Coopers Community

OK, What's The Plan For Tomorrow?

Beerlust

Tomorrow.

The wife is back to work officially after 16 months at home with our first child.

Which means I'll be looking after our daughter whom wakes. Frequently.

What a better way to kick off a night on my own than a brew night!

Thinking some type of brown ale. Will report in "Chads brew day"

Oh yeah I'll be sampling one of my "thought I'd stuffed up brews" too, an all malt Mexican cerveza with nearly 100g dry hop.

Cheers,

Peekaboo

I'm doing a brew day tomorrow! Back into the ales now that I have kegs and don't have to worry about them being warm enough to carbonate. tongue And the weather is warming up anyway so fermentation will be fine too.

So, I'm brewing an American pale ale style using Mosaic hops (and a little Magnum for bittering). This is my first try at these hops so I'm just using my standard pale ale "hop experimentation" malt bill on it. I posted the recipe in the brew day thread, but yeah looking forward to a mid week brew day! biggrin

Cheers

Kelsey

Nice idea for a thread Lusty! biggrin

Tomorrow I am getting my hair cut and going to my LHBS to pick up an order of juniper berries and specialty grains. It is the last time I will have to pick up a special order as they are moving to another, much larger shop, in the same plaza, and will start carrying malts on site. They are actually a wine kit store that sold beer making supplies on the side, on a special order basis, from their headquarters in Halifax. This will be Fredericton's first store with malts for brewers on site. Exciting times for homebrewers in Fredericton, New Brunswick! Hopefully their selection will improve too.

Planting my Cascade hop rhizome.

I've got some quality potting mix, the soil is sandy loam and well drained, the location is the west central highlands area of Victoria so the climate should suit and a perfect spot at the base of our water tank stand that is about 6 meters tall where I can run some twine down for it to climb. w00t

I admit I didn't know how this thread would work out, but it's throwing up some interesting stuff that everyone is up to. cool

Earlier before work today, I went & bought some ingredients for a brew I'll probably put down on Sunday.

I generally don't name my beers, but this one is getting one. It shall be named, "Grapefruit Overload". wink

But sticking with the theme of the thread, tomorrow/today, I'll be kegging a nice 5 hop pale ale that used some aromatic malt & wheat malt that I haven't used in some time with my brewing.

I've been looking forward to this brew, so fast force carbing it can pretty much be assured. I'll be gulping at least one down before the day is out! biggrin

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Plan to bottle my American Brown Ale (I knocked-off the Ol Brown Dog recipe and made it better and into an extract recipe).

Then depending on what Sunday turns out to be, I may brew-up my Orange & Lemon Pale Ale concoction/recipe.

Somewhere in between all this I'll be working and drinking dark home-made beers (I hope).

Cheers,

Pete

Bottling a SWPA clone that just smells and tastes awesome then putting down a Threecan RIS for next year and using the new FV I just picked up off gumtree to do the Darth Weiser. I'll also be taste testing my first Toucan. And possibly spending some time with the wife and kids....

Tomorrow: going to intermittently stare with great longing at my unfinished brewery upgrade project while I split my time between finishing off a few Uni assignments, spending time with my brewing assistant (child #1), and helping my wife take care of my newly-hired junior brewing assistant (child #2, born 2 1/2 weeks ago).

+1. Well done, Gibbo. I hope you've already written out your list of 100 reasons why you can't look after the baby. Just tick off each one after you use it; wives get a bit suspicious if you use the same one twice.

And BrownOne, you could have at least had a shower and a shave, and combed your hair before you made an appearance on the forum today. I can't believe how much the standards are dropping here.

And Gibbo, I'm pretty good at doing Uni assignments etc if you want. I passed the Southern Qld Police Service Management course for a friend many years ago. And it only cost him a slab for each assignment (that we polished off together as they written). Then he had some (joke) business cards made up with his motto: Often charged, Never convicted!

I know this doesn't count as tomorrow yet but on Tuesday I plan to ...

Oh what! That's pushing the thread a bit! Where's a moderator when you need one!?! biggrin Kegging time's coming nearer and nearer!

I just realized I've got a bye for bball tomorrow night, but I'd better be sensible and start preparing for my job interview on Friday instead of brewing something.

On Wednesday I'll bottle my Oktoberfest. I think I'll save some of the Wyeast 2206 slurry from that just in case I feel like brewing a lager with the Bestmalz Red X malt I have on the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the day off tomorrow, so will get around to kegging a beer I should have kegged last Sunday, but I was (shall we say) a little under the weather on that day due to enjoying myself just a little bit too much on the Saturday. whistling

The extra days it has been cold conditioning, will have actually helped.

If I get that done early enough, I'll brew up another experimental extract/partial APA in the afternoon. I'd really like to get this done, as that would allow me to push ahead with this beastly Galaxy/Ella Kolsch I've got planned to brew this coming Sunday. Now that brew, I'm almost wetting my pants in anticipation about!! lol

I don't know what the most heavily hopped Kolsch beer is, but I'm gonna give this one a nudge! biggrin

Good times ahead. happy

Lusty.

Tomorrow I'll be pitching the yeast into the last of my Bohemian pilsners, well, last for now anyway. Going to do a couple of ale batches before I do another one, so I can get the kegs filled quicker. So after all that it'll be 2 kegs of Bo Pils, one keg of Mosaic pale ale and one keg of whatever I brew on Saturday. lol

Plan of attack for tomorrow is to keg my Chinook & Riwaka Pale Ale where I used the Mangrove Jacks M44 yeast for the first time. Very interested to see how this has turned out.

Then onto a fairly lengthy extract/partial brew day making a Galaxy & Ella hopped Kolsch.

Busy day ahead.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 3 weeks later...

After almost 3 weeks in the FV, tomorrow I'll likely keg my Galaxy/Ella Kolsch. It's been cold conditioning since Monday, & has progressed well. It smells awesome, so I'm really excited about getting it on the pour & into a glass for drinking.

Excited.jpeg

I'm almost as excited as Big Kev, that I might even keg it later today, time permitting. biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the weather has warmed up fast, and I haven't been able to brew for the last few weeks. So I think I have missed my chance for the year to brew the Kolsch and Alt I had planned and bought ingredients for.

However, all is not lost! I have moved up the Kumquat Hefeweizen and Dunkelweizen I was planning to do a bit later. So, I've got the recipes sorted and will be heading off to the LHBS tomorrow to grab a couple of kg of Joe White wheat malt and some White Labs yeast. Combining this with the pils / wheat / munich malt I bought for the Kolsch and Alt plus the kumquats in the freezer will hopefully turn out nicely!

The recipes I'm planning (both targeting a 10.5 litre volume into the fermenter) are as follows ...

Kumquat Hefeweizen

1250g wheat malt (1000g Joe White and 250g Best Malz)

750g Best Malz pils malt

250g Best Malz munich malt

13g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (2.9%AA) @FWH

White Labs WLP300

400g thawed kumquats in hop sacks

I'll be aiming for a 1.049 OG and 12 IBUs.

Dunkelweizen

1250g wheat malt (1000g Joe White and 250g Best Malz)

750g Best Malz munich malt

250g Best Malz pils malt

125g Weyermann Caramunich II

50g Joe White chocolate malt

18g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (2.9%AA) @FWH

White Labs WLP300

I'll be aiming for a 1.053 OG and 15 IBUs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I was a little lazy for a few weeks & didn't brew. I wasn't well, & just needed a break. After that short hiatus I brewed an almost all-grain light beer brew for my Father & bottled that yesterday before work. After that brew, I stupidly late pitched a brew that ended up having to be tipped due to infection.

End result as of tonight = two empty kegs! Doh! pinched

I have a remake of the infected recipe brew in a fermenter that is still a week away from kegging, but luckily I always bottle a few from each batch & have a good stockpile of bottled beer to see me through. biggrin

Anyways, I have a RDO tomorrow so will clean the two kegs & associated beer lines in readiness. Also will use the time to put down another brew. I have the current Coopers DIY ROTM Kolsch on it's way, so have decided to put down a darker amber malted Pale Ale so to have a couple of diverse beers on the pour at the same time. A combination of PoR, Mt. Hood, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Simcoe, & Ahtanum. I'll post the full recipe tomorrow. Should be a beauty! cool

Good times ahead. happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

Empty kegs suck, even more so when they're the result of an infected brew not even making it into one. pinched

Sounds like a good day for you tomorrow mate! I need to (completely) clean my urn one day this week as I have a brew day happening on Saturday, might do it tomorrow since I have a shorter than normal break between my two halves at work. It was largely cleaned after the last brew day but just a bit of a touch up scrub is needed to complete it. Nothing major. Maybe I will have time for a nap. lol

Empty kegs suck' date=' even more so when they're the result of an infected brew not even making it into one. [img']pinched[/img]

Sounds like a good day for you tomorrow mate! I need to (completely) clean my urn one day this week as I have a brew day happening on Saturday, might do it tomorrow since I have a shorter than normal break between my two halves at work. It was largely cleaned after the last brew day but just a bit of a touch up scrub is needed to complete it. Nothing major. Maybe I will have time for a nap. lol

lol

You crack me up since you've moved to kegging!

Was my own fault with the infected brew, live & learn from that. The re-brew of that Midstrength Nirvana brew has fermented very well so I'm happy about that. Will take a gravity sample tomorrow & probably add the dry hops to it as well. Yeah was reading your post about the rusty stainless steel brush. I bought a set of steak knives a while back that said they were stainless steel too.....pigs arse they were & man I was p|$$ed off! The rust didn't surface right away with them, that's why I couldn't/didn't take them back. pouty

Ripping day weather-wise here tomorrow. 28°C. I might even lash out & buy a six pack of craft beers if I get through the brew day early enough.

Enjoy your 'Nanna Nap' if you can squeeze it in! wink

Cheers,

Lusty.