Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time!

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers mate happy I decided to go a little bit fancy rather than use the standard black plastic ones or whatever. I am waiting on a smaller version of the left one to arrive though because at the moment the one that's on there and the Spaten one actually touch each other when the taps are closed. I might remove it when I actually put the keg in tomorrow just to make sure the tap stays closed.

It will be external being 6.8kg size' date=' but not mounted to the fridge as such. It will sit beside it at the rear though. The fridge came with a mounting bracket but I don't think it's big enough to hold that size bottle. [/quote']

Yeah that's a big C02 bottle. I'd suggest the mounting bracket is only for use with the 2.3/2.6kg tanks. I use this smaller size. I've tracked its longevity & get approx. 18-20 kegs worth out of one 2.6kg C02 tank. That includes using it for cleaning purposes/running cleaning fluids through beer lines etc.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yeah, it looks like it would only fit about that size bottle to me too. But, it's no big deal, there is plenty of space beside the fridge to sit the bottle. I only got a big one so I don't have to go and swap it as often, and I do like most of my beers carbonated to the higher end around 2.7-2.8 volumes. I'll be using it to pump cleaner/rinse water through the lines and taps as well.

Well the time is finally here that the first keg is in and gassed up! I haven't poured anything from it yet, but earlier this arvo I transferred it cold from the FV to the keg and used that quick carb method, which worked exactly as it was described to in the AHB thread so I was happy about that.

Anyway, I did get a photo of it pouring water (lol) while rinsing out after running some sodium perc through the line and tap.

11903846_10207880721124516_2334135734167247426_n.jpg?oh=b2381fdbb7e28683b5cb472d1693bdb3&oe=57D519C6

And one of it in the kegerator with the lines all hooked up. It didn't take the kegerator long to chill down either, but I'm glad I transferred the beer straight out of the fridge after CCing.

11880669_10207881200016488_8713425856806259029_n.jpg?oh=5e70cdda255f107d430c69e0c1fe3c20&oe=57CC889C

I will pour a small amount into a glass a bit later on, purely for photography opportunities tongue

Cheers

Kelsey

Looks great mate! Very excited for you. I tapped my first keg in my kegerator last weekend. Never going to look back! I didn't have the budget for a new system did up an old bar fridge. I will have to post some photos of it here just to share. biggrin

Cheers mate! It's definitely exciting and I am glad it is up and running nowbiggrin. I still have a number of bottles to get through though so at least these kegs will get a little conditioning time in there before I get into them properly.

Yeah feel free to post some pics in this thread if you like, I'd definitely be interested to see your set up too. happy

Well, unfortunately I've made the rookie mistake (most likely) of overgassing this keg. I have to have the pressure on the regulator up over 20PSI before it stops pouring foam, which suggests over carbonation. annoyed

The funny thing is, it doesn't seem over carbed when I drink it. It's basically right where I want it actually. Maybe I need a longer beer line? unsure They're a bit over 2m at the moment and I do have the flow control taps which helps. The beer line is 5mm ID. I also have the fridge itself set between -1 and -2C.

I'll probably finish off this keg pretty quickly, and do it properly on the next one. I can't seem to find any calculators for working out dispensing pressure that actually include the length of the beer line in their calculations. pinched

In any case, I have been burping the keg regularly since last night to try to remove some of the excess carbonation, and I have poured a couple of glasses this arvo, which were foam free.

I took this following picture one handed trying to pour a glass so there is more head in the glass than I'd normally pour. tongue But at least it is working. The second picture is more accurate of what I actually poured it like.

I guess the main thing is that it does taste decent, I'm enjoying the flavour of it more than the bottled version, and it's only been in the keg for a day.

11870635_10207888993211313_5423690856173899082_n.jpg?oh=aad99adb87d319e13b642bc9bab1990a&oe=57D0B42A

11242335_10207888583401068_681227606420155048_n.jpg?oh=1073a4288d6f27a7f7f047d4fbcefad9&oe=57D2C8FB

Cheers

Kelsey

Cheers!

Yeah I imagine it does need a bit of working out. I don't really want to have to pour at over 20PSI - for the carb level I want it should be sitting at about half that. I do have most of the previous batch which was bottled still available, so there is plenty of supply to be able to use the set and forget carbonation method on the next keg.

In any case, it's nice to be up and running with it but hopefully the next keg works out better. You live and learn I guess!

Another method I could try is setting the regulator around 45PSI and then just leaving it sit in the fridge for 24 or 48 hours (can't remember which), then turn it down to dispensing pressure and leave it another few days to settle out etc..

Edit: I just went out and turned the gas off, released the pressure in the keg, then turned the gas back on to about 11PSI or so and lo and behold, perfect pour. Must have finally de-gassed it enough.

Edit #2: I'd left it sitting out there with the gas on at 11PSI or so, and went out and poured a small amount into a glass. The first part was foamy as I expected due to warmth but after that passed it was pouring well. I'll pour one tomorrow night after work to make sure and if it's still fine I'll leave it alone to condition longer while I drink the bottled batch.

Congrats on the first kegged beer on the pour Kelsey! happy

Be patient with yourself in regards to carbonation practices & methods. It's just a little bit of trial & error, & something you will quickly learn to master. There are a number of methods open to you when it comes to carbonating the beer with C02 & varying timeframes to achieve the level you are looking for in your beer. Don't worry about the beer line length, it doesn't enter the equation as being anything problematic.

My pouring pressure is always around 10-12psi regardless of what method I adopt to carbonate the beer. Expelling the excess gas & pressure in the head space once you believe your beer to be adequately carbonated is something you will need to do each time, prior to resetting the regulator to the 10-12psi for pouring.

That pressure adjustment is not required though if you carbonate the beer at that pressure of course. The timeframe however will be a lot longer (possibly a week or so unsure). Perhaps ask Scottie about timeframes on that one, as I think he carbonates his beer like this over a longer period.

Good stuff mate. Welcome to Kegland! biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks Lusty! happy

As I eluded to in the edits of my previous post, I believe it has settled itself down now. It was over gassed, but it is pouring fine at around that 10-12PSI setting now, and I'm able to open up the flow control completely with no problem, so that suggests to me that it has been rectified. I was getting bubbles in the beer line last night at that setting, and it was just pouring ice cream, so I decided to de-pressurise the keg a few times, without turning the gas on, and that appears to have solved the problem, which is nice. smile

My plan going forward is to carbonate the beer at serving pressure, and remove the tap handle of whatever tap is out of action so I know not to use it while it's carbonating. I only fast carbed this one because well, it's a new toy.. you know.. rolleyes Unfortunately I didn't tighten the push in fitting on the gas disconnect enough and it was leaking gas; I didn't even need the soapy water - I could hear it hissing. Quick fix with a spanner and it was all good, but as a result when I re-did the carbing I overdid it. Anyway, at least it is sorted now.

Like you say, it's trial and error, much the same as when I was working out my BIAB system. But I think I've got a reasonable idea of what I need to do now at least after a bit of nonsense last night. cool

Cheers

Kelsey

I went to order one of those Digital Homebrew font snakes, and they're out of stock. pinched

At this time of year it's not so bad, but hopefully they get them back in soon because I'll need it in about 2-3 months. At the moment, I'm just using the flow control feature on the taps to dribble the foam out until it pours clear, then opening it up fully. Seems to work alright.

Ahh yes. Have seen those. Whats the distance from cold to font for you? I thought the purpose built kegorators would chill the font.

True to form I tried to DIY one of those snakes. Also true to form it didn't work. I was trying to push air about 1.5m though so it was destined to fail.

Well, the font is mounted directly on the top of the kegerator and is around 300mm high give or take, so I wouldn't have to be moving the air all that far. I'll just push the conduit as far up the font as I can so it blows the cold air out at the top in order for it to sink down through the inside of the font.

All I have to do now is wait for the things to be back in stock again, in the meantime I'll deal with the minor foaming issues, unless of course I can get one of these fans before I really get into the keg properly.

Every time I see this thread I start singing "Keeping Time" to this song.

Haha! lol

That said' date=' posts like this one further stamp the message into my head about making absolutely certain that I NEVER place myself in a position where I am stranded in Penrith! [img']tongue[/img] lol

biggrin

Lusty.

Archived