Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2016

Otto Von Blotto

Blundstone Pale Ale

1 can TCS Boot Makers Pale Ale

1 can TC Wheat Malt Extract

25g Galaxy hops

1pkt US05

Kept it nice and simple, 21 litre brew. Five litres and 1/3 can of wheat brought to the boil and the Galaxy added for 5 minutes. Cans added to FV, some cool water and 1/2 can of boiling water to rinse out both cans, strained boiled wort into FV, mixed and topped up with cold tap water.

The yeast was sprinkled on last night, wort was around 35 degrees came down to 18 degrees overnight in the brewing fridge. Started to see some activity this afternoon so decided I do have a brew in the Fermenter.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FV1 has an Unreal ale with additional hops

15g each of Chinook and Cascade steeped for 20 mins on re cultured coopers yeast (why didn't i try this sooner !)

will add a dry hop for more aroma if needed (suggestions welcome)

FV2 has the Golden ale i put down 2 weeks ago and stalled at 1.023 a re-cultured coopers yeast has brought that down to 1.010 .

added 25g of armadillo

10g each of chinook and cascade pellets in a chux steeped for 15 mins

haven't worked out how US-05 stalled on me , supposed to be a good reliable yeast ! so atm i'm just assuming it isn't quite foolproof .

still deciding what to make next , those batches should fill all the bottles and kegs i have empty for now so no huge rush to decide .

P.S without the help and support i got from here i'd have put the brewing gear on gumtree so thanks guys !

Just put down the new Thomas Coopers 86 Days Pilsner kit.

TC 86 Days Pilsner kit 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 1.25kg

Dextrose 150gms

Re-hydrated Fermentis W34/70 yeast + kit yeast

Brewed to 23 litres

OG = approx. 1.045

FG = approx. 1.010

EBC = 6.4

IBU = 36.2

Kegged ABV = approx. 4.6%

Bottled ABV = approx. 5.0%

Yeast pitched @ 18.5°C & will reduce down to 15°C overnight. Tomorrow the brew will then be dropped down to 12°C for the rest of the primary ferment. As I'll be kegging this beer, once FG is stable I'll do a diacetyl rest for 2-3 days prior to crash chilling the beer to be ready for kegging.

I could have simply used 1.5kgs of LDM but I need some for a yeast starter next weekend to increase yeast cells numbers for a brew I have planned using the new TC Porter kit.

That,..... & I'm a tight arse bastard! tonguelolwink

I'll update down the track.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Wow - were all busy little beavers!

Got lazy on Sunday so didn't get my brews on till Monday night, must stop leaving it till the end of the daywhistling

Anyways .....large FV has the Scotch Ale which is bubbling away:

Coopers Sparkling Ale Can (before they all run out)

1.5kg Amber malt extract

500gm Brown Sugar

Small FV has the Vlad the Impale Ale:

Craft Amber kit + Robust Malt Extract with Willamette and Hallertau hops.

Im having to significantly reduce drinking as I seriously need to lose some weight and despite all my denial there is a definite correlation between my beer consumption and ballooning waistline! - so only having some on weekends and might even do feb-Fast....so if I do I will stop brewing for a while to reduce temptation...very depressed at the concept sad

Have my first Russian Imperial Stout in FV#1, old school style with no late hops.

FV#2 empty but just about to make a Stone & Wood pacific ale clone. These two beers could not be further apart in style!

The RIS will be aged for winter, if I can keep my hands off it, it’s already tasting like a choc/coffee/raisin explosion of flavour! It’s down to 1.040 from 1.087 OG after 48hrs, has a massive choc coloured krausen.

The 8.7kg of grain was a challenge in my 38 litre BIAB RIMS setup, but still managed to do it, the 400g of rice hulls I used were a must though to get it to recirc.

Recipe below thanks to Terry Foster from his Brewing Porters and Stouts book .

"Nevsky Prospect

(all-grain)

Ingredients

8.5 lb. (3.86 kg) US 2-row pale malt (2°L 1.9 SRM); 44.7%

4.0 lb. (1.81 kg) Briess Munich malt (10°L 12.8 SRM); 21.1%

4.0 lb. (1.81 kg) Belgian Vienna malt (4°L 4.7 SRM); 21.1%

1.0 lb. (454 g) Briess Victory malt (28°L 37.2 SRM); 5.3%

0.5 lb. (227 g) Belgian Special B malt (140°L 188.9 SRM); 2.6%

0.5 lb. (227 g) Baird chocolate malt (450°L 608.8 SRM); 2.6%

0.5 lb. (227 g) Fawcett pale chocolate malt (200°L 270 SRM); 2.6%

2.5 oz. (71 g) Challenger pellets, 7.5% AA (19 AAU, 90 min.) Wyeast 1056 American Ale; White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale

Original gravity: 1.090 (21.5°P)

Final gravity: 1.025 (6.3°P)

ABV: 8.6%

IBU: 70

SRM: 99

Directions

Mash at 148 to 150°F (64.4 to 65.6°C) using 24 quarts (23L) of water; use a 2- to 3- quart (1.9 to 2.8L) yeast starter and mature four to six weeks.

Notes

A high gravity beer with lots of alcohol and a medley of malts to produce enough flavors to balance the alcohol, with perhaps a little emphasis on chocolate notes. Just to show that you really can get chocolate flavor without actually adding chocolate. The name had to be Russian, and for the record, the last time I walked down Nevsky

Prospekt, it was in Leningrad, not St. Petersburg"

Hi Payno.

...Im having to significantly reduce drinking as I seriously need to lose some weight and despite all my denial there is a definite correlation between my beer consumption and ballooning waistline! - so only having some on weekends and might even do feb-Fast....so if I do I will stop brewing for a while to reduce temptation...very depressed at the concept sad

I had the same issue almost 2 years ago' date=' & had to do something about it. In my opinion you need to look at your drinking & assess it as part of your overall daily food & drink intake. Once you do that, & understand the calories involved with how many beers you are consuming in conjunction with your current food intake, it really spells out the adjustments you need to make.

I went on Dr Michael Mosley’s 5:2 diet for 3 months & continued to drink beer through that period, although I admit to making some adjustments to how often & how much I drank. I'd never dieted in my life, & lost just under 10kgs. happy

I admit I don't do this all year round, but found it a very effective & easy way to lose excess weight without feeling like you're starving yourself on a daily basis as is attributed to most other weight loss diets.

Once the Summer is over, I'll be back on it again. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Payno.
...Im having to significantly reduce drinking as I seriously need to lose some weight and despite all my denial there is a definite correlation between my beer consumption and ballooning waistline! - so only having some on weekends and might even do feb-Fast....so if I do I will stop brewing for a while to reduce temptation...very depressed at the concept sad

I had the same issue almost 2 years ago' date=' & had to do something about it. In my opinion you need to look at your drinking & assess it as part of your overall daily food & drink intake. Once you do that, & understand the calories involved with how many beers you are consuming in conjunction with your current food intake, it really spells out the adjustments you need to make.

I went on Dr Michael Mosley’s 5:2 diet for 3 months & continued to drink beer through that period, although I admit to making some adjustments to how often & how much I drank. I'd never dieted in my life, & lost just under 10kgs. happy

I admit I don't do this all year round, but found it a very effective & easy way to lose excess weight without feeling like you're starving yourself on a daily basis as is attributed to most other weight loss diets.

Once the Summer is over, I'll be back on it again. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks Lusty - I have looked at this diet before (Ive tried most at one time or another!) and I have a CD with a 5:2 diet plan on it but I haven't tried it as the meal plan seemed to have be pretty restrictive even on the non-fasting days (ie steamed fish and broccoli for breakfast!) - do you just eat what you want on those days or stick to a calorie/carb controlled diet?

I have always had to deal with "the battle of the bulge" - for the last 10 years or so. Slowing metabolism, desk job and less sport all added up to weight gain. I usually only allow myself to drink on weekends and watch what I eat during the week as well as trying to get the gym 3-4 times a week - that will keep me about even. But discovering brewing combined with a couple of flues and injuries which reduced my exercise all led to increased weight.....then add in Christmas with all the eating and drinking and Whoa! - Im afraid to go to the beach in fear of being harpooned!! w00t I totally Love home brewing - but has led to me drinking more often to see how beers are progressingwink, and its hard not to consume when you have so much of it laying around the house!

Anyway - I use a calorie burning soup diet for quick results, but as you get sick of it really quickly I alternate with that and low carb. have done that on and off over time - with some results if you stick to it . This time though I am having a dose of reality and realising I cant do that 5 days a week and then drink 18 beers on the weekend plus pizza and expect to lose weight!

So Im going to try and reduce further and even maybe cut out the alcohol for a few weeks (never done that before - not sure if I can!) Either way I will have to reduce the brewing to reduce temptation. Such a shame as I have so many brews I want to try - but I guess they can wait.

Interesting Lusty, I've been running the 5:2 as well, will be three years in March that I have been doing this. Have only stopped for two weeks at Christmas time each of the three years. It's bloody great I reckon.

The only relatively manageable way I can keep from blowing out in weight while working an office job and having three young kids. Also allows me to enjoy beers which is awesome, I do tend to only have one a day midweek and two to three a day on the weekend, usually none on the fasting days. Makes me look forward all the more to having one the day after the fasting day. So 7 to 9 330mls a week.

Means I'm giving away a lot of bottles to family and friends, that's why kegging doesn't suit me at all really.

Just threw in my Chinook pale ale and pitched the US-05 into it. It's obviously in the fridge being brought down to 18C which it should achieve by tonight. This is the first time I've used Chinook as a stand alone late hop, so it will be interesting to see what it brings to the brew when it's ready to drink in 3-4 weeks time. cool

I only got 23.5L into the FV on this batch, but OG was 1050 giving me overall efficiency of 71%. I seem to have largely sorted these volume issues now though, so hopefully this one is a one off in terms of a lesser volume.

Cheers

Kelsey

Just put on two mini batches (2.5L each) of hard cider, my first. One is Graff style, so with a wee bit of DME, C120L, and Honey malt, and the other is New England style with brown sugar and raisins. The liquid in both is the same: 75% apple cider and 25% pear juice. I guess the proper name for this is "pider." Anyway, decided to go with Lalvin 71B-1122 white wine yeast in both, instead of ale yeast. I am very curios how they will turn out. Started bubbling already within 3 hours, wow.

I am also brewing the new Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale kit + 1.5kgs of LDM. No additional hops or grains as I want to assess the kit in its stand alone form to get a feel for it. First use of LDM (as instructed) as opposed to a Brew Enhancer sugar blend.

It has had five days in the fermenter the current SG is 1011, it is getting close.

I am also brewing the new Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale kit + 1.5kgs of LDM. No additional hops or grains as I want to assess the kit in its stand alone form to get a feel for it. First use of LDM (as instructed) as opposed to a Brew Enhancer sugar blend.

It has had five days in the fermenter the current SG is 1011' date=' it is getting close. [/quote']

carts, I'm on the same track as you, brewing the new Family Secret with 1kg of LDM with no additions. Also my first time using LDM (as per the recipe) as opposed to BE.

Thanks Lusty - I have looked at this diet before (Ive tried most at one time or another!) and I have a CD with a 5:2 diet plan on it but I haven't tried it as the meal plan seemed to have be pretty restrictive even on the non-fasting days (ie steamed fish and broccoli for breakfast!) - do you just eat what you want on those days or stick to a calorie/carb controlled diet?

What I appreciated with this diet is that it only pressures you for 2 days a week. On those two days I follow the allowable 600 calorie intake to the letter & I don't cheat it. In the beginning on the other days' date=' I did what I wanted.

Every day, in the morning before breakfast, I would weigh myself & add that number to a daily weight chart I was compiling. Weighing yourself becomes a BIG motivator once you see the weight coming down. Once you see the weight coming down, you start to say to yourself, what can I do within reason on the off-fasting days to perhaps bring the weight down more quickly? For me, I simply started to take time to construct meals over the course of a day using foods I enjoy that did not exceed the recommended average daily calorie intake for men, being 2500 calories. I would work the calories in beer into those calculations if I felt like a few ales on any given day.

A great site to help you compile recipes & understand your calorie intake is www.calorieking.com.au/. It has calorie listings for just about every food & drink you can think of, & includes calorie counts for a lot of alcoholic beverages (including beer).

Will power is the key & a want to do what's best for yourself. Right now I have a want for a nice cold pale ale from the keg, but my will power is telling me I have to go & edge those lawns before I can have one! lol

Best I get to those lawns, because I'm feeling rather thirsty. biggrin

Apologies for the O.T. stuff. innocent

Cheers,

Lusty.

Im currently brewing the TC AIPA can with 1.5kg DME.

This is to see how good the can is, Im really tempted to dry hop but

first go Ill let it be.

The temp is 18c, the photo was before I got the temp down for pitching.

1453175649_56_353.jpg

1453175640_56_478.jpg

Thats my new SSbrewtech bucket, first brew too.

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/fermenters/products/the-brewmaster-bucket

Heres a link to the temp control add on-

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/ftss/products/ftss-temp-control-for-7-gallon-bucket-chronical

I normally brew with my coopers fermenter, inside of an old bar fridge with a cheap controller that turns the fridge on and off. I have lent the fridge to another brewer to try temp control.

This has a pump inside the cooler attached to the controller on top. It also has a thermowell inside of the FV to provide accurate temp readings. I have 2-3L of water in the cooler, and I have frozen 2x4L Frantelle bottles, 1 in at a time for a day then swap so the other can re freezse while one keeps the water cool.

Its been good so far since Sunday when it was used on the first brew. Dropped from 32 to 18 in about 25minutes. IN winter I plan to use a fish tank heater to get the water temp the same. I have read the cold crashing also works but not sure how often ill need to change in this heat, but I mite stick it in a spare fridge for this or transfer to secondary and cold crash ( im probably to lazy for this).

Illl let you know how it goes, but its a nice small quite setup.

Nice rig Shibby!

Currently fermenting:

FV 1: Ye Olde IPA. This is a pale ale fresh wort kit my LHBS gave me for free (YAY). I boiled up some late EKG & Challenger hops (60g of each) and added some DME and dextrose to push it towards an IPA. Pitched White Labs WLP013 London Ale Yeast and it went from 1050 to 1015 in about a week.

After the primary ferment I pitched one vial of WLP645 Brett Claussenii (British Brewing Fungus). Brew stalled at 1015 even with warming up to 30 degrees. I blame the low cell count of the yeast (my fault that I didn't make a starter - haven't mastered that technique yet). Waiting on two more vials of WLP645 to see if I can get some more funk going. If I am successful I will 're-liven' the brew with 60g of Galaxy flowers before bottling.

FV 2: Centennial Blonde. My first BIAB, ticking away nicely thanks to Notto yeast.

FV 3: Hop Bomb DIPA. One of Coopers Craft ROTM from last year, 9 litre batch. Ferment is done, dry hopped last night.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Archived