Coopers Community

The Begginer's Ginger Beer

T4VN3R

Hi Guys, I am looking to start my very first home brew. I have recently been going off beer and leaning more towards Ginger Beers. I love the Brookvale Union, Lick Pier, Crabbies etc. Carbonated Ginger Beer. Can anyone suggest a recipe to emulate those styles of ginger beer?

I am not opposed to the ginger bite and love the refreshing bubbliness of them all. Absolutely any direction would be fantastic as I haven't got the slightest clue. I have read a few recipes RE: the use of fresh ginger, citrus, steeping, long bottling times etc. But as there's so much personal preference I don't know if I'm getting distracted and going off track.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Thanks.

I made this and have had a few, it is lovely and bitey and strong.

"DrSmurto said:

Hi Ben

Here is my most commonly brewed GB.

20L batch

1.25 kg ginger (0.75kg fresh and 0.5kg that has been stored in the fridge for >2 months)

2.5 kg raw sugar

1 cinnamon stick

6 cloves (the spice, not garlic.....)

2 lemons

Champagne yeast

Puree the ginger, skin and all. Chop lemon roughly. Boil everything for 30 mins to 1 hour. Cool. Top up to 20L in fermenter. Pitch yeast (and some nutrient if you have some on hand).

Finishes close to 1.000.

This results in a very dry GB with an ABV of ~7%. I often ater it down with lemonade for some added sweetness as I can't stand the idea of artificial sweeteners, they taste horrible. Without artificial sweeteners you can't make sweet GB in a bottle and in a keg it will still ferment albeit slowly.

Other options include using honey or steeping some crystal malt and boiling the resulting liquid.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Mark"

I used SN9 yeast - which is brilliant.

Wait' date=' what?[/quote']

Haha, just to clear things up, I do love beer, and that used to be all I would drink. I do still have beer regularly, I just like to mix it up with ginger beer, just to cut through. Plus I get massively bloated on beer. So looking for a tasty reliable starting recipe.

I made this and have had a few' date=' it is lovely and bitey and strong.

"DrSmurto said:

Hi Ben

20L batch

1.25 kg ginger (0.75kg fresh and 0.5kg that has been stored in the fridge for >2 months)

2.5 kg raw sugar

1 cinnamon stick

2 lemons

Champagne yeast

Puree the ginger, skin and all. Chop lemon roughly. Boil everything for 30 mins to 1 hour. Cool. Top up to 20L in fermenter. Pitch yeast (and some nutrient if you have some on hand).

Finishes close to 1.000.

This results in a very dry GB with an ABV of ~7%. I often ater it down with lemonade for some added sweetness as I can't stand the idea of artificial sweeteners, they taste horrible. Without artificial sweeteners you can't make sweet GB in a bottle and in a keg it will still ferment albeit slowly.

Other options include using honey or steeping some crystal malt and boiling the resulting liquid.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Mark"

I used SN9 yeast - which is brilliant. [/quote']

Ah, mate, that sounds great, nice and high ABV as well which I was looking for. The one thing I don't understand, and it seems to be a common topic among the ginger beer forums. Where does the Artificial Sweetener come from, I don't see any in the recipe, just the raw sugar? I absolutely agree that they taste horrible!

Thanks for your help.

Wait' date=' what?[/quote']

Haha, just to clear things up, I do love beer, and that used to be all I would drink. I do still have beer regularly, I just like to mix it up with ginger beer, just to cut through. Plus I get massively bloated on beer. So looking for a tasty reliable starting recipe.

Been there and totally understand. But someone had to say it.

Also another noobie question: Does carbonation occur naturally during the bottling or would I still use carbonation drops or something similar?

G'day T4VN3R' date=' once fermentation is completed in a FV the the (beer) then needs to be bottled/kegged and then carbonated, if bottled some (sugar) is added and carbonated by a secondary fermentation or kegged and (force) carbonated via absorption under pressure and over time, this can be short or long depending on methods employed. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers

I think this was discussed in another thread. Haven't tried it but wouldn't pasteurising the bottles after a sufficient time for carbonation and extra sugar give a sweet GB. I too shudder at the thought of sweeteners.

G'day phil2803' date=' I like your thinking, one would need to "experiment" to obtain a result that would be suitable to the individual, keeping good notes on procedures and observations. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers.

I think this was discussed in another thread. Haven't tried it but wouldn't pasteurising the bottles after a sufficient time for carbonation and extra sugar give a sweet GB. I too shudder at the thought of sweeteners.

That's basically how most other home made soft drinks are done (that aren't intended to be alcoholic). All the ingredients are mixed up in a soft drink bottle, yeast pitched, the bottle then sealed, left to become hard, then either heated or refrigerated to stop the yeast fermenting any more. This provides carbonation and the residual sugar provides the sweetness.

• 2 weeks later...
I made this and have had a few' date=' it is lovely and bitey and strong.

"DrSmurto said:

Hi Ben

20L batch

2.5 kg raw sugar

1 cinnamon stick

2 lemons

Champagne yeast

Finishes close to 1.000.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Mark"

I used SN9 yeast - which is brilliant. [/quote']

Hey Ben10, I have just picked up a bunch of ginger & sugar etc. But I have some questions before I start the process:

- After boiling all ingredients above for the hour, do I strain before placing in FV with water?

- Is this to be used in conjunction with a Coopers DIY Ginger Beer Mix?

- What is the purpose of the 2 month old refrigerated ginger?

(I see you quoted the recipe from "DrSmurto", but I'm not sure how to summon a user to my post. If anyone can help out, that'd be great).

Cheers.

I did not strain the first time but I think it is better if you do. The second batch I have put on today I juiced the ginger and binned the leftover.

Not in conjunction.

The older ginger has more bite apparently. Mine was all garden fresh and plenty bitey

I did not strain the first time but I think it is better if you do. The second batch I have put on today I juiced the ginger and binned the leftover.

Not in conjunction.

The older ginger has more bite apparently. Mine was all garden fresh and plenty bitey

That's awesome, thanks so much for your help. I will post up after she's all done.

And just briefly, did you experience any bottle bombs with this recipe? Either just after bottling/second ferment or after placing in fridge?

• 1 year later...
I used SN9 yeast - which is brilliant.

I was planning on making a batch of this ginger beer soon and I may have already answered my own question through a little research but what temperature do you normally ferment this at? The SN9 yeast I found says for best results ferment at 22-26C, I assume that doesn't change if you're brewing a cider/ginger beer as opposed to wine?

Also, at the bottling stage would you just prime the bottles at the same rate you would for beer?

• 4 months later...

Archived