Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time!

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, porschemad911 said:

Kelsey, cappers are available everywhere, and yet it has taken you months to get hold of one?

No real need for one when I can adjust batch sizes to suit kegs. I blend surplus of 25 litre ale batches and just brew 21 litre lagers so there's no wastage. I'll probably look into getting a capper when we move though. 

hello fellow keggers, 

I did a boo boo, 
left a keg hooked up while i was away for 2 weeks and now my co2 tank is empty and also the keg is completely flat. I can only assume that the leak is somewhere between my manifold and the keg, or even the keg itself. if it was a leak before my manifold, then i would expect only the tank to be empty, and not the keg as well.

But the real question is, is it worth hooking up the keg to co2 all over again once finding the source of the leak of course, and gassing it back up, or have i lost it ? 
Will the beer be ok?
I'm guessing its done for and expecting to tip it.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, Smitdog88 said:

if it was a leak before my manifold, then i would expect only the tank to be empty, and not the keg as well.

Not necessarily. If it emptied your CO2 tank completely and nothing was moved or disconnected then once there was no more pressure coming from the CO2 cylinder, the pressure in the keg would simply move back up the line and escape through the same leak, although I am aware that the manifolds have check valves so that may prevent the keg from de-gassing. You will have to find it though, otherwise you're just gonna keep having the same issue and it'll cost you a mint in CO2 refills. If you haven't done anything to the manifold, my bet would be that's where the leak is. They are notorious for it because the manufacturers use shitty sealant that doesn't always work very well. Mine had a leak when I first got it so I sealed up every threaded part on the thing with silicone. Haven't had a problem since.

One method which is probably easiest is having individual mini regulators on each gas line. Another is using a manifold and simply turning off the gas to individual kegs at various times which is obviously a bit of a pain.

It's not something I've worried about much because all my beers except stouts are nice on the same carb level. However, with stouts I've noticed that even on the same gas pressure as the other beers, they don't carbonate as much (probably due to the higher FG), so I don't have to do anything different which is awesome. 

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

One method which is probably easiest is having individual mini regulators on each gas line.

Like these ?

kl02172_-_in_line_regulator.png  

"These regulators work great for reducing your mains pressure from 0-159psi. The maximum inlet pressure is 150psi. "
Screwdriver adjusted.   Very cheap.  I have seen them as low as $4.50 (and similar for $10)   Don't ask me if they are any good though.  I am still hitting bottles with hammers.

Sort of but more like these type below. The only problem I can see with a kegerator is fitting it all in one. They're already pretty cramped for space as it is with 3 kegs and all the associated beer and gas line.

Hopefully you can upgrade from those hammer cappers, deadset the worst pieces of shit ever invented 😂😂

1559403826_InlineCO2.jpg.126d56c6cda490082e3640cba1e2c47d.jpg

I use a series of check valves and location for lower carb beers. 

Low tech and all but it works well,  if I'm serving a stout I keep keg at front of fridge so it's 1-2 ° warmer than kegs at back with 2 check valves,  this works without touching the reg so everything else pours perfectly 

i got sick of the KK 4 way manifold leaking, lost 3x 6kg CO2 bottles within 6 months.

On 4 taps 1 for soda water, 1 for lager, 1 for pale, 1 for stout, so a range of pressures.

i got 4x micromatic secondary regulators, work a dream, but just shy of $400 out of the US, my most expensive purchase to date.

Makes plumbing very tidy and manageable.

IMG_6971.thumb.JPG.7aeb0496c89fdbd08015a025ef260d2a.JPG

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

My manifold leaked at the beginning as well, simply sealed all threads with silicone. Much cheaper than $400 and no leaks 😁

I ended up buying one of these (a while back) with the plan to fit it in my keezer, but just haven't gotten around to it yet or the collar. Surely if you pack the threads with thread tape you could eliminate the leaks without the need for silicone?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Not in my experience mate, that's basically what was on them when it was leaking. Thread tape works well with liquid and there is probably gas rated thread tape, but the silicone works or you can use Loctite thread sealant. I just wanted something that would permanently fix the issue, and it did.

Otto,

My experience was not that simple.

First 2 way manifold was fine.

Upgraded to 4 way manifold and had leaking at the threads which i fixed, but still had a leak.

Did submersion test and found 3 of the 4 valves would intermittently leak through the spindle, occuring at both full open and closed.

Niped them up and 2 got worse.

KK did replace the manifold, tested before using it and found 2 more taps leaking, switched taps over to make 1 good manifold, however still somewhat temperamental if hose lent on the valve handle they would leak through the spindle.

Then had one of the plastic gas disconnect leak. Got to the point where you spend more time imagining the next issue than actually enjoying or making beer. Would open the fridge every beer checking for leaks, losing temp, and slowly going nuts.

So 3x6kg CO2 bottles down ($150), so decision was made to go the 'premium route.'

HD food grade hose, stainless disconnects and individual regs is a one of cost is gives me the most versatility to enjoy my beer with no more hassles.

Definitely can get similar results by cheaper means, but it really does give you the ultimate in control, as i change my beer types regularly and now add cider for SWMBO, gets me the most enjoyment.

Now just looking at the flow adjustable liquid disconnects at KL to make it complete.

I had read about issues with those manifolds so I decided against buying one from the start. I have no idea whether mine was made in the same factory as the KK ones but it hasn't had any issues since I fixed the one leak it had. I did lose most of a 6.8kg cylinder as a result but at least it was only one. 

Sucks that you had to go through all that crap though. Can understand why you went that way in the end!

So I called up the supplier in Perth this morning and asked if they had the kegerator set up I wanted, they replied “yeah mate, come on down” no worries I’ll see you in a couple of hours. 

I get up there and gosh darn it....... “no sorry, we won’t have any till Monday”. Nice 4.5 hour round trip for nothing. Well maybe not nothing. Got another 1.2kg hops, some bulk grain, a mill and some 1450 yeast.

Got some Cryohops Cascade to have a play with next brew. Which I’m thinking a Dales Pale. 

My LHBS is running a "how to keg" event on Sat morning so I will going along for a look see,

Free training day. Kegging 101. Saturday 24th November 9am to 1pm. All are welcome. Demonstrating kegging transfers, carbonation temperatures and rates, carbonation rates for different types of drinks, natural verses forced carbonation, rapid carbonation, counter pressure filling and trouble shooting.

They also got a sea container of new kegerators in as well, what was that about a slippery slope🍺

Archived