Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2016

Otto Von Blotto

Hi everyone,

As I stated in the old? brew day thread, I decided to start a thread about what we're all fermenting currently at any given time. This is partly borne out of Lusty's observations regarding chillers/no-chillers in the AG ranks.

To kick it off for the year, I currently have a batch of my red ale in the FV which I would think is just about ready for cold crashing now. Normally this recipe is fermented with US-05, but this time I decided to take on a suggestion from Lusty of using an English ale strain to ferment it with. FG sample tastings are actually quite promising and less sweet than I initially thought. Looking forward to getting this on tap - especially now that I've fixed my gas leak!

Cheers

Kelsey

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two on the go atm. biggrin

Brew one is an all extract pale ale of my own concoction. Chinook, Cascade & Simcoe in the boil. Dry hopped with Centennial & Motueka. Tomorrow I will slip it back in the brew fridge to chill it down ready for kegging on Wednesday.

Brew two is the new Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale kit + 1.5kgs of LDM. No additional hops or grains as I want to assess the kit in its stand alone form to get a feel for it. This is currently at the end of the first week in primary. It will follow the same route as brew one & clear at ambient temps (inside the house) for another week before being chilled down for kegging.

A busy few weeks ahead with the new TC 86 Days Pilsner set down for next Wednesday, then followed by a modified Porter brew using the new TC Porter kit that I have been putting a lot of thought time into of late.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

In the FV at the moment is a brew, based on a kit of Coopers Australian Pale Ale, that sits right in the centre of the target square of an American Pale Ale, according to Ian H's spreadsheet. This brew has many firsts for me. It is the 1st time I've steeped grain, the 1st time I've used dry wheat malt, the first time I've used more that a kilo of regular light dry malt, the first time I've boiled hops (as opposed to just steeping them), the 1st time I've brewed down at 18C (my last brew was a Fruit Salad Ale at 20C), the 1st time I've rehydrated my yeast and the first time I've used yeast other than what came with the kit (US-05).

I've called it "Kit and Kaboodle" because it goes further than the Kit and Kilo stuff that I've done in the past. It smelled great in the FV but it did give me a small scare, waiting 36 hours before the US-05 started showing signs of life, but now it's brewing like a true champion. It is still way too active to do an SG (and have a bit of a taste.)

I'm in a bit of a home brew drought at the moment, with none of my own to drink and my Fruit Salad Ale in the bottle but still a couple of weeks shy of being ready. Looks like its Coopers commercial Pale Ale in the meantime.

Cheers

Two on the go atm. biggrin

Brew one is an all extract pale ale of my own concoction. Chinook' date=' Cascade & Simcoe in the boil. Dry hopped with Centennial & Motueka. Tomorrow I will slip it back in the brew fridge to chill it down ready for kegging on Wednesday.

Brew two is the new Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale kit + 1.5kgs of LDM. No additional hops or grains as I want to assess the kit in its stand alone form to get a feel for it. This is currently at the end of the first week in primary. It will follow the same route as brew one & clear at ambient temps (inside the house) for another week before being chilled down for kegging.

A busy few weeks ahead with the new TC 86 Days Pilsner set down for next Wednesday, then followed by a modified Porter brew using the new TC Porter kit that I have been putting a lot of thought time into of late.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.[/quote']

Ha Lusty

I have just decided to go down this path myself. Busy time of the year and I'm oncall so I can't risk an interrupted AG brew day. Was tossing up between Fresh Wort or the new TS kit selection. I'm going for the Bootmaker Pale Ale with some late Galaxy and Cascade - just have to wait for the LHBS to come back from New Year's break.

Be interested in copying your Porter effort as well. Oh My I'm heading back to K&K territory alien

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

On topic

I have got a Golden Ale in the Fermenter at the minute, hopped with Fuggles and sitting a 4 degrees this past week.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

PS will be looking for quick turn around with this one, kegging tomorrow and will be entering a post in RDWHAHB before the end of the month, stocks are low after my latest American blew out on Boxing Day and my next one is only 2.7 weeks in the keg.

Pale ale tin with B.E.2 and coopers commercial yeast brewed at 20 degrees. Then it will be a pale ale kit with 1kg LDM and 150 grams dextrose dumped onto the yeast cake of the previous brew and brewed at 20 degrees with a dry hop of 20grams cascade at day 4.

Hey Otto' date='

Your thread might have to live through a calendar year before you start dating it. [img']innocent[/img]

I reckon it will Chad tongue

Dropped the temp on the brew fridge on my red ale earlier down to 0C so that should get down in a day or so for a week of cold crashing before it is kegged and bottled.

#1 tin of mangrove jacks belgian ale, 1.7 kg LME, 250 g dark crystal, 25 g saaz , safbrew T58.

#2 tin of coopers lager, 1kg BE2 , 25 g saaz infusion, kit yeast.

#3 tin of coopers draught , 1kg LDM , 250 g dex, 30 g amarillo infusion, kit yeast.

Now I have Coopers Ruby Porter in #2' date=' but still nothing but air in #1[/quote']

Hey KR

Looking forward to you sharing the results and the mix, I know you know a good Porter when you taste one and I wouldn't mind a half decent one on tap come Autumn.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Boring standard brew for me, but gotta start somewhere :)

Picked up a Coopers 23L Kit yesterday and have my maiden brew fermenting in the spare loo, just the Cooper's Kit Larger and yeast with the supplied 1kg of BE1. Temp was 23C when i added the yeast and hasn't budged much in 24 hours, nice cool day here in Armidale :) OG was 1035, looking forward to checking gravity in around 7 days and hopefully bottling next weekend.

If I manage to not stuff this one up I would love to grab the Coopers IPA for my next try, maybe with BE2 and some hops if I can source them here, better learn to walk first though :)

I love IPA's, but I mostly drink Oettinger Pils Cans due to budget constraints, looking forward to getting IPA flavour on Ottie budget one day in the near future though.

Have a great New Year all!!!

Hey JD

Welcome to the forum and the wide & wonderful world of brewing. Given your standard drink you shouldn't be let down by the Coopers OS Lager tin, I thought it was Ace when I brewed it.

If you're keen on the IPA can and want to keep it simple just go for it with BE2 or 1kg of Light Dry Malt, it's new can to what most of us here have brewed so I can't really comment on whether it needs hops.

I am sure though, given the success of the old TC IPA can, that this new TCS IPA will be a good one.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I put down a Canadian Blonde on 31/12, with a some additions getting it in the territory of the Helga's Cool Kolsch.

1 can Canadian Blonde

1 Pack Ultra Mix (500g LDM, 250g Dex, 250g Maltodex)

500g LDM.

Boiled 500g LDM in approx 5 litres water, 10 min boil of approx 25g Hallertau

pitched US 05 yeast - re-hydrated.

Pitched at 24c, but had FV temp down to 20c within a couple of hours, & has been around there since.

The krausen is still present, which is unusual, but it looks fine.

Emptied fermenter #1 on Sunday, bottling my Belgian Blond (have I mentioned how much I love 3522 yet? love).

Fermenters #2 & #3 are currently bubbling away on a couple of stouts that are part of an ongoing two-pronged exbeeriment -- TC Irish Stout kit tin split into 2 brews, cubed in July last year & stored until the weekend just gone; fermented in a couple of DIY fermenters I made out of 15L Frantelle water cubes (HDPE) with some snap-taps purchased from ebay:

secuez9.jpg

My first All-Grain BIAB!

A Pilsner of course. Urquell Clone attempt.

Slowly dropping temp to 0°

No idea what happened with my measurements though, ended up having to boil for 2 and 1/4 hrs to get it down to what I thought was 28L. Then ended up 6L short of the 25L I was expecting in the FV and had to add 5L of cold tap water at the end. Doh!

Anyway will sort it next time... my gravity tests throughout fermentation have been tasting pretty nice.

So cool using my Xmas prezzie Crown Urn by the way. It's so sexy.

cheers and happy new year all!

Jay

Archived