Coopers Community

How many brews have you done this year

Waylon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd agree with the caffeine man. Trying to get a brew done in one week, while it may be possible, generally won't result in a very good beer.

Simply put, if you want a decent drop, you need patience, decent ingredients and an appropriate fermentation temp. Good cleaning and sanitising practices go without saying really.

e.g. for an ale; a kit plus a kilo of light dry malt, maybe a dry hop, ferment at 18-20C for two weeks. It should have reached FG by then and can be bottled.

I'm also new to brewing but the things that have helped me get better and make it more enjoyable so far are:

Getting some star san

Getting a bottle tree

Getting a vinator (I think that's how it's spelt)

Getting my temperatures sorted

Watching fast home brew on youtube

Waiting for it to condition before I drink it.

Its vary easy to have one brew a week...

Most of my brews sit in the fermenter for 20 days before there bottled too!

So I don't rate my brews as quick n cheap...each brew I make is exciting and fun!

Personally most of my brews are partial mash brews...and im just getting into allgrain.

So each brew takes me about 3 hours to make (steep -boil-chill)...With the odd brew being a kit n kilo with good results too! example coopers English bitter with 1kg ldm @23 litres that's not bad for a quick brew,

I have 4 fermenters...2x 30 litres, 1x60 & 1x15 litre fermenter.

The best way to get good experience is making beer...

Trying new things... hops, malts, yeasts

Most importantly Having fun!

IF WE ENJOY MAKING AND DRINKING ITS VARY REWARDING

So far I havnt made a brew for 2015...this is the year of my allgrain batches.

2015 taught me a lot!

Spot on guys, multiple fermenterers are the go.

Ideally two temp controlled fridges, a 'fermenting' fridge and one for 'lagering'.

I made 21 batches this year, about half turned out nice and a couple were really good.

2016 will be less batches with better quality and when I run out of current stocks I'll probably just do the ROTM's, as last year I wandered a bit too far with ingredients and recipes. Learnt heaps though and had fun.

Cheers

2015 Marks my entry into this crazy hobby - from beginning of October I have done 8 brews (not counting the first which I tipped) and 1 more which is still in the FV ready for bottling but was technically brewed in Dec - so 9 all up.

I have 2 FV's - one large and one small which both fit neatly into my brew fridge. I have to cut back on the consumption now through due to the expanded waistline! ( many other factors at play there !) so might build up a bit of stock and then stop for a while.

Drizildur - everything the others have said +1.

As a relative newbie I can profess to a few things:

1) Try and be patient (with your brews and development as a brewer) - I was impatient when I started and bugged the guys on here about many issues but most things work out by themselves and the answer is generally "patience and experience".

2) Start simple and build on your knowledge. You are unlikely to make the "perfect beer" straight away but you will make some very good brews while you learn. Look at the recipes on the Coopers site - they range in complexity but instructions are easy to follow

3) Most problems/questions have been asked on here so use the search box at the top and you'll find the answer to most questions. - Also read John Palmers "how to brew" easy find if you google it.

4) There are many experienced brewers on here who have helped me a lot - they are really a great bunch of people and can only imagine how many newbies they have helped along the way. I am sure they will help you too - but read some of the threads/basics/intro's and you will find a lot of info to get you started

I am sure you will love brewing - it is a very addictive hobby!

Cheers

payno

I'm planning to brew as often as I need to to keep the beer stocks up, which at this point is regularly enough to keep at least one cube of wort sitting ready to ferment. I'll be kegging/bottling a batch about once every 2-3 weeks from now just to build a stockpile of kegs. It might take a while but I'll get there eventually.

Well since I'm going back to work on Monday and have (unfortunately) become single again, I daresay the rate of consumption will drop a fair bit compared to what it is at the moment while I'm still on holidays and dealing with the situation (and the frustration of no cricket because of bloody rain!)lol

Archived