Coopers Community

25 Degrees. Too hot for draught?

BrendanS11

G'day Brendan, make sure to have a look at the How to Brew section.

To your question: Will assume you are using the enclosed yeast...

If you are asking from the point of view, will it ferment - the answer is 25C is ok

If you are asking from the point of view, will this temp produce a drinkable beer, the answer is 25C may be too high for your circumstances

The higher the ferment temp the more funky aromas and flavours are produced. These will normally dissipate in the bottle over time but it may take a long time (depending on how high the temp and your personal tastes).

Generally we suggest to ferment at the lower end of a recommended temp range.

Having said that, many people ferment at +27C and are happy with their brews.

Ok that gives me something to work with!

I will try to get some sort of temp control going to bring my future brews down in temp a bit. Would you say about 18 to 20 deg?

Do you use the same temps for bitters and lagers as well? in relation to a better tasting beer that is!

from what you are saying it sounds like you have the brew fermenting, already?? If this is the case, ferment this one out, bottle and taste every month, or so, to monitor how it develops. You may find that the flavours/aromas meld and soften to the point that you think, "I might like to drink the rest of this brew, it doesn't get any better than this". On the other hand, you may find the brew never really meets your tastes. Meantime, make another brew and ferment it closer to 21C, and see how it turns out.

A bitter is an ale, as is the Coopers Draught beer kit (all the original series come with ale yeast enclosed), so ferment it at the lower end of recommended temp range.

Fermentation temp for lager is dependant on the amount of yeast available, strain, final style you are chasing, etc.

Sorta wishing we had a search function on this forum because there is a lot of information sitting here for you but buried...

I hadn't noticed the search function had gone too!!!!

Do you reckon the cowboys who put the site together could add search capabilities....and emoticons.....and the ability to edit username, signature etc...and fix the "remember me" function so we don't have to sign in every time.....and a special button to block my posts when I'm whingeing........

I'll shut up now,

Muddy

speaking of draughts........

paul, what kinda grain might i STEEP (then boil to kill off infections) and add too coopers draught, with 500g of LDM and 12G OF P.O.R HOPS??.........I wanna keep the GOLDEN colour and intended colour measurement thingy of 130.???????????????

i wanna make a real aussie draught but with some balls!?

im open to any opinions, if anyone else has one?

also LUKE!!

you didnt get back to the thirsty one about your adventures of using POR as aroma hop with ya sparkling ale???

cheers

thirsty matt

Also new and keen to learn, have a lager fermenting at a similar temp, coldest part of the house, day 9 and sampled and it seemed to have a bit of fizz? Should I be worried, planning on bottling tomorrow.

Cheers

Need ideas on temp control and will search site eventually.

also LUKE!!

you didnt get back to the thirsty one about your adventures of using POR as aroma hop with ya sparkling ale???

Hey Thirsty, been havin' a few issues with "the order".

I would call the Por as a flavour addition, it doesn't smell real hoppy, but it's got a nice flavour. Kind of piney.

It get's a bit of a bad wrap but I use it heaps!

G'day IainR, sometimes a sample can have a bit of fizz and give a tingle on the tongue. Apart from that, "If it smells and tastes like beer it probably is beer!"

Just make sure that the SG readings (measured with your hydrometer) are stable over a couple of days. Normally 9 days (assuming the temp has remained above 18C) would be more than sufficient time for fermentation to be complete.

Thanks for the comments, all bottled and time will tell. I have a Coopers Euro lager waiting in the cupboard, but migt wait until winter to put that down, most posts suggest doing the fermentation at lower temps and I saw some good recipes to help spice it up.

Archived