Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time!

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hairy said:

The forum has many posts asking “should I?” followed up with later posts of “it’s the best decision I have made”.

Yeah I know i should, it’s just making sure that it’ll work for me. 

Its not just the outlay, it’s also running another fridge. 

You have to make the play it smart, pointing out the benefits she will gain. For example less time bottling, more time spent with her. Able to do more jobs around the house etc etc. I only have a 2 tap set up, wish i had gone for the 3. Will concider an upgrade soon.

16 minutes ago, Titan said:

You have to make the play it smart, pointing out the benefits she will gain. For example less time bottling, more time spent with her. Able to do more jobs around the house etc etc. I only have a 2 tap set up, wish i had gone for the 3. Will concider an upgrade soon.

I made that rookie error too. 3 is always better than 2. However it does allow the missus ciders and stuff to be stored in the fridge too. Not to mention the glass holder as well.

43 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Yeah I know i should, it’s just making sure that it’ll work for me. 

Its not just the outlay, it’s also running another fridge. 

Depends on where you have the fridge. Fridges only really cost a lot if you open the buggers and let the cold air out. Mine is out on my covered deck. In summer it works a lot harder than in winter though. 

7 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Depends on where you have the fridge. Fridges only really cost a lot if you open the buggers and let the cold air out. Mine is out on my covered deck. In summer it works a lot harder than in winter though. 

This is true. Another good argument for a kegerator

Our last couple of power bills have been around $250 for the quarter, constantly running three fridges (although the brew fridge is only on about a third of the time), the urn for brewing, water distiller and the usual appliances (oven/stove is gas though). Granted there are only two of us, but it's certainly not over the top. We don't use air conditioning though.

13 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

This is true. Another good argument for a kegerator

The keg king kegorator is fine up to about 40c ambient temp. It can hold my 3c without the compressor going constantly. If there is a really hot day I will bump the temp up to 6 or 7c so I dont burn out the compressor. On a couple of the hot days I just wheeled it in through the sliding doors into the dining area when we had people over.

Had to try some 'Emergency Keg Chilling' today.  Shed beer fridge is pucked and has to go. My latest brew was pouring and tasting good, after carbing nicely at " very cold degrees " then when fridge died it turned to foam.  Tonight I popped it in the esky with as much ice as I could muster and eventualy after  severel S.A. schhoners  285ml , its " just ok"  -  cold but lacking the carb and misbehaving on the pour.  Meanwhile, my new 2 x FV fridge is happy but the bottom shelf brew seems to have stalled after 3 days. TC yeast.

Never a dull moment. 

20181023_194758.jpg

4 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Dont quote me but think the IPA is BRY97 and the innkeepers is Windsor. BRY takes a while to start while the windsor finishes high. It should get through it fine though.

Cheers Greeny, advice appreciated.  top shelf of FV is BRY 97 which took longer to start but is still going. i understand bubbles from airlock mean squat so will take a gravity read tomorrow and see whats going on.  

Now have 2x FV's  /  2 X Co2 bottles and 2 *fridges and only 1 keg.  $hopping time again   lol

relaxing and having a slighty undercarbed poorly poured brew and loving it?

cheers Guv

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

You wont look back mate. 

I’m sure I won’t. Cheers. 

The wife was like, what would I like for Xmas. I said, a kegerator. She replied “what the f**k is that?

I had to explain that a lot of people have these things, and she wondered where all these people live and why has she not befriended these people with actual bars in their homes. 

Shes a bit of a tool. 

Archived