Coopers Community

New to the Guild? ** PLEASE READ THIS POST FIRST **

PB2

G'day Bonzo

I expect your first brew is the OS Lager and BE1 included in the DIY kit. Don't get me wrong' date=' 'cos it will turn out to be very drinkable (but ignore the temperature instructions and if possible try to ferment it somewhere around the 18-21C mark if you can).

[/quote']

Correct! I did some reading before getting stuck in but figured I'd stick with the contents of the kit and focus on getting the brewing conditions right before messing with other variables. I've managed to get my temperature down from 22C when I pitched to about 18C now (temp strip reading between 18-16C).

P2's gunna love you...Cheers.

This person is quite happy to spread around my microbiological medical history

That certainly is a bit of a rough history but I must say, as difficult as it may be to believe, probably more pleasant than some of the heinous wounds I've come across.

Cheers for the warm welcome,

DB

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You, my dear sir, are going to do bloody well here. You're prepared to read/research, and I'm guessing that being a scientist you'll take good notes of your brews.

BTW, I lied when I said that was my medical history. It is actually my current clinical position. happy

Don't be a stranger (and put as much sh!# as possible on Magnaman!)

Cheers

Hi all new here, I live in Auckland NZ and completely new to home brewing. Have started with the coopers kit and am a few days away from bottling the kit lager (may have kept it a bit too warm as its been mainly sitting around 23) and now looking to get my next one underway.

Been reading a lot of the posts on here last few days and already learnt a lot so thanks.

Hi all new here' date=' I live in Auckland NZ and completely new to home brewing. Have started with the coopers kit and am a few days away from bottling the kit lager (may have kept it a bit too warm as its been mainly sitting around 23) and now looking to get my next one underway.

Been reading a lot of the posts on here last few days and already learnt a lot so thanks.[/quote']

G'day Drel, welcome to the forum, have fun, brew beer.wink

Hi all new here' date=' I live in Auckland NZ and completely new to home brewing. Have started with the coopers kit and am a few days away from bottling the kit lager (may have kept it a bit too warm as its been mainly sitting around 23) and now looking to get my next one underway.

Been reading a lot of the posts on here last few days and already learnt a lot so thanks.[/quote']

G'day Drel, welcome to the forum, have fun, brew beer.wink

Thanks, definitely going to have fun.

Hi..I'm a newbie from the UK. Did a couple of brews last year with Coopers Stout and the Dark Ale kits. Then my local brewing store recommended using Coopers Pale ale kit with added Cascade Hops and Cara malt, which has worked quite well.

Recently done a few Summer Golden ale brews with Festival kits (English Ales) which include hops pellets and Elderflower.

Undecided if I'm going to progress to making my own craft ales... seems a lot of trouble , especially if I continue to enjoy the kit brews.

The label maker on this site is great. Adds a real bit of class.

1452436094_89_789.20151220_232743%5B1%5D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

My name's Luke - I picked up my Coopers DIY kit just after Christmas and since have grabbed two Coopers Craft Brew kits on sale at Aldi ($39 at Eltham Aldi at the moment).

I've bottled two brews so far - the Coopers lager that came with the first kit which has worked well, but a little bland (I now know that it fermemted too warm at around 25-26°C and I bottled it too early, and am working on cooling the current brews down and waiting longer before bottling current brews), and a Brigalow cider for my wife which we haven't tried yet.

I currently have two brews on the go - the Bewitched Amber Ale with 250g brown sugar in one of the craft FV's and a Coopers lager made to 9.5lt in the second craft FV with some BE2 and organic honey. Both of these are fermenting at around 21°C at the moment, which will hopefully be better.

I know very little about this game, but have been reading and learning lots from this forum over the last few weeks. Thanks for the great resource!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

Have put on the odd can kit now and again over the last few years. This year i decided to pick up the hobby again in 5l and 10l demijohn glass jars as our small flat does not alow for the big 23 barrel to just sit around and bench space also only makes it viable to clean a slab of bottles at a time etc. It feels so much better doing it this way though, i can try 2 different recipes with the one can kit and dont usually get left with 23 of i believe the term is "fail ale" ha ha.

I have been reading alot on the the forum over the last few weeks, you all seem like a helpful friendly bunch. I currently just bottled my first coopers mild ale and a stout that i tried adding some saaz hops to and just enough LDM for it to hopefully have brewed out mid strength. Did a green tea honey lager last winter to but as it was only 5l i think i drank it to quick and dont know what it really would of matured into, anyone else used tea instead of hops?

Look forward to chatting with you all and getting better at the whole thing!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I'm Ben!

Been reading a lot on the forums over the last 6 weeks and have gained so much great knowledge from all of the Brewers here!

I picked up a aDiy kit and decided on a recipe for my first brew about three weeks ago (skipped the lager that came with it).

Decided to brew the Pacific Summer Ale so I went out and bought all ingredients and put it all down about three weeks ago, bottled it last Wednesday. (Did I mention the kit was bought from Gumtree, never used and in brand new condition, except for the can and other bits being out of date? BARGAIN!)

Thanks to all the great tips on the forums, everything has gone smoothly so far. Looking forward drinking my first brew in about another ten days.

Even managed to keep the FV in the 18-20 degrees range for the primary fermentation period by using a wet towel and an ice block to keep it cool on the hot days!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking these forums for the last few months but this is my first post. I have had a few (not very serious) cracks at homebrew when I was younger, and about 6 months ago I decided I wanted to give it a proper go (It just makes sense as I am pretty into DIY projects/cooking etc). Since then I have been browsing the forums (and picked up alot of info) and have been slowly acquiring all the gear and collecting coopers tallies for bottling. I also built a temp controlled (STC-1000) freezer for fermenting as well as a temp controlled fridge for conditioning (I am in Brisbane so my garage gets pretty warm). I might even end up with a third fridge in the garage for kegs (and to keep some beers in the garage at drinking temp).

I decided to start with just the craft kit as having one carton of many different types of beers is more appealing to me than always brewing 20L batches which would take me a while to drink (plus all the bottling). I plan to at some point get a full size fermenter and two 9.5L kegs (for portability) so that I can make bigger batches (mainly so I can brew different recipes without trying to scale them down to half batches).

I was supposed to put my first batch on last weekend but I found out the hard way that not many places around me sell the craft beer cans - so I ordered four cans from the coopers store (for free shipping) which arrived today so I plan to put my first batch on this Tuesday when I get back from Easter. I am skipping kit and kilo altogether and plan to use the four cans to make the following recipes from the coopers site(in order):

-Voodoo that you do

-Spiced winter ale

-Pumpkin Rising

-Colombus brown ale

Hopefully these all go down well!

Anyway that's all I can think of as an introduction post - I am definitely susceptible to obsession so I can definitely see myself going down the slippery slope to all-grain (hopefully not for a while) so you can expect to see more of me around the forums. Also, my favorite beer at the moment is White Rabbit dark ale so am definitely going to try and make something similar soon.

Cheers everyone!

Welcome aboard Venerator! smile

Good move already getting yourself a dedicated temp controlled brew fridge. cool

They look like a good bunch of quality beers you have lined up already.

Good luck with your future brewing.

Lusty.

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all! Another kegging newbie checking in. Been lurking for a while and decided to join the party.

Been bottling what you call Can & Kilo for about 10 years, settled on Australian Pale Ale quite some time ago, it's bulletproof.

Acquired one Corny and two Schweppes 23L kegs. Kegerator is a 330L fridge that takes 2 kegs with the gas bottle external, temp. control is an STC 1000. At this stage the Fermenterator is a dead upright freezer, heat pad/ ice bottles.

So far so good.

Rather than leap over to the "dark side" straight away, have decided to brew a

Coopers APA,

1Kg of Coopers LME,

US-05 and a

"teabag" of Cascade (until I work out the flavours I prefer.)

How does that sound for starters, or is that heresy??? biggrin

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

G'day mates! biggrin

Greetings from Sweden!

Have my first brew in the making - so far everything goes well.

(Temperature is a bit high - but within the range)

Can't wait to enjoy the end result (ca 2 weeks from now...)

Thanks for having me! biggrin

G'day mates! biggrin

Greetings from Sweden!

Have my first brew in the making - so far everything goes well.

(Temperature is a bit high - but within the range)

Can't wait to enjoy the end result (ca 2 weeks from now...)

Thanks for having me! biggrin

G'day Yoshiki' date=' welcome to the forum and happy brewing, ask questions, use the search and enjoy brewing wonderful beer. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers.

Hi,

Just signed up - from New Zealand.

I've just recently returned to the art, craft and science of home brewing after a 30 year break!

I recall I used to make really awful beer way back in the 80's but things have certainly changed a lot since then. Already my recent extract-based brews are proving to be so much better than I ever remember them tasting back then!

Cheers!

cool

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I just joined this forum as I have found a source of Cooper's beers. I am in South Africa.

I brew for my own consumption, mostly because I prefer the taste to the mass produced rubbish, the high cost of quality imported beers, and to avoid paying any more taxes to the exorbitant amounts I pay already!

Hi all, I've just my brew kit and quite a few people are saying the lager and brew enhancer 1 is a bit bland ? What else could I add to make a more flavour brew ? Thanks any advice QK

Ok. So its not my first post. But seeing as i am still new. I thought i would introduce my self.

Another South African on this site...

Ive got my 3rd brew in the FV and loving every minute of this new hobby.

And it tastes great too.

Hi all' date=' I've just my brew kit and quite a few people are saying the lager and brew enhancer 1 is a bit bland ? What else could I add to make a more flavour brew ? Thanks any advice QK [/quote']

G'day QK, welcome to the forum, easy add more malt, either dry or liquid, use the search and ask questions in the forums, plenty of helpful people. wink

Happy brewing.

Ok. So its not my first post. But seeing as i am still new. I thought i would introduce my self.

Another South African on this site...

Ive got my 3rd brew in the FV and loving every minute of this new hobby.

And it tastes great too.

G'day JP' date=' welcome to this great addiction, I hope your a Rugby fan( the game they play in heaven type) not that tunnel ball BS, read a lot, ask questions and use the search and very good beer is close at hand, oh and yes it can be addictive indeed. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers.

Archived