Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2016

Otto Von Blotto

Yes, your brew will be fine Paul. The yeast might have been put to sleep a bit with the temp drop but they'll be awake again with it rising back up. It won't cause any issues with the beer though. cool

Unfortunately, those sorts of ghetto temp control setups are a bit of trial and error to begin with but once you work it out it'll be all good.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another 2 of the coopers recipes on the go...... Anzac Ale in the large FV and The Gila Monster Black IPA in the small FV.

Happy with the last 2 - Scotch Ale And Vlad the Impale ale, had a taste on the weekend and both pretty good.

Need another proper Dark Ale, have a can so thinking this weekend I'll do:

150 gms Dark Crystal

150 gms Choc Malt

50 gms Roasted Malt

25 gms Fuggles - 5 min boil, 30 min rest

OS Dark Ale can

1.7kg Dark LME

I'm very new to most if this, especially using grains so any tips welcome

Cheers

Chris

Yes' date=' your brew will be fine Paul. The yeast might have been put to sleep a bit with the temp drop but they'll be awake again with it rising back up. It won't cause any issues with the beer though. [img']cool[/img]

Unfortunately, those sorts of ghetto temp control setups are a bit of trial and error to begin with but once you work it out it'll be all good.

Thanks Otto, I may have an issue with a bung stick on thermometer as well so just ordered another from ebay!

Thanks Otto' date=' I may have an issue with a bung stick on thermometer as well so just ordered another from ebay! [/quote']

Hi Paul, I just discovered my stick on thermometer was out by 2-4 degrees ... thought it was working ok until I started checking my new controller and realised something was out.

As others on here advised me they are really only good for a rough guide, when you get into maintaining accurate temps like you are its probably a good idea to use a better thermometer, food grade ones from Big W or cold & flu ones are pretty good. smile

BTW ... love the gettho cooler. I am using a dodgy fridge that can only go as low as about 8 deg, when I cold crash it becomes a gettho fridge w00t I have to pack it with ice bricks to get it down to around 2 deg.

I'm very new to most if this' date=' especially using grains so any tips welcome

Cheers

Chris [/quote']

Hey Chris, that is a very nice line up of ales in your profile pic ;)

You’re recipe looks good but if I could make one suggestion it would be to switch the Dark Ale LME tin with a Coopers Pale Ale tin (Woo Toucan!). As per the SMOTY recipe found here. You can use the Fuggles instead of the EK Goldings.

Just steep the grain in a bowl of hop tap water for 30 minutes, strain into a pot. Bring it to the boil for 5 minutes, add your Fuggles and boil for another 5 minutes as you’ve described above. Add more hops at flameout or just let it cool, it’s up to you.

The extra Pale Ale tin will give it some great bitterness and help keep the beer in the dark ale category. Lots of other forum members have made the SMOTY Ale and it’s a cracker. Add both packets of yeast too.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

I'm very new to most if this' date=' especially using grains so any tips welcome

Cheers

Chris [/quote']

Hey Chris, that is a very nice line up of ales in your profile pic ;)

You’re recipe looks good but if I could make one suggestion it would be to switch the Dark Ale LME tin with a Coopers Pale Ale tin (Woo Toucan!). As per the SMOTY recipe found here. You can use the Fuggles instead of the EK Goldings.

Just steep the grain in a bowl of hop tap water for 30 minutes, strain into a pot. Bring it to the boil for 5 minutes, add your Fuggles and boil for another 5 minutes as you’ve described above. Add more hops at flameout or just let it cool, it’s up to you.

The extra Pale Ale tin will give it some great bitterness and help keep the beer in the dark ale category. Lots of other forum members have made the SMOTY Ale and it’s a cracker. Add both packets of yeast too.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Thanks Mark - that line up of ales was my pick for my brothers 50th birthday bash.... yum yum!

I've actually recently done the Smoty Ale and have quite a bit left to drink but looking for a more malty dark ale...... I've done 1 before just without the grains. Think I'll give this a go - it's based on other recipes I've seen on here

cheers

chris.

Threw in my English ale today, no idea where the recipe is apart from Beersmith... I'll find it later when I'm home again and post it.

I can't remember if I took a post boil SG on the brew day itself, my pre-boil SG was 1.038 and somehow I've only managed an OG of 1.042 unsure but I did end up with 26 litres in the FV, so either my hydrometer has gone further out or the increased volume has reduced the SG a bit. Will test the hydro again later.

Anyway, I'm sure it will still turn out nicely. Using the 1318 London Ale III yeast on this one, it was pitched at room temp (29C!) but is currently in the brew fridge coming down to my ferment temp of around 20.5C. Looking forward to tasting it! biggrin

Cheers

Kelsey

That should make a nice drop with the 1318 Kelsey. cool

Another brewing of my Mosaic Amber Ale is not too far off & I'll be pouring off some of the 1318 again to store & do a few other brews with over our Autumn period including a Fursty Ferret clone I haven't brewed for a while to see how it goes in that.

I've not long finished my own brew day & pitched the US-05 into a nice Citra/Cascade/Mt. Hood Pale Ale recipe that smelled pretty damn good when all mixed & in the FV. Pitched the yeast @ about 23°C & currently having it cooling down in the brew fridge to approx. 19.5°C. from that point I'll continue to stagger it down to 18°C over the next 24hrs.

Blueberry Porter is the plan for next week, then another Pale Ale & the Mosaic Amber Ale to follow that.

Good times ahead. happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

Nice, that pale ale sounds. happy I really need to try Citra one of these days... just trying to use up all the ones already in the freezer first!

Anyhow, the recipe for the abovementioned English ale is as follows:

Mashed at 66-67C for 90 minutes followed by 10 min mashout at 78C

4.500 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 92.4 %

0.200 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 2 4.1 %

0.150 kg Caraaroma (256.1 EBC) Grain 3 3.1 %

0.020 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 4 0.4 %

75 minute boil; no-chilled with no adjustments to this schedule

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 5 15.6 IBUs

20.00 g Fuggles [5.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 11.4 IBUs

20.00 g Fuggles [5.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 4.1 IBUs

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 4.9 IBUs

1318 London Ale III yeast

26 litres, OG 1.042

Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.3 %

Bitterness: 36.1 IBUs

Est Color: 22.3 EBC

Total Efficiency 71.8%.

Cheers

Kelsey

G'day guys,

Got an American Pale Ale...or a Session IPA...or an Extra Pale Ale...or whatever it's beer in my fermenter that goes a little something like this.

3kg Morgans extra pale

250g Crystal

100g Carapils

24g Magnum @ 60 min

30g Amarillo @ 5 min

30g Galaxy @ 5 min

30g Centennial @ 5 min

Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast

21l brew og 1.049, fg 1.013, 4.5% keg, 4.9 bottle

IBU 49.8, EBC 11.6

Will probably keg this one tonight if all goes well or in the morning hoping my gas bottle has got enough left to carb it up for the fights tomorrow. If not I'll have to pinch the sodastream bottle to get it done as I've just emptied my keg of Simcoe, Mosaic and Centennial IPA and noticed the gas was extremely low when shutting off the gas. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Will probably keg this one tonight if all goes well or in the morning hoping my gas bottle has got enough left to carb it up for the fights tomorrow. If not I'll have to pinch the sodastream bottle to get it done as I've just emptied my keg of Simcoe' date=' Mosaic and Centennial IPA and noticed the gas was extremely low when shutting off the gas. Fingers crossed.

Cheers [/quote']

I run two gas bottles, one in the conditioning fridge looking after three kegs and one in the Kegerator which pushes the beer out of two kegs. I never run out of gas or kegged beer as they are a fair way out of sink.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

My English ale is still in the FV at the moment, been in 7 days now at 20.5C for the first 5 days then up to 22C since. It's still sitting at 1.017 SG (1.042 OG), Beersmith predicts an FG of 1.011 for this batch. I used 1318 London Ale III yeast on it, and it was mashed at around 66C for 90 minutes - is it normal for this yeast to finish higher? I know it finishes slightly sweet, but six points? Or should I just leave it longer? I'll check the SG again on Friday and see if it's dropped any. Is it just that this yeast takes longer to reach FG? I'm not familiar with this yeast yet, hence the questions. tongue

If I was only kegging this batch I wouldn't care about it that much but there will be a portion of it bottled as I have 25 litres in the FV, so I'd rather avoid the old bottle bombs!

Cheers

Kelsey

I currently have 2 FV's on the go (pretty standard for me).

Yesterday before I put down a Blueberry Porter brew, I took a nice little Citra/Cascade Pale Ale out of the brew fridge & added the 30gms of Citra dry hop. Gravity sample was spot on expected FG of 1.013, & tasted nice. This one will now spend the next week under ambient conditions before I eventually cold crash it.

I bittered this one a little lower than I normally would, & the Mt. Hood & Citra due to their low co-humulone levels, help to make it very smooth to drink. I'm particularly interested in how the head retention ends up, as this is the lowest amount of specialty grains I've used in one of my own concoctions for a long time.

I'm looking forward to carbing this one up towards the end of next week.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Fruit salad ale, ready to be bottled tomorrow night.

I took an FG just then, looks around 1.011 which is bang on according to ianh.

Tested the sample and it's absolutely perfect, the dry hopping amarillo has almost mirrored the taste I was going for, which was a Cricketers Arms Scorcher Summer Ale. The smell and taste is almost like an orange juice at this stage.

Super chuffed and can't wait to get it in the bottles tomorrow night!!

Then Saturday i'm brewing my first stout devil

So my stout is in the fermeter, however, I made a noob mistake. I tipped the boiled steep grain straight into the fermenter without cooling (i've seen craigtube and KR do it, so I should've know better).

Even with my 10L of fridge temp water, the wort still came out at 34c sad

I have put the lid on, put some tape over the airlock hole and currently have it sitting in front of the aircon trying to cool it down. I know my sanitation is good, so i'm thinking leaving it a few hours before pitching shouldn't hurt.

I'm also going to rehydrate the 2x S-04 packs so i'm confident it will all be fine, just another nooby mistake.

It is day 7 for Otto's Red Ale. Using the Windsor wasn't the greatest idea I've had. I mashed at 66 degrees Celsius to compensate for this low attenuating yeast but it is still sitting at 1.016. The taste is good, rather malty (obviously), but I'm sitting at a measly 3.2% ABV I will raise the temperature of the FV to 25 degrees and hopefully that combined with the Dry Hop can steal me an extra couple of SG points. Should have went with Notto.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Scottie

That's exactly what happened with the last two batches I used 1318 yeast in. Both finished a few points higher than the expected FG, with the latter one that is still in the FV coming out at 3.2% ABV as well, although the flavour is nice. I think I'll change to 1335 or 1469 after I give it one more try.

Sodium percarbonate is in my FV at the moment.

Was meant to be putting my Cascadian pale ale in today and getting that one underway, but over the weekend the other fridge that normally has excess food etc. in it died after 55 years of service. So, that stuff is now temporarily living in my brew fridge meaning I obviously can't use it to ferment anything. The new fridge should be delivered tomorrow though so I would imagine that either then or Wednesday I'll be able to put this brew in. I'll be trying out the cold pitching yeast for the first time on a proper batch with this brew too.

4.000 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 84.2 %

0.500 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 10.5 %

0.250 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 3 5.3 %

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 4 13.3 IBUs

15.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 19.3 IBUs

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 2.3 IBUs

10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 7 1.4 IBUs

Harvested US-05 yeast fermented at 18C.

25 litres

Mashed 90 mins @ 64/65C, 78C mash-out, 75 minute boil. No-chilled.

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0074 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %

Bitterness: 36.4 IBUs

Est Color: 15.4 EBC

Cheers

Kelsey

4.000 kg Pale Malt' date=' Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 84.2 %

0.500 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 10.5 %

0.250 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 3 5.3 %

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %'] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 4 13.3 IBUs

15.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 19.3 IBUs

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 2.3 IBUs

10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min Hop 7 1.4 IBUs

Not ever tempted to try some different hops with your SNPA malt bill?

My cold pitch of the CCA yeast into the starter then into the main brew wort is bopping along nicely atm.

I just had a whiff inside the brew fridge, & it is expelling the nice light banana aroma customary for the strain when fermented a little warmer. Perfect for the DIY CPA mix it's in. happy

Blueberry Porter in the dry hopping phase in the other FV. Both looking good so far.

Lusty.

I actually use that malt bill, or similar, for pretty much every APA I brew. Lately I've been dropping the pale malt back to 4kg as my efficiency has improved, and also to lighten the body slightly to make them a bit more refreshing. The SNPA one is over 5kg pale malt and 450g crystal so slightly different. Anyway, I am mainly just using up hops at the moment to clear out the freezer of them before I order more. There are some other varieties I'd like to experiment with, but I can only fit so much in there at a time tongue. So sorta just doing alternate batches of APAs and ESBs as I have a fair whack of Fuggles and EKG to get rid of too. There is Saaz there too but the pilsners are on the backburner for now.

Good to hear about the yeast too. Definitely interested to see how it goes in a main batch. My starter was cold pitched too, and is currently in the brew fridge at ~0C, which is about the temp it'll be pitched at when I can get the fridge back for brewing in.

Cheers

Kelsey

Zombie Dust Clone Put Down Yesterday

Recipe Type: All Grain

Yeast: English Ale

Batch Size (Gallons): 6

Original Gravity: 1.060

Final Gravity:

IBU: 65

Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

Color: 8.5

Mash Temp: 67c @ 60 mins

Mash Out: 75c @ 10mins

Total Grain = 6.49kg

5.3 kg 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %

0.512 kg Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %

0.226 kg Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 % = 0.226kg

0.226 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %

0.226 kg Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %

Hop Schedule

21 gr Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU

35.4 gr Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU

35.4 gr Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU

Yeast Food + Whirlfloc

35.4 gr Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU

35.4 gr [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU

85 gr Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 5-7 days)

I Used Nottingham yeast as I didnt have S-04, I have read that it still works well with this clone.

I cant wait to try this, and smell the garage when I dry hop, I love Citra.

Archived