Coopers Community

It's Kegging Time!

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kettle finings are a good idea for any batch, in my experience those alone don't make a clear beer although I did have varying degrees of clarity across different batches before I began using post fermentation finings. 

I used to write them down but having done so many batches it's just habit to use them now.

Yeah i use kettle finings every batch. Lagers i quick chill as well which I find has basically solved any chill haze bar my asian lagers which contain a cereal mash. For whatever reason i still get chill haze there. Post fermentation finings depends on style. I dont for saisons or belgian type beers and sometimes also pale ales or IPAs either. Every lager gets the fining treatment though.

I always use kettle finings but forgot this time. As for the gelatine, I only use it in the lagers. I brewed before going to work which is a bad idea because 1. I feel rushed and forget things and 2. I can’t drink beer. 

Well I can technically drink beer I just can’t get caught with it in my system ha ha ha

My last Baltic Porter has just been kegged. 2 days on D rest and 3 days cold crash. Distinctly different from my first. Clarity is not the same because i forgot my irish moss at the end of the boil. Seems to be sweeter than the last one also but sure this will dissipate when it has some carbonation.

Kegging day here today. Was meant to be yesterday but I got lazy and couldn't be bothered. Pretty standard procedure for a Monday actually.

Anyway, the Victoria's Secret pale ale is going in today, one full 19L keg with the surplus 5L or so going into the 10L keg to be blended with a few litres of brown ale already in there. Will be interesting to see how that blend turns out once the pale ale keg runs out. The 19L keg of brown ale is the other one going in, at the back to be tapped once the pale runs out (I'll drink that until the 10L carbonates then leave it alone until that one is empty too). Being cold crashed obviously the beer will already be cold so I'll stick it on 45psi until tomorrow morning before work, when I'll turn off the gas. I'll burp it around lunch time, then turn the gas back on at serving pressure which should see a nice carbonation level by the time I'm home in the evening. I'm looking forward to tasting it, it tasted and smelt bloody nice from the FV. 

Cheers

Kelsey

• 3 weeks later...

FruitSalad-in-the-hole.jpg

The keg is all gassed up & is sitting on serving pressure now in readiness for the weekend. ☺️

I managed to squeeze out a couple of stubbies & a 640ml PET as well. I also harvested some slurry of the CCA yeast to use on a future brew.

I might even sneak a glass when I arrive home from work tonight, just to make sure everything is OK of course. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, Titan said:

I will keg up my last 2 partials i did 7 days ago tonight. Moving house and would rather transport 2 kegs over 2 FV's. I can just imagine 2 FV's in the back of the removal truck sloshing around. ??

Drink them before you move

I kegged up my Kilowog Krush tonight. It tasted good and smelled amazing, but different from the usual galaxy citra ales I do, due to the Nelson Sauvin. I cannot pin the aroma down but I can pick up the grape and some other fruits. I am expecting it to be a possible "Scottie" beer, we will see.

I had a small thought of harvesting the yeast, but it was covered by the huge dry hop, my fermenter was heavy from them! I have some joystick yeast from imperial that I want to either build up or save the slurry. I dont have a stir plate so I might try the shake method or just use a hop sack.

This beer wont be ready until Monday at the earliest, well carbonated, but I sneak glasses every other day until I think it is ready.

Cheers

Norris

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

I had a small thought of harvesting the yeast, but it was covered by the huge dry hop, my fermenter was heavy from them!

Put 'em in a chux cloth (or baggy of some kind) then you won't have to worry about this problem again. ?

I'm glad the beer appears to have turned out very well. ? I bet Scottie is happy too with the reference linkage.

When you've made a "Scottie" level beer, boy you've got something to brag about kiddo. ?

Maybe we should push to have the BJCP recognise the Scottie "Best Beer Ever" tag & have it inserted above the current highest attainment classification? ?

?

Cheers,

Lusty.

8 hours ago, Beerlust said:

When you've made a "Scottie" level beer, boy you've got something to brag about kiddo. ?

Maybe we should push to have the BJCP recognise the Scottie "Best Beer Ever" tag

I hope Scottie doesnt mind. When I first started brewing again and reading these posts, Scottie's excitement pushed me to make better beers. I couldn't wait to say I made my best beer ever. I think this would be best beer ever number 3 by my count, but we will see in a few days/weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just kegged my Bohemian pilsner, bit of a nothing Sunday with a thunderstorm going on so good a time as any and saves doing it on a work day through the week. Also having the last half a glass I poured prior to finish clearing the tap area of sediment and it's tasting pretty bloody good. I've put it into the kegerator on serving pressure gas but not on a tap so it can continue lagering and carbonate at the same time. It will move to the back of the kegerator once the brown ale is empty and its line and tap cleaned up. Should get another 5-6 weeks lagering before I start properly drinking it. It's pretty clear already so should improve further in that department as well as the flavour. Looking forward to it!

Archived