Coopers Community

2 brews ruined...oh woe is me!!

Dubster

Hi all,

Just need to share my pain.... I've been bulk priming for a while, usually stirring it in the FV and bottling after 30mins. Well, I was getting a lot of sediment and thought maybe racking is the way to go. Got myself a syphon, put the priming sugar in the bottling bucket and away I went. I didn't stir it because I read that the force of the beer swirling into the bb would be enough...

2 weeks later a bottle blows up....never happened before and was wracking my brains as to what happened. I clean and sanitise everything so I started opening a few bottles (very carefully mind you!). Anyway, some are dead flat (but taste good), and others are over-carbonated. Not gushers, but way over carbonated and taste very sweet.

So, I've put it down to perhaps the syphon not running very fast (was a bit of a slow flow) and the sugar not mixing through the brew equally.

The worst part is that I did 2 brews identically....the second is the same, some very over-carbonated and sweet, the others flat. So goodbye Nut Brown Ale and American Amber Ale....

I think they're probably too dangerous to keep as I don't know which ones are over carbed and which ones are not. They're currently stored in a cold shed.

Any ideas as to what I could do? (apart from empty them all)

Yeah, I used to use the priming drops but was given a heap of odd sized bottles and have been bulk priming without issue till now.

I think it was the syphon and slow transfer from FV to BB. Next time I'll set it up so I can drain from the FV tap to the BB and give a few gentle stirs to make sure its all mixed adequately.

Live and learn!!

Hi all' date='

Just need to share my pain.... I've been bulk priming for a while, usually stirring it in the FV and bottling after 30mins. Well, I was getting a lot of sediment and thought maybe racking is the way to go. Got myself a syphon, put the priming sugar in the bottling bucket and away I went. I didn't stir it because I read that the force of the beer swirling into the bb would be enough...

2 weeks later a bottle blows up....never happened before and was wracking my brains as to what happened. I clean and sanitise everything so I started opening a few bottles (very carefully mind you!). Anyway, some are dead flat (but taste good), and others are over-carbonated. Not gushers, but way over carbonated and taste very sweet.

[/quote']

Interesting, I've bulk primed into the last 3 brews - that is I rack the FV after settling for a week or more into the priming vessel and bottle straight away (well, as soon as I get my shit together - no rush though!).

All of them turn out perfect - which makes me an advocate of bulk priming (for myself atleast).

However these are the fundamentals of what I do:

1) Check some online bulk priming calculator - factor in residual carbonation (Note: Only something that I notice is more important with lagers).

2) Liquidate the sugar (I use dextrose) on a stove with ~250ml of water - bring to boil.

3) Allow to cool (somewhat - bout by the time I got my shit together)

4) Rack off FV into PV with and poor in as soon it flows.

5) Bottle.

No stiring, no nothin. Just bottlin.

Bulk priming is good to me because I use odd bottles from the wasteland that I have scavenged.

I don't put racking the beer to bulk prime it in the same category as racking to a secondary. The reasoning behind both of these practices is completely different.

In my view the benefits of bulk priming outweigh any cons it might have. You can use any size bottles, you can far more accurately adjust the level of carbonation to taste, and it's also cheaper than buying carb drops. I also find it makes the actual bottling itself quicker, disregarding the extra time to prepare the solution, rack the beer, clean the extra items etc., however, these are minor inconveniences to me.

Archived