferment your brew with? The Dogfish clone recipe suggests a British Ale yeast.

ahh I didn't see that recipe' date=' I was going off the one in Homebrew talk top 100 recipes 2015.

(http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25709 )

I will certainly have enough amarillo left over to do a 20g flameout addition. Most of the posters said the homebrew talk recipe one was bang-on so hadn't looked for alternatives. Also the original recipe called for "pacman" yeast which isn't available anymore, but recommendations were for a good attenuating clean yeast such as 05 or notto so think I will rehydrate 2 packs of that.

Not aiming for a clone necessarily as I have never tried the beer and wouldn't be able to tell if it worked, rather it seems like a tasty IPA and not too complicated for my limited AG experience[img']biggrin[/img]

Back in Oz now my and beer supply is relatively low. Time to put down a quick beer.

I will doing the TC Preachers Hefe with 1.5 kg liquid wheat malt. I am going to use the kit yeast to see how the new product turns out.

I have used the TC Wheat on a few occasions and it always makes a nice beer that is an early drinker, although I have never used the kit yeast. I am not sure if the kit has actually changed but I understand the yeast is a different strain. Based on the description on the can it looks like it will be similar to WB-06; has anyone on here fermented with it yet?

Figured I might as well do a brew day tomorrow, nothing adventurous, just a quick keg filler really but should turn out pretty good anyway. After something nice and refreshing so I think this will deliver that.

4.000 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 84.2 %

0.500 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 10.5 %

0.250 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 3 5.3 %

Mash at 64C for 90 minutes

75 minute boil:

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 4 13.5 IBUs

15.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 19.5 IBUs

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 2.3 IBUs

10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 7 1.5 IBUs

Harvested US-05 yeast, as usual aiming for 25 litres in the FV. No-chilled (hops not adjusted).

Est Original Gravity: 1.0434 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0072 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %

Bitterness: 36.8 IBUs

Est Color: 15.4 EBC

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived