Sign in to follow this  
old bill

Golden Cluster Hops

Just bought some to grow from Hopgarden on ebay It was all they had left .Are they any good Will they suit my mostly ale style ???

Hi old bill.

Cluster, much like Pride Of Ringwood, gets a bit of a bad wrap in craft brewing circles. Mainly because each is widely used in many large scale commercial beers here in AUS (in particular).

If for just a brief moment you let go of the stigma surrounding opinion of both of them, & actually spend a bit of time brewing with them, you soon realize why they were selected for many of these commercial beers in the first place. Sorry, I'm babbling! innocent

I've used Cluster in a number of brews. Two I can think of where it worked very well were, the Coopers DIY Steam Beer, & I subbed it in place of the Perle hop addition in the well known SNPA clone recipe. happy

It's said to be a dual purpose hop, but I've found it's best attributes shine 20mins & below in the boil. wink

Nice spicy aspect combined with a light to medium floral tone that I thought worked well in with a compliment of other suitable hops.

Good luck with growing it.

Lusty.

I made a XXXX a like with heaps of late cluster and it was great.

REALLY nice hop and I am certain it will play well with other aussie hops like Vic Secret