Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time!

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that feeling well. When I started I couldn't wait to get the first batch on tap. I actually bought kegs and CO2 gear first, so I could at least fill one before the rest of it was set up, then all I had to do was pop it in the fridge and carbonate it. That first proper pour was pretty much all I needed to decide I was never bottling again, at least not full batches. 

I just hope it turns up by next Wednesday otherwise I’ll be bottling another batch.

I bought a spare keg last week, if the kegerator doesn’t come in I’ll rack into the keg and get the LHBS to purge with co2 for me. Least then it’ll be safe to store till I get the fridge here.

then there’ll be two batches brewed on Wednesday/Thursday for kegging the following fortnight ready for when the lads appear come Xmas.

Use soapy water or something that will bubble on all fittings, that should find the leak. I guess it could be anywhere between the gas bottle and the disconnects. 

I started with those t pieces although the push in variety, and while they never leaked it was a pain in the arse. I much prefer the manifold with the three separate lines coming into the kegs inside, it's much neater. I suppose I could have set up the t pieces like a manifold inside and made it neater but the line lengths weren't right for it.

If you use soapy water or even starsan you'll find the leak straight away. That's how I found the leak in my manifold when I first got it. I could hear gas coming out but wasn't sure where from til I put the water on it.

I haven't had any issues with the push in fittings themselves leaking, though when I first set it up I noticed that hand tightening of them to the disconnects wasn't enough, it was leaking through the thread (audible, no water etc. needed there) - they needed tightening with a spanner. As long as the lines are 8mm OD they'll seal well. 

I also have noticed that the spare gas disconnect I have on the 4th line leaks if it's moved a bit, it's a cheap no name brand one. The keg king ones inside on the kegs have been fine though.

I'm sure you'll find it, at the end of the day it will be a fitting somewhere whether it's the things I've mentioned or the keg posts, or even the regulator itself. 

Archived