Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2016

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi brewer's,

Mark, your Ye Olde IPA sound very interesting! I'll try and follow your posts as I'm really keen to learn about this one. What flavour profile are you chasing? Is it simply a yeast funky IPA?

I've got 2 lagers in the FV's:

FV1 Czech pilsner as per Coopers recipe with added White Labs Clarity Ferm (gluten reducing and chill haze product)

FV2 Tsar's Tar Baltic Porter ROTM.

Waited till the porter reached about 70% towards expected FG, then ramped the brew fridge up to 18.5C.

Both brews reached FG within 8 days.

I'll let the yeast suck some junk and I'll soon start the ramp down to 10C and add Finings (aka Gelatin) to both brews and continue ramp down to 0-2C for a period of time until it's convenient for me to bottle.

I enjoy a good lager so hoping this Czech comes out half ok then I may do another sooner rather than later.

Cheers and beers!

PJ

FV 1: Ye Olde IPA.

Sounds interesting! I was looking at Wyeast 9097PC with great interest when placing my last order. Ended up buying 1469PC West Yorkshire instead' date=' but really interested to see how yours turns out. Good luck with it!

FV1 Czech pilsner as per Coopers recipe with added White Labs Clarity Ferm (gluten reducing and chill haze product)

Interested to hear how it turns out with the Clarity Ferm. Have you used that before?

Cheers,

John

Thanks Lusty - I have looked at this diet before (Ive tried most at one time or another!) and I have a CD with a 5:2 diet plan on it but I haven't tried it as the meal plan seemed to have be pretty restrictive even on the non-fasting days (ie steamed fish and broccoli for breakfast!) - do you just eat what you want on those days or stick to a calorie/carb controlled diet?

What I appreciated with this diet is that it only pressures you for 2 days a week. On those two days I follow the allowable 600 calorie intake to the letter & I don't cheat it. In the beginning on the other days' date=' I did what I wanted.

Every day, in the morning before breakfast, I would weigh myself & add that number to a daily weight chart I was compiling. Weighing yourself becomes a BIG motivator once you see the weight coming down. Once you see the weight coming down, you start to say to yourself, what can I do within reason on the off-fasting days to perhaps bring the weight down more quickly? For me, I simply started to take time to construct meals over the course of a day using foods I enjoy that did not exceed the recommended average daily calorie intake for men, being 2500 calories. I would work the calories in beer into those calculations if I felt like a few ales on any given day.

A great site to help you compile recipes & understand your calorie intake is www.calorieking.com.au/. It has calorie listings for just about every food & drink you can think of, & includes calorie counts for a lot of alcoholic beverages (including beer).

Will power is the key & a want to do what's best for yourself. Right now I have a want for a nice cold pale ale from the keg, but my will power is telling me I have to go & edge those lawns before I can have one! lol

Best I get to those lawns, because I'm feeling rather thirsty. biggrin

Apologies for the O.T. stuff. innocent

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks Lusty - I might give it a go.

Only 2bd week on the soup diet and im well sick of it already! sad

Interested to hear how it turns out with the Clarity Ferm. Have you used that before?

Hi John,

Nope this is the first batch. A couple of friends don't agree with the glutens so I thought to make some beer with this and offer them one. No pressure though, as I can't test the ppm's.

On second thought, I'll leave the Gelatine out of this batch - to see how well the Clarity Ferm works.

Cheers

Nick

Hey John & PJ.

I am a fan of funky Brett IPAs but I mainly wanted to see for myself what something like this MIGHT have tasted way back then. It's still a work in progress so the results are yet to be seen.

If you're a fan of hoppy funky pale ales & IPAs I recommend you get your hands on some on this yeast blend: Funktown Pale Ale

It is half ale yeast (the 'Conan' strain apparently) and half wild yeast. While genetically it isn't classified as Brettanomyces it is a wild Saccharomyces strain which exhibits similar flavours to that of Brett. Plus you won't have to wait months & months for the flavour to develop. Plus I've brewed in the same fermenter afterwards without any sign of infection/funk which people sometime worry about.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

bought some danstar belle saison yeast last night so finally got around to putting one down

bubbling away happily .

second Fv has a unreal ale that is my experiment on how hoppy i can handle ,12 days in and smelling /tasting bloody good so looking forward to seeing how it presents in a glass since thanks to you guys/ladies i now care about that

put down today

1x can Coopers liquid light malt

1kg dry wheat malt

300grams dex

5L hop boil with 500grams of the wheat malt

5g Galaxy @ 30 mins

15g galaxy @ 15 mins

15g galaxy @ 5 mins

15g galaxy @ 0 mins

US05 yeast

Made to 23 litres.

Also 15 grams galaxy dry hopped on day 4-5.

recipe from Soundawake ,high hopes ,love galaxy.cheers

Two Brew Fridges two Brews

The Kit Brew (Bootmakers) has been down for 16 days and the All Grain (The Honkey Red) has been down for 8 days. Both set on temperature control and holding 18 degrees Celsius.

Threw 30g of Galaxy into The Honkey Red today.

Will be putting both brews into a cold crash on Friday, and looking to keg them both a week later.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Still got my Chinook pale ale in the FV. It is on day 11 today, and its SG reading was the same as it was on Friday at 1.012, so down the fridge is going to 0C for a week or so of cold crashing during which time I'll add my usual finings before looking to keg it either Monday or Tuesday week. After that goes in the keg/bottles my English bitter/pale ale is going into the FV.

Also bagged up my first hop harvest earlier. I got a massive 1 gram of dried flowers. lollol

Well done there with the hops! My cascade plant i snot in full sun and only really getting going now, no flowers yet so you are that far ahead of me. I might be lucky to hit a gram in total at this rate..

Just bottled my Russian Imperial Stout, 'The Nevsky Prospekt' it tastes ready to drink but they say you should age these, so will try and keep them for a while :-0

Have my S&W Pacific ale in the other FV, (single hop galaxy) just finished with the 4 day dry hop.

Is it a first year plant too? Mine get pretty good all day sun where they are at the moment. I ordered some Maxibloom fertiliser as well to see if that increases the yield a bit. Probably had about 20 flowers to get that 1 gram (they weighed 8g prior to drying). I think I picked them a bit early though, so I'm gonna leave the next lot a little longer before picking them.

Once the harvesting season is over I might have to brew a German lager recipe and throw them all in as late hops and see how they go, being Hallertau hops. And then in keeping with the thread it can go into the FV as my first lager of the year wink

Yes only it's first year. We have a large number of trees in the backyard, so not much light, front yard has lots of light but was not approved by SWMBO to grow hops there..

Spot in the backyard will get good sun if it can travel a couple of metres along the fence, which it has just started doing. Probably should have planted it in a large pot so I could have moved it around to catch some more sun. But she's up and running now, growing about 15cm/day. Feeding it dynamic lifter.

Well my cube of Centennial / Mosaic IPA was down to 20C this morning, so into my sanitized fermenter it went! I took a gravity reading (1.058 - same as post-boil reading) and pitched my Wyeast 1056. The sample tasted really nice, so I am hopeful that it will be pretty tasty once packaged, especially with the extra dry hop to come.

Fruit Salad Ale in my ghetto cooler. (2 styrofoam boxes on top of each other with some frozen bottles/ice packs in there). Currently sitting on 20-22 so pretty happy with that. Airlock is just getting ready to start bubbling by the looks of things, and getting a nice foam starting on top (about 20 hours in)

That ghetto cooler sounds really good actually! I've got one styrofoam box but it was given to me - where do you get them?

I used ones we got from home deliveries from foodland in the end' date=' as they were a lot deeper. I sat the FV in one, the cut the inside of the lid out (as two boxes on top of each other were just touching the airlock I think, so the lid gives me an extra inch or so). the second box is inverted on top.

I have a couple spare you're welcome too, I live in Morphett Vale and work in Underdale so if you're anywhere between there more than happy to drop them round/you can come grab them from my work. (I think you're in Adelaide)

Cheers.

EDIT: couple of pics, excuse the quality.

[img']http://i.imgur.com/aMdnyKP.jpg?2[/img]

pZmxK2e.jpg?1

Cool' date=' good work Anzacpaul! If it were me, I would probably have put some duct tape around it to seal it up, feel very happy with myself and then think 'Oh crap!' [img']lol[/img]

Haha I did think about a way to seal the edges, but the temp seems to be ok at the moment, sitting dead on 20c. I'm gonna stick in two frozen bottles over night and see what it comes down to in the morning, I'll be very impressed if I can get it to 18!!

Maybe a weight on top would help seal it a little more if required? The smell coming out of the airlock is wonderful, smells of Amarillo.

EDIT: So woke up this morning to the temperature of 18c, with both bottles melted. Switched them out for 1 bottle and 2 ice packs, so will check again when i'm home, but definitely looking like a viable method, apart from having to change the ice bottles every 12 hours.

Apologies for the double post.

Ok so i've run into a problem. Got home from work and immediately knew something wasn't right. I couldn't hear the airlock bubbling. Opened it up to check, and sure enough, still bubbling away, but at a greatly reduced rate. Checked my temperature 14c!!!!! Ice bottle still half frozen. I added a weight to the top today to help seal it, and i'm wondering if that's the cause, or if it's just from chilling it repeatedly over a couple of days.

I'm guessing the brew will still be ok? I've removed the lid and ice packs for now to help bring the temp back up, but i never expected the foam esky to work so well!

EDIT: Think I panicked prematurely, Left the lid off and 2 hours later the brew is up to around 18 again and happily bubbling. Think i might stick with just one ice bottle in the ghetto cooler!!!

I have a Cluster hoped OS Draught in the fermenter with US-05 yeast @ 18° C, looking to get a XXXX Ale like in the full strength ABV of around 4.9%. happy

Disclaimer: I have never had a drink of the commercial beer and I'm not likely to. tongue

but I don't mind the hop flavour and hope to go back to the original idea and the beginning of the beer as it is more inspirational, from my point of view. wink

Cheers.

Archived