Coopers Community

Beer Glasses in Gift Packs

antiphile

It's a big weekend on the way. The owner of my birth canal starts her nonagenarian decade on Sunday, and with all the family and partners and kids etc flying in, she wanted me to top up the beer and wine supplies for several days of drinking, eating and entertainment. Of course I arrived a few days ago and realised I hadn't brought up any decent beer glass. So off to Dr. Dan's ths morning.

I'd heard about them having some nice glasses (Beer Station Craft Beer Glasses) at about $12 for a box of 4. Checked them out; good solid glasses, stemmed tulip shape, and a capacity of around 350 ml at a guess. So a few boxes of those were grabbed.

Also wanted to get some Feral Hop Hop ($16 for a 4 pack) for a side by side comparison with one B10 helped me with not long ago. Next to them was a Sierra Nevada Hop Lovers Gift Pack at $25 that contained the Pale Ale, Torpedo and Hop Hunter, as well as a Sierra Nevada logoed, Spiegelau IPA beer glass (capacity around 450 ml). From what could be seen, it was a nice looking glass, so what the heck.

Got it out at home, and while it is a good looking glass, I really wouldn't recommend anyone follow my footsteps. It doesn't give the impression it will last very long with an extremely thin lip (at a guess less than 0.3 ml). I've seen thicker razor blades! At least you won't have to worry about anyone putting it in the dishwasher, 'cos it's likely to dissolve.

So my suggestion is that if you want the Torpedo or the Hop Hunter, you're better off foregoing the glass, and for about the same price just buy the 6 pack of beer. Well, that wraps up the antiphile's Whinge of the Hour. Cheers.

PS. Technically speaking, just like the third millennium of the Common Era didn't commence until 2001, her nonagenarianism commences in 2017.

I got a twin pack of the Spiegelau IPA and while agree it appears pretty delicate at the rim, just yesterday while rinsing it I whacked the rim pretty hard on one of the Le Creuset lids sitting in drainer. I winced when it happened expecting that to be the end of the glass and the start of a clean up session, but it just rang out with the angelic sound you expect from very quick sinusoidal fluctuations in air pressure (ie a ting!) and all was fine. So I am pretty impressed with them but I still try to be very careful with them.

I have some of the Spiegelau glasses.

The IPA glass is quite nice but I love the tulip glasses. Unfortunately my wife has smashed one in the sink but luckily I had a two pack.

Great to drink from but very delicate.

I also like my 16oz Brooklyn Brewery glass. It is thick and heavy and should be considered a weapon.

I've got a few of those SN Spieglau IPA glasses. Mine hold a pint, so I don't know if they make different sizes or not. Agreed about them being quite thin and delicate though. I've already broken one of them and I don't use them very often for that reason. I will give one a shot when I have my IPA in the keg though. devil

After breaking a few of my favourite beer glasses (and shedding a few manly tears), I picked up a twin pack of 500mL steins at Aldi and now use them pretty much exclusively:

b44a6514121607193239295e72ddaca6687c9e5b.jpg

I dropped one right off the edge of the bench the other day, it fell about a metre onto the floor, then merrily bounced & rolled itself into the hallway. The only visible damage I could see anywhere was a slight dent on the floor where it first landed.

I'll confess, Ottoman, I just guessed the capacity. Chances are it's the same size as the one you have.

Gibbo: I think those were the ones they were selling at Aldi the week before Oktoberfest??? If they are, I'm kicking myself for being too lazy to go and get some if they're that solid. IIRC, you could get 2 X 500 ml or 1 X 1 litre stein for about $6.

Gibbo: I think those were the ones they were selling at Aldi the week before Oktoberfest???

Yep, those are the ones -- I'll stick my head in the local store and see if there are any left if you like.

I'll flick you a message on AHB if they have any.

I like those Spiegelau IPA glasses, but agree with Hairy, the tulips are nicer. They're pretty versatile as well.

I break everything when washing up but despite feeling very thin, my 2 IPA glasses survived. Unfortunately one of them didn't survive my mother-in-law when she was visiting from Singapore.

I love the Speiglau glasses I scored in a bridge road pack. They look flimsy but so far, so good. Anti, next time head on into Vinnies (or similar) if one is near. I have an awesome glass collection from there. Also perfect for 'party' glasses. You will probably even find a pony for the owner of your birth canal.

Archived