Coopers Community

1.5L Grolsch Bottles

I've got three of those in the garage that I got when I bought some normal size Grolsch bottles off Gumtree. I was going to use them. Probably to put some kind of Lager in, so they could be opened when we have a BBQ and be used in one pouring. Apart from that I don't really see much use. Novelty value really.

In terms of bottling and carbonating the beer, no it's not too big. That process will still work fine regardless of the bottle size. However I agree with the others that they would mainly only be useful in certain circumstances like a BBQ or similar.

I have four growlers (about 1.9 litres) that I got from Newstead Brewing, but I can only find two of the lids. pinched I'll likely use these to take beer to BBQs etc. since I keg my beers now. I can just fill them from the taps, and not have to worry about sediment either.

I've got one of these, I had been using it for a water bottle for a couple of years, then sanitised it and bottled a fairly high carbonation lager in it, I think it needed a new seal, as when I was driving somewhere with it, it was hissing when I went over bumps in the rd.

That's whats good about the swingtops, apart from usually being very strong bottles rated for more volumes of CO2 due to style of beer, they probably will release pressure by themselves before they would explode, due to the design of the swing top being a sprung system.

Got a couple of these. Use them for brews that I want to lay down for a while (Dark Ales, Stouts, Barley Wines etc.), as I generally use the PET bottles which let a small amount of air into them over time.

Yes, also good for sharing a brew with a larger group of people (or if you have a really big thirst).

Cheers,

Pete

I usually bottle 750ml bottles for sharing - the problem with bottle conditioning is that I'm holding the god damn thing at tipping point to void swishing back and unsettling the particulates. It really is a pain, which is why I have a stack of 375ml bottles and quite frankly would prefer to just bottle these and if someone hasn't got there glass ready I can get a bit agro. devil

Drinking on my own, setting the > 1 glass bottle down will inevitably ruin any possiblity of the next pour being clear. But I don't care.

The other problem is my latest batch was dry hopped and well, it's as cloudy as, so I probably won't worry as much and tell people to stfu and drink it.

So in summary if you are upscaling to 1.5l bottles for convenience because bottling is such a PITA then just go keg and bottle whatever is left over in smaller bottles.

Peace and hops!

Archived