Coopers Community

You know you are in too far when...

Cerveja

I caught myself today showing the wife some crystal grain destined for Scottie's Styx River PA and drooling over the aroma etc. She was very polite as she sipped one of my SWPA clones but it got me thinking. When have you realised you are past the point of no return?

G'day Cerveja,

Not 100% sure what you're asking, but I'd say it's the same as any hobby that becomes an obsession. Ie when brewing is the thing you look forward to most, and when you're not brewing you're thinking about and planning your next brewing-related purchase or activity. Basically when it gets out of balance with the rest of your life, especially when it starts to take priority over more important things.

I brew once every few weeks and spend a fair bit of time reading information and planning recipes in between. So maybe I am in too far for my (and my wife's) own good!

Cheers,

John

Probably when I tasted my first all grain batch. Ever since then it's been a downhill slide into yeast harvesting/re-using, which has part of my kitchen looking like a meth lab, the freezer taken over with hops, grain all over the place, moving to kegging and now I'm growing my own hops as well!

In amongst all that has been a lot of reading and research and of course thinking about what I need to buy next or what recipe I want to brew next etc.

Yep definitely past the point of no-return now! lol

Probably when I tasted my first all grain batch. Ever since then it's been a downhill slide into yeast harvesting/re-using' date=' which has part of my kitchen looking like a meth lab, the freezer taken over with hops, grain all over the place, moving to kegging and now I'm growing my own hops as well!

In amongst all that has been a lot of reading and research and of course thinking about what I need to buy next or what recipe I want to brew next etc.

Yep definitely past the point of no-return now! [img']lol[/img]

How's growing hops in Brisbane working out? I love me some gardening and when the idea of growing my own hops struck I got super excited but was put off by a number of posts of failed hops growing attempts in the SE Qld climate. I had resigned myself to it not being a possibility, glad to be proven wrong!!!!

Edit: I knew I was in too deep when I started having nightmares of spoiled brews and waking up crying...

These are only first year plants, but they appear to be taking off pretty well. My Hallertau has four shoots (or plants now) from a single 6 inch long rhizome, and the Fuggle has two plants although it was a bigger rhizome. At least they are there though. Some plants are growing quicker than others but on average they're about 10-12cm high at the moment and shooting up well.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting the things to actually grow here (although it's probably too late for planting this year), but what I have heard is that the flowering isn't as prolific as it is further south. Guess I'll wait and see on that one. biggrin

You know you're in too far when you're more concerned that your beer is kept at the right temperature than you are about your own comfort.

When you have a room so packed with brewing gear that you have to pile it in a corner, just so you can use the room for any other purpose, & you feel a compulsion to make a batch of beer, not because you need more beer to drink, but the fact you have 30 empty bottles that you know are enough to handle your next batch.

When having enough space in the fridge to keep your beers cold trumps the need to have space for food.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one for ya - my fellow brewing adicts might appreciate this!

"You know you're too far in when"........ You leave post dinner drinks with guests to go inside and cook up your next brew in the kitchen at 10pm ... then you fall down the stairs carrying the full FV on the way to the garage, break your leg but importantly don't drop the FV and save the brew!!!

just spent 7 hours in the hospital - now with a splint and crutches, but hey I've got a nice Smotty Ale Brewing biggrin

Thanks Porschemad - just a small fracture so will be up and around in no time, and yes I won't be carrying it out there again after a few beers!

7 hours in the hospital Ben - yep was rather tedious but apparently a public hospital can get that busy even on a Monday morning! - many looking worse than me so guess I shouldn't grumble

I did lie when the doctor asked what I was carrying though, .... no mention of beer!

Thanks Porschemad - just a small fracture so will be up and around in no time' date=' and yes I won't be carrying it out there again after a few beers!

7 hours in the hospital Ben - yep was rather tedious but apparently a public hospital can get that busy even on a Monday morning! - many looking worse than me so guess I shouldn't grumble

I did lie when the doctor asked what I was carrying though, .... no mention of beer! [/quote']

I'm sure if you disclosed that you were carrying a brew when the accident happened, the doctor would have asked if the brew was ok!

I did lie when the doctor asked what I was carrying though' date=' .... no mention of beer! [/quote']

I bet that went over well. "Yes, doctor, I was carrying err, ahhh, umm, my wife's corpse down the stairs..."

Here's to a very quick recovery, and I'm not certain this is true, but I've been told that 2 bottles of beer contains your body's average daily chromium requirements. Of course, you'll have much higher requirements with the leg fracture and all.

I did lie when the doctor asked what I was carrying though' date=' .... no mention of beer! [/quote']

G'day Payno, you were not telling a fib, at that stage it was still "wort" and won't be beer until after fermentation. wink

Importantly you didn't drop the FV and saved the day. happy

Cheers.

Thanks for the well wishes - recovering quickly, luckily only a hairline fracture.

yes Magnaman - technically I wasn't carrying beer, but to the non-brewers telling them you were carrying 23 litres of "wort" would probably sound even more dodgy

Oh well - quiet few days ahead and will be taking Anti's prescription for the chromium - and a couple more for pain relief biggrin

It actually becomes beer as soon as you pitch the yeast into it, up until this point obviously it's wort. Otherwise how do you decide what constitutes "fermentation" as being the point at which it changes? A few SG points through it or all the way? To me, after fermentation could be any point after the fermentation starts, as some has occurred.

So if you'd already pitched the yeast then you would have been carrying 23 litres of beer, if not, then it was wort. tonguelol

It actually becomes beer as soon as you pitch the yeast into it' date=' up until this point obviously it's wort. Otherwise how do you decide what constitutes "fermentation" as being the point at which it changes? A few SG points through it or all the way? To me, after fermentation could be any point after the fermentation starts, as some has occurred.

So if you'd already pitched the yeast then you would have been carrying 23 litres of beer, if not, then it was wort. [img']tongue[/img]lol

I disagree. tongue

Sorry to hear about this payno.. lucky it wasn't a full on break.

On the topic of 'you know you're in too far', I have found myself finding it very easy to drift off to sleep on an evening, by thinking brewing, about that brew I had with dinner, what's brewing downstairs in the garage, coming up with process improvement ideas, what I'm going to brew next etc lol

Sorry to hear about this payno.. lucky it wasn't a full on break.

On the topic of 'you know you're in too far'' date=' I have found myself finding it very easy to drift off to sleep on an evening, by thinking brewing, about that brew I had with dinner, what's brewing downstairs in the garage, coming up with process improvement ideas, what I'm going to brew next etc [img']lol[/img]

Thanks Headmaster - its all good, to quote Monty Python ' tis but just a scratch'. sitting on my deck with my leg up and a homebrew in hand.

I know what you mean - I'm still a brewginner but I find myself doing the same thing, or drifting off at work thinking of what's brewing at home or what's next in the list. My internet surfing now predominantly comprises looking up recipes and being in here - my wife thinks I've joined some weird cult ........ well, maybe kindawink

Archived