Coopers Community

Julebryg Christmas Beer

NikZak

Hey folks, for my second post on this forum, I'm going to share with you my first annual Julebryg Christmas beer

This is a toucan so prepare for a bit of a krausen

1x 1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale

1x 1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale

100g Maple syrup

60g Brown sugar (it's all I had left)

1.5 whole Star anise

1 Tbsp Cloves

1 Large vanilla pod

2 cinnamon sticks

10g Cascade hop pellets

Both kit yeasts pitched into 28 degree water for 30mins prior to pitching into wort

Method

Put the spices, maple syrup, brown sugar and hops into a saucepan with about 2.5L of water and bring it to the boil

While this was coming to the boil, clean and sanitise fermenter and all other tools (spoon, seive, airlock, can opener) and put both cans of Coopers goo into sink of hot water

Simmer spice mixture for 20 mins then let cool for 30 mins with the lid on the saucepan

Open cans of goo, pour into fermenter and rinse cans with boiled water into fermenter

Strain spice mixture into fermenter

Stir well to dissolve the extract

Pour one saucepan full of water through strainer into the fermenter to extract as much tasty goodness into the mixture then continue to top up to about the 20L mark

Check temperature (mine was at 24 degrees at this point, just perfect) and OG (mine was 1.053)

Pitch yeast, put on lid and airlock, fill airlock with water/fluid of your choice and leave to do its thing in a dark cool spot

I hope that turns out nice. I made a batch of Julebryg last year as per the Coopers recipe and it turned out beautifully, sampled some around Christmas and then put the rest aside for the start of winter.

I did mine using the European lager kit. I'm on a bit of a stout kick at the moment and was thinking about doing one in that style for the next batch. My wife has a jar of Christmas spice kicking about which is cinnamon, coriander, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and cocoa so just a bit of tinkering with the traditional Julebryg spice mix would be needed.

As the Tuborg Julebryg is one of my favourite beers, I literately grew up on Tuborg, many a year I enjoyed this drop. Very easy to get hooked on when you are Danish :)

Sadly my result did not live up to my expectation or my memory of how it really taste, and I didn't enjoy it. Don't know it was my mixing up/brewing or the recipe.

Though that said everyone - mainly English Ale drinkers - who tried it really enjoyed it.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you ferment at 24 degrees or at a normal ale temp(20ish)?

I fermented this at 20-22 degrees as I hadn't set up my brewcave yet, now that the cave is set up though I'm brewing at 16 degrees and will probably need a heat belt for ale yeasts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Quadricorn

I've had a sneaky taste of it and it so far tastes great, the spices really shine through. It's kind of a deep amber/red color which is about what I was hoping for (didn't want it to be black as that would scare off most of the family at christmas time) and it smells great

I'm looking forward to giving the family a run at it come Christmas day

• 4 years later...
On 10/1/2015 at 11:43 AM, Ben 10 said:

Good luck!.

Star anise in wonderful in this type of beer.

I brewed mine to the Tuborg style as a Vienna Lager.

Lovely beer.

Hi Ben,

I was searching the internet for a Tuborg Julebryg clone and your post came up. I also read that Julebryg is in the style of a Vienna lager, but with added liquorice. How did yours go? Do you have a recipe to share?

Recipe: Julebryg III
Style: Vienna Lager
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 33.00 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 30.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         1          60.3 %        2.28 L        
2.00 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         2          34.5 %        1.30 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         3          4.3 %         0.16 L        
0.05 kg          Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1000.8 EBC)     Grain         4          0.9 %         0.03 L        
25.00 g          Dana [13.90 %] - First Wort 90.0 min             Hop           5          40.5 IBUs     -             
4.00 Items       Anise, Star (Boil 30.0 mins)                     Spice         6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something like that, with a lager yeast.
I might need to do another one.

There are a fe variations with a few different hops, something "noble".
I recall a nice subtle anise flavour.

20 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Something like that, with a lager yeast.
I might need to do another one.

There are a fe variations with a few different hops, something "noble".
I recall a nice subtle anise flavour.

Thanks Ben! It’s funny that your recipe is almost identical to what I was thinking. Though I added Caraamber instead of caraaroma. I found a description of ingredientes from Tuborg that said “malt, barley, hops, liquorice”. So I was thinking of using roasted barley for colour and then liquorice root in the boil. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2020 at 11:23 AM, Ben 10 said:

No worries. I use caraaroma as I love the flvour it brings.
Let me know how yours goes, and include a picture at some point please.

Judgement day. A bit to dark, with 2% roasted barley. A bit dryer than the Tuborg, which was actually good. Added one liquorice root, 15 minute boil, and ended up with less liquorice flavour than the original. But all in all not a bad run, my family rated it higher than Tuborg in a blind test. 

02DCBB63-89AC-43A2-82FB-39B82622B34C.jpeg

• Like 6