Coopers Community

New Labels & New Thomas Cooper Range

I've done a few (5) Inn Keepers since the new range has come out and found them to be as good if not better than the old TC range.

I have used both the pack yeast and captured yeast and a combination of both of these and all turned out great and all my mates drank em no complaints

Inkeepers Daughter and Family secret are great brews without any tampering, except to use US-05 yeast. The Aust. Pale Ale is a great base kit for adding different hops etc. If you can pick up any "home brew taste" among that lot your palate has been damaged.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We still can't buy the new TC range in the U.S. They are still trying to unload the old stale-dated stuff on the Coopers U.S. site (us.diybeer.com). For a while they had a 1/2 price promotion, but I wasn't happy with the stated "best before" dates. I know from Coopers that the new line was shipped to the U.S. back in March, but still hasn't hit the shelves.

I guess they only care about the Mr. Beer line over here. I was very happy with Coopers kits,

but with their obvious lake of concern for marketing Coopers, I'll need to just move on and just use

fresh Briess malts with my own hop additions.

Oh well, nothing lasts forever!

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

At most I might do a small hop boil for 5mins or so with 10-15gms of Hallertau, but not alter the base recipe at all beyond that. Knowing the preferred ferment volume for the kit though (21 or 23 litres?) would be handy.

The only real money I'll spend on it outside the core ingredients is the yeast as that will have a large bearing on the final flavour outcome. When I get around to brewing it, I'm thinking of re-acquainting myself with the Wyeast Budvar 2000 lager strain, that I think would be perfect for a beer like this. cool

This will be a few brews away though, as I currently have a very nice array of aromatic hops that are just begging to be smashed into some pale ale brews, & I'm just hanging to use them!

Moutere (Brooklyn), El Dorado, Citra, Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, & Bravo just to name a few. biggrin

It's been a good two months since I've brewed a hoppy pale ale, & given that is my staple diet, that situation needs to be rectified. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Fascinating mate! I hadn't heard much of this dortmunder export until now. Got me googling and chanced upon the wyeast styles page. https://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_styledetails.cfm?ID=125

Sounds like u have some interesting brews coming up with those hops u have to play with. I've got my hands on Citra and equally as keen to get it into a brew and try something new.

Look forward to hearing the updates.

Jools

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Has anyone had one of the new TC Golden Crown Lager tins yet?

Im wondering what they instructions on the tin say about the included yeast. Im assumption that it is using a proper lager yeast, and good to brew down around 13deg?

Ive got one on order and want to put it on when i get it, so if its not using a lager strain i might go and get one before it turns up.

From memory the discontinued Heritage Lager had a Lager yeast in it...

• 2 months later...

Woops lol

As for lagers, they aren't all boring crap like the megaswills are. A good Bo pils or Munich Helles or any of those Euro style lagers brewed well are streets ahead and quite flavourful. The flavour isn't to everyone's liking of course, it's just usually when someone says something like that about lagers they are referring to the rubbish put out by the mega breweries.

I brewed the new Golden Crown Lager and bottled about a month ago... i did the brew as standard to get the benchmark flavour etc... fermented at 13deg... and im very happy with the way that it has turned out, even though it is still pretty young in the bottle.

I would do it again and i dont think it will last too long once the summer days start to really warm up here in adelaide.

thanks to all the advice here on yeast harvesting, i washed enough cells from this brew and currently have a os lager going with the harvested yeast at 13deg... i didnt want to use an expensive tin incase i stuffed it but it looks good, so thanks everyone who contributed to those topics...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I'm having a grizzle here so for those who are not interested, perhaps go to another more positive thread. I just wanted to make some comments about the revised Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale kit that have been simmering with me for sometime since it's restructure & release.

...Made in the tradition of the commercial brew' date=' this Sparkling Ale has a deep golden amber colour and full malt driven palate.[/quote']

CommercialSparklingAle.jpg

This is a picture of the commercial version in the glass taken a short while ago. I'm sorry but I don't see anything resembling "golden amber" in colour with that. whistling

The deep malt driven palate descriptor is however VERY true. cool

Coopers obviously had a problem selling the DIY kit tin else it wouldn't have changed the configuration. There was nothing wrong with the original configuration, it just wasn't promoted & pushed in the same circles as the AUS Pale Ale that it is in direct competition with on the shelves.

IMHO the original configuration @ 490 IBU should be on the shelves at my local supermarket in place of the dark ale kit & watch it boom in sales!

On a side note, I blame Hairy for the new configuration as he said it came across as too "sweet" when he brewed this kit last. A lazy lack of testing for expected FG would have led to a higher than expected FG on that occasion thus ending up with a sweeter beer as a result. Even a lazy yeast or poor pitching rate could cause that. whistlingtongue

I never found the original kit produced a sweet beer. innocent

This kit is lost in the current mix of Coopers kits & it shouldn't be because it has terrific malt qualities.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived