Coopers Community

How many brews have you done this year

Waylon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's bottling day today, & unless I've miscounted, this will be my 12th completed batch this year.

So far I think that's the most I've done in a year, seeing as I have to drink enough to keep enough empty bottles to refill.

I have no intention of sharing more beer or drinking more frequently or greater volumes to achieve greater productivity.

I'll more than likely start another brew this week, but it won't get bottled this year, so that doesn't count in my book.

More bottles unfortunately is not the answer.

I've got as many bottles as I can manage now without SWMBO complaining they're taking up too much space!

I've already cleared out some extra space in a cupboard, so now have 2 cupboard spaces for beer, & the only other space I can get away with using is under the dining table against the wall, so I can keep 90 bottles of beer, & a few empties, but not much space for more.

That said, the "spare room" needs an overhaul, as it does have a fair bit of stuff we could get rid of.

It could be a project for the new year; de-cluttering, & making space for more beer & stuff, but not on the immediate agenda.

13 and I work away from home half the year so not a bad effort.

I would have done around 5 in the little craft kit at work to so 18 all up.

Nowhere near 60! That's a pretty full on effort Waylon at more then one a week.

I've brewed and bottled 16 batches this year, bringing me to a total of 29. I will probably be slightly down on this next year, more like one a month. I don't try to squeeze too much out of each batch, so they tend to yield about a case of beer + an extra 750ml PET for carb testing. Still I guess that's a fair bit of tasty drinking this year! biggrin Well, and sharing ... innocent

HERES MY LIST OF BREWS FOR THE YEAR WITH FOUR FERMENTERS PLAYING TAG TEAM

LAST BATCH IS CHILLING IN THE FRIDGE ATM READY TO KEG NOW

THERES ALOT OF LITRES WORTH

04/01 STOUT -23L

08/01 HEFFERWEIZEN-23L

09/01 APA -23L

18/01 APA 23L

25/1 APA- 23L

25/1 NB DROUGHT-23L

28/01 STOUT-23L

07/02 ALE 23L

07/02 ALE-23L

13/02 PORTER-46L

23/02 ALE-23L

15/3 ALE-46L

21/03 ALE-23L

15/04 ALE-23L

15/4 ALE-23L

24/4 IPA-23L

25/4 IPA-46L

9/5 RED ALE-23L

30/5 ALE-23L

10/6 APA-46L

08/06 LAGER-23L

19/6 LAGER-23L

20/06 STOUT 23L

11/6 PORTER 46L

27/6 APA 48L

29/6 PORTER 23L

04/07 LAGER 46L

10/7 LAGER 23L

22/7 PORTER 23L

22/7 APA 23L

28/7 STOUT 26L

29/7 LAGER 23L

31/7 PILSNER 23L

6/8 ESB 23L

15/8 LAGER 25L

18/8 STOUT 23L

24/8 PILSNER 23L

19/8 LAGER 50L

5/9 DARK LAGER 11L

7/9 STOUT 25L

8/9 ESB 23L

24/9 ESB 23L

24/9 AMBER 10L

6/10 ESB 23L

15/10 APA 10L

21/10 APA 23L

21/10 ALE 23L

31/10 ESB 11L

6/11 APA 22L

13/11 ESB 23L

28/11 BROWN ALE 46L

9/12 APA 47L

10/12 APA 30L

11/12 APA 22L

54 IN TOTAL I TOLD A LIE

but not much space for more.

That said' date=' the "spare room" needs an overhaul, as it does have a fair bit of stuff we could get rid of.

It could be a project for the new year; de-cluttering, & making space for more beer & stuff, but not on the immediate agenda.[/quote']

Aah yes, the perennial "space issue". I have about 1.5 cu m of fishing tackle, when it is all packed away properly, so you can imagine SWMBO's dismay when I took up home-brewing. So far I have amassed 93 bottles, along with another 20 litres of recycled soft-drink bottles that I use for ginger beer, 2 x FV, plastic buckets, brew fridge, bottle tree, pump-action bottle steriliser, a box full of kits and fermentables, hops taking up room in another fridge, hydrometers, thermometers, funnels, spoons, bottles of starsan, tubs of sodium percarbonate etc, etc.

This stuff takes up almost twice the space my fishing gear does. That said, SWMBO is a scotch drinker and she's keen on the idea of me getting a device that will enable me to brew scotch for her (I think the illegal version of these is called a "still"), so she's not making too much of a fuss about all my stuff, so far.

But I digress. I've only been into home brewing since July and I've done 13 brews (including one ginger beer) since then. Well, the 13th is in the FV and is ready for cold crashing (I think) so will most likely be bottled sometime between Xmas and New Year.

Cheers

16th due to bottle this weekend, all 21-23 litres

I still hardly have any sort of stockpile but the quack has asked me to stop drinking for six weeks before a blood test due in March, that's gunna be a challenge but also a chance to age some beer and build some stock.

Won't take long to list them. I'll even grade them.

Excellent

English County Smash Ale 04/07/2015

English County FWH 12/07/2015

Victory IPA 07/06/2015

Valley Pale Ale 19/10/2015

Otto's Squaw Red Ale 23/03/2015

Good

Pacific Crossing Pale Ale 14/02/2015

First Harvest Cascade Pale Ale 12/03/2015

Victory IPA VII 09/08/2015

Lusty's Mosaic Amber Ale 01/01/2015 (Started fermenting)

Amber 10 08/02/2015

Black Knight 31/03/2015

Southern Lights English Bitter 18/10/2015

Kegged but not sampled

Cascade Gold Pale Ale

1.3 Weeks in the FV

Fuggles Golden Ale

That's 14 brews, the Black Knight was an extra, it's a bottled Stout and I still have plenty left.

The Victory IPA was extremely popular and the keg blew after 18 days, after that I tried to keep people away from the other gooduns.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Waylon, I admire the balance you have achieved.

That's about 3.5 litres per day (or 7 500ml cans) which is a nice comfortable rate to be drinking at.

However, perhaps you should consider another fermentor so that you can lay down a bit of extra stock for special occasions ?

57 batches of beer.

Some are well over 6%. Well' date=' most are. All are all grain. A few ginger beers, some cider and much of the untalkable.[/quote']

The untalkables are still valid, you can't learn without making a few mistakes along the way.

There are two kinds of people, those who make mistakes & admit it, & those that lie about it!

Even most ordinary brews are drinkable, if disappointing.

The untalkables are still valid' date=' [/quote']

Mine are of the not legal variety.... not rubbish, infected etc..

So far as I'm concerned, if you make it yourself, aren't doing any harm to others, & enjoy it, I can't see the harm.

Just because laws exist, doesn't mean they all make sense or are reasonable.

For example, if medicinal cannabis had been legal, my recently passed 15 y/o daughter's illness & subsequent passing would not have been as painful, uncomfortable, or unpleasant.

Ironic that medicos would have been completely at ease dosing her up with large quantities of opiates that in other circumstances would have been highly illegal, but would balk at treatment with extracts of a natural plant that's been with us since before history!

Happy brewing Ben10 whatever it is you choose to brew!

Archived