Coopers Community

1st Home Brew

BeanBag1525229634

Hi Guys

As I'm about to do my 1st home brew i thought I'd go with the lawnmower mid (as i have what it says i need)

Just a quick question tho in STEP 2: Brew

Generally, a 1.7kg Beer Kit mixed with 250g-500g of other fermentable sugar to a volume of 23 litres will produce a mid-strength beer. is the "sugar" the Brew Enhancer 1 or added sugar?

Thanks

Hi Guys

As I'm about to do my 1st home brew i thought I'd go with the lawnmower mid (as i have what it says i need)

Just a quick question tho in STEP 2: Brew

Generally' date=' a 1.7kg Beer Kit mixed with 250g-500g of other fermentable sugar to a volume of 23 litres will produce a mid-strength beer. is the "sugar" the Brew Enhancer 1 or added sugar?

Thanks

[/quote']

Keeping it simple, in this instance the BE1 is the "sugar".

The recipe actually says to make it up to 25 litres if you want to hit 3.2 ABV.

You may get slightly higher ABV than the recipe says if you go with a 23 litre batch (due to reduced volume), but you're not going to get a batch that will knock you sideways.

In this instance you'd only add extra sugar (on top of the 1kg BE1) if you wanted to up the ABV, but in so doing you could end up with a slightly unbalanced beer.

You're other option if you really wanted to keep your ABV down, would be to add less than the 1kg of BE1, but that could prove messy if you want to weigh it before tipping it into your FV, as well as problematic if you have to store what's left afterwards (you'd need at least a sterile airtight container you could store in a cool dry place, otherwise you'll find a solid lump later when you go to use it).

Sorry for the long reply, but hope that helps, & doesn't confuse too much.

Cheers.

Hi Beans

Harry, our drinking greyhound, is spot on. Brewers have a different interpretation of "sugars" than other normal people. The 1 kg BE1 box has 600g of dextrose which will be fermented out to produce alcohol, and 400g of maltodextrin which is not a fermentable sugar (in our terms). So it will remain in solution but will not create any alcohol.

So if you're after a mid-strength easy drinking beer, you'll get that on your first attempt. So like Zaphod mentioned, after bottle carbonation, if you add enough water to make 25 litres in the fermenter, you'll end up somewhere close to 3.6% alcohol. Alternatively, if you only make it to 23 litres, it will be around 3.6%. It's your choice.

Hi All.

I have a new question about my first brew. Im using a can of Larger and a can of Draught into 46 Liters of water' date=' with 1.5kg of sugar.

My question is, would I put both packets of brewing yeast into the keg, or only one?.

Cheers

[/quote']

G'day Boof, yes both at least. wink

Cheers.

Hi All.

I have a new question about my first brew. Im using a can of Larger and a can of Draught into 46 Liters of water' date=' with 1.5kg of sugar.

My question is, would I put both packets of brewing yeast into the keg, or only one?.

Cheers

[/quote']

G'day Boof, yes both at least. wink

Cheers.

+1

1 pack of yeast is only just enough to make a normal brew, & many use 2 packs.

I'd say 2 packs of yeast in the brew you're planing is the minimum you'd want to add, & a third pack wouldn't do any harm either.

I don't 'spose you'd consider dropping the sugar to 600 grams and put in a kilo of light dry malt. It'll end up the same ABV (about 4.2% in the bottle) but should produce a noticeably better beer.

Additionally, if this is one of your first brews, if possible keep the temp down somewhere in the 18C to 21C range if possible when it's fermenting.

Archived