Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time!

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, 5-7 days in my experience. I do this with kegs at the back, as they usually aren't first in line to be poured. Ones at the front get the quick version on high pressure for a day. Can't be arsed with the rocking method, although if I ever did need one carbed in a couple of hours I'd use it.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:04 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

Ok so what pressure should I put it on to have a beer in the next day or so?

Hey Capt, I'm watching this thread and soaking up the info.

I decided to start up via kegging, yet still bottling some for stockpile. 

having said that still  been cleaning kegs, lines etc today !  less work than washing bottles mind you but hooked on the drinking part

4 hours ago, Guvna said:

Hey Capt, I'm watching this thread and soaking up the info.

I decided to start up via kegging, yet still bottling some for stockpile. 

having said that still  been cleaning kegs, lines etc today !  less work than washing bottles mind you but hooked on the drinking part

I was really surprised when I first racked the beer into the keg, I was like, is that it..... why haven’t I been doing this for 18 months

51 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

is that it.

So pretty underwhelming then?

Sounds a bit like racking to a secondary for bulk priming to then fill bottles......  Except without the bulk prime, without washing bottles, without sanitising bottles, without waiting for the bottles to drip dry, without filling the bottles, without capping the bottles, without storing the bottles, without waiting at least two weeks for them to carbonate, without having to wash the bottles as they are opened. 😭

Sounds like I should be saving my penny's to get into this kegging caper.  Then again, if you kegging-types want your beer so easy, why don't you just buy a slab of craft beer from the shops?😁

For anyone getting into kegs I ordered a couple second hand kegs from keg king, if i had my time over id buy new kegs, the posts are pretty dodgy i may have to replace them, a few little differences and defects between each keg, got seal replacement kit, should have just bought new to begin with not to say you wont get lucky but why take the risk and end up with more hassles. all in all pretty shit condition, weld repair on one. Got them soaking now and will test for leaks, fingers crossed. 

I bought ball locks for $50 each, may be a better route to buy the pin lock kegs for $30 and replace the posts with new ball lock posts with the money saved.

That's why I went with all new kegs when I set mine up, didn't want to be faffing around replacing shit before I even started using any of it. Having said that, I got mine from Craftbrewer and I would imagine their reconditioned second hand kegs would be in a like new condition so I could have saved a bit of money, but at the time it wasn't a concern.

Archived