Coopers Community

New Labels & New Thomas Cooper Range

If the yeast was dead, how has your SG come down so much? And the post above you from Frosty states his bootmaker is coming along very nicely, so not too sure about the alarm bells ringing just yet :)

I have no idea what may have happened to your brew, but it must of been fermenting at some stage and then run into a problem?? sad

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure, I call it GAK, it's kinda like a germolene, antiseptic/fennel taste.

It's kinda been obvious all along that the yeast was dead. Temps were very moderate, between 16 and 23. The brew has never changed it's attitude, just sits there bubbling with a thin foam.

The only other person on this thread that has completed a brew, also threw it out, but because he couldn't get the krau to stop - I guess this can also be caused by a wild yeast if the beer yeast is dead?

Also, I note people that got free cans are mentioning putting in BOTH packets of yeast. What's that all about? I only got one yeast from my delivered purchase.

This has been the most obvious case of dead yeast I have ever know, and I've been brewing for 10 years around 25 litres a week, something could be very wrong here.

ANZAC: My concerns are documented above in this thread, because it was never right from day 1.

Here's a pic of current state of brew, been this way since day 1.5, except for the yeast ring that appeared about day 3. Consistent quiet fizz, cling film is raised, not been tampered with, so nothing got in there during the ferment.

First day I noticed the yeast was just sitting on top, that's not the usual. I'd usually have a big foam after 12-18 hours, but this has been the same all along.

Here's a pic of current state of brew' date=' been this way since day 1.5, except for the yeast ring that appeared about day 3. Consistent quiet fizz, cling film is raised, not been tampered with, so nothing got in there during the ferment.

First day I noticed the yeast was just sitting on top, that's not the usual. I'd usually have a big foam after 12-18 hours, but this has been the same all along. [/quote']

The photo doesn't appear to work. But a yeast ring, fizz and raised cling wrap are all signs of fermentation. Not all beers and yeast produce large krausens.

An antiseptic taste may indicate it is infected though.

With brews that end up being infected, I wish there was an earlier means of detection that something negative was happening regarding the yeast that was pitched & it's ability to control the brew wort.

Unfortunately a noticeable period of lag has to expire before the alarm bells begin ringing, & by that time it is often too late to salvage the brew as the wild yeast or infection has already grabbed hold. sad

The dry yeast strains appear more vulnerable to infections & wild yeast interference because they are generally pitched in a dormant state, whereas the Wyeast smack packs awaken the yeast & have them in an active state when pitched into the main brew wort.

The only practical way I see of being able to reduce infected brews is to make a starter with the dry yeast strains. By doing this, it puts the yeast cells into an active state when pitched.

I've brewed with quite a number of Wyeast smack pack strains & never had a single infected brew from them. I put that down to the fact that the yeast are in an active state when pitched as opposed to the dry strains that are in a dormant state (even when re-hydrated).

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

Thanks guys

Yes Lusty, that's pretty much a guarantee, I feel my tried and tested methods are also.

I have succeeded with 99% of my brews happily, and have a very good idea of what is right or wrong, and this was wrong from the start, as per my previous posts.

This yeast was dead and therefore prone to infection. And I'd normally say bad luck old chap, but this is a newly created, newly shipped product, and it's one of the very rare times I have had dead yeast, and the only other person on here to complete this brew also got a contamination.

I'd be asking questions, even if only preliminary questions.

Now my neighbour has tried the Innkeepers daughter, and also noticed no activity, and has pitched more yeast into it.

Has anyone brewed one of these new brews yet? So far the score is Yeast 0 Contamination 3.

Coopers don't seem concerned, the Brew A IPA had better work, cos it's the only IPA in the range now. Don't think I'll be trying any of the others.

So byo yeast then?

Yeah I'm a big fan of US-05 but I am doing this first Bootmaker as per the instructions including dry pitching the yeast (albeit with two packets) just to see what it's like and hopefully compare it with others results here.

It's also my first time using a brew fridge and it's working a treat, fermentation was up and running pretty quick with my brew and I'm really enjoying sticking my head in the fridge to savor the wonderful aroma.

Sorry to hear it's not working out for others, I'm not sure why.

So byo yeast then?

It's also my first time using a brew fridge and it's working a treat' date=' fermentation was up and running pretty quick with my brew and I'm really enjoying sticking my head in the fridge to savor the wonderful aroma.

Sorry to hear it's not working out for others, I'm not sure why. [/quote']

Yeah I do the same

Howdy all... long time reader, first time poster.

ive done alot of extract brewing over the last 15 odd yrs...

anyway i put down the bootmakers PA sunday week ago along with the Sparkling.

As a first time for either of these tins i kept the brew exactly as the tin states just to see how they are standard. i pitched the yeast at about 25deg and brought the temp down to around 20 deg in my brew fridge from which it has stayed.

Both started and powered on fine, but the Bootmakers got me slightly concerned as after about 8 days the foam on the top was still thick and it was bubbling away pretty continuously. i read on another post that 'otto von blotto' was saying that he had us05? yeast that took about 9 days before dropping out on one of his brews? whereas at the same stage the sparkling looks pretty much like its done. ive not done a gravity reading on either yet to confirm that the sparkling is finished, but im assuming that there is something very different about the bootmakers yeast.

I wont be bottling for another week, but it still smells like expected.

Welcome to the forum John!

I don't know what the yeast is in the Bootmaker but I do know that US-05 tends to produce a krausen that hangs around for a long time.

You can try whacking the fermenter with a spoon; this will disturb the krausen and encourage it to drop. Otherwise, leave it be and one day it just magically disappears. Crash chilling helps if you can do that.

I kegged and bottled the Thomas Coopers Brew A IPA on Sat. I brewed with 1.5KG DME and the can. It fermented out perfectly, and I had a taste while bottling and Im very impressed so far. It had a nice bitterness and strong grapefruit, Citrus flavour. Im looking forward to trying this once carbonated.

Hi guys.

I finally got off my backside & kegged the new 86 Days Pilsner yesterday. It ended up spending a full week cold conditioning in my brew fridge. It has come out very clear & clean. I'm still mucking around with my fast carbing technique & made some small adjustments to that method yesterday which appear to have paid dividends. happy

I poured a couple late last night when I arrived home from work & they poured beautifully with a lovely creamy head. I used the W34/70 lager yeast on this brew as I have always done with the Pilsners & it has again helped to compliment the flavours of the kit. Brewed to 23 litres the beer has a nice spicy note without being in your face & drinks lovely & clean. happy

In comparison to it's predecessor, I feel it presents slightly lighter in colour, & I had to brew the old kit down to 21 litres to achieve a similar taste profile on the palate. It's still a little young & will only improve over the coming weeks.

I don't brew a lot of lager beers mainly because they are more time intensive, & to do them well some added effort from me is required above my standard ale brewing practices. That said when using a nice lager yeast strain & going the extra yard, I've really enjoyed the end beers I've made with them. joyful

I'll take a pic of it in the glass when a suitable opportunity presents.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi All,

I was lucky enough to be one of the recipients of a can of the new range from Coopers to trial and I chose the Bootmaker which duly arrived in December. I made it according to instructions and am very pleased with the result.

Not being a food and drink critic, but a man of simple pleasures, I would like to report that it tastes just GREAT - I made it with one KG LDME, the kit yeast, 20C, and nothing else added and I am tasting one now after three weeks conditioning.

Some of the guys who post on this thread seemed to have had a problem with the yeast but I was lucky enough to avoid that and my fermenter bubbled away for about four days - I left it to settle in the fermenter for a fortnight, then bottled and left it condition for three weeks.

Most of the more experienced home brewers who regularly post on this forum will have more discerning taste buds than I, but being a kit and kilo man I can only say it's a real, real nice ale and sooo easy to make.

My usual brew is the Fruit Salad Ale which is APA, LDME with some Amarillo and Cascade hops steeped, but the basic Bootmaker gave me as nice a drinkable beer that I usually make.

Hope this helps, especially you guys that keep it simple - if you're looking for an easy to make ale that tastes just great, give it a try and get yourself a can of Bootmaker and brew it to the basic instructions.

Thank you Coopers for giving me the opportunity to taste-test the new range,

Cheers, Petermur.

I was lucky enough to try the Family Secret Amber Ale. I followed the instructions as suggested so it was with kg of LDM and the 2 packets yeast provided.

I had it in the fermentater for 2 weeks to give it time to clear and managed to keep the temperature down to about 20 degrees with one of the cool brewing bags that I discovered here on the forum. I must admit it has been very handy during summer here in Adelaide.

It has now been in the bottle for just over 2 weeks. I must admit it is a bit darker then I thought it would be for an amber ale (not sure if I did something wrong or I have it in the wrong glass) but there are lots of biscuit type flavours which must be from the malt, with some subtle citrusy hops flavour.

I was lucky enough to try the Family Secret Amber Ale. I followed the instructions as suggested so it was with kg of LDM and the 2 packets yeast provided.

I had it in the fermentater for 2 weeks to give it time to clear and managed to keep the temperature down to about 20 degrees with one of the cool brewing bags that I discovered here on the forum. I must admit it has been very handy during summer here in Adelaide.

It has now been in the bottle for just over 2 weeks. I must admit it is a bit darker then I thought it would be for an amber ale (not sure if I did something wrong or I have it in the wrong glass) but there are lots of biscuit type flavours which must be from the malt' date=' with some subtle citrusy hops flavour.[/quote']

Hi Gav

Thanks for the preview of Family Secret, it sounds like it tastes just as Coopers say. I bottled mine on the 25/1/16 and it tasted nice straight from the fermenter. I'll try a sample on about the 7/2/16. As you say, it is very dark looking in the fermenter and the PET bottles.

Seems the score for Bootmaker is now Good 2 Bad 4, which is a pretty lousy score for any beer for making it out of the FV in one piece, let alone a Coopers premium brand.

Time to pull the 'not fit for purpose' card and find out the Coopers policy on guarantee.

$20 a can is one thing, but the lack of concern/official comment is the real let down here.

I wonder if the new Irish Stout will be available at Big W? I was there today and they had the other International Series, so guessing it will be.

I wish they would sell the Malt extract cans as well in stores, they are a great price compared to my LHBS ($16 for Black rock). whistling

G'day Brewers, I was kindly gifted one of the new Coopers range, Thomas Coopers Family Secret Amber Ale , it came with 2 yeast packs and I used both, the fermentables arrived a little later. wink

I made this brew up stock standard and used 1 kg of Light dry malt, water to 23 litres, I notice a fresh soft citrus oder on opening the can, all went well it was brewed at 20°C, it spent 26 days in the fermenter and was bottled on the 19 of the first and has been in the bottle 16 days. wink

The beer has a deep amber colour, it has a light bitterness to my taste and is a pleasantly flavored beer, if you like Coopers Dark Ale, the commercial one this might be what your looking for. smile

When I brew it again i'll late hop with a C-hop, Cascade, Citra, Centennial or Chinook and not to much so as to over power but to enhance. It may also like some English hops late as well but that's another beer, so a couple of options at least, all in all its a nice beer the way it is and I think minimal tweaking could make a very good drop indeed. wink

If I notice any big changes over time in the bottle, I'll let you know. wink

Thanks' Mx Coopers.

Cheers.

Howdy,

When the new range come out i put an order in for each of the new brews... ofcourse the free shipping come up 3 days after, but ive had the chance to lay most of them down already.

as a first run i intend to do them all standard.

The Amber ale is already being sampled, and i quite like it...

anyway as an update on my bootmakers pa that i was worried about...

im not a fan of racking but i inteded to rack it tonight as it still looked like it was bubbling flat out and still seemed to have the 4 day foam when normal brews starts to ferment, and its been 11 days since being layed down.

i had a good look and decided against racking, the hydromeda reading said that it was still about 1.018 and the sample tasted quite nice, so im ruling out my first infection... but i still think it has a little way to go as i feel the gravity reading is still a bit too high, even though i used 1.5kg of ldme.

i used a clean brew spoon to break the surface and the foam quickly disappeared, and i noticed that the bubbles coming up from the trub were very frequent and quite a few of them were dragging about a rice grains amount of trub with it to the surface then it would sink again... so i did something that im not a fan off... i gave it a really light stir, and this release a heap of trapped co2 and it suddenly looked like a normal brew that is almost ready to bottle... so back into the brew fridge at 20deg for a few more days... i think it will be fine...

did you guys get 2 packets of yeast under the lid???

i only got 1 packet of yeast under the lid of all the brews that i ordered...

so im assuming that coopers were just being generous to the give aways and putting an extra packet in with them to make sure they work?

Hi guys' date='

The Preachers Hefe (that was so kindly sent to me from Coopers) is in the later stages of primary fermentation. I kept the recipe very simple and used my new Cool Brew bag to maintain the recommended temperature. The details are:

1.7kgs Coopers Preachers Hefe Kit

1.5kgs Coopers Wheat Extract

2 x 7gr Wheat Yeast

Made up to 23ltrs (half DS Water, half Tap water)

Fermented @ 21 degrees (approx.)

I followed the instructions on the label and pitched the yeast straight on top of the wort and had signs of fermentation with 8 hours, with a good size krausen (@ 10cm) within 24hours. Wonderful bread aromas with a slight sour note. Took a sample yesterday and it poured a pale gold almost white-ish colour with a nice lacey head. Taste was somewhere between an Erdinger Weiss and Hoegaarden without the citrus/spice.

So far, the new Preachers Hefe appears to be an absolute cracker of a kit for such minimal effort but I will post an update once the brew is bottled, carbed and tested.

Cheers[/quote']

Would love to hear a bit more about this when it's ready to taste. @Pb2, can we expect any banana flavours from the coopers wheat yeast if brewed a bit warmer?

Archived