Coopers Community

OK, What's The Plan For Tomorrow?

Beerlust

Not sure why there was meant to be anything attached to that post - I"m sure you've all seen empty beer containers before.....

Yeah I reckon an empty keg looks similar to a full one on the outside.

My plan for tomorrow is to continue on the keezer project that I started last week.

Acquired a Kelvinator chest freezer free that accommodates a 50 litre keg perfectly.

Even still has enough room inside for the co2 bottle,have constructed a collar and am waiting for stc 1000 to arrive from the Chinese ebay man.

If the weathers good I'll be out in the garden building some garden beds to plant a few hops. If the weather is crap, I've got a brown ale to keg and ingredients for a Dr Smurto to put on the grainfather.

After a three-month break from brewing, while I toured Tasmania, it's back into the fray tomorrow. I plan to brew a Stone and Wood Pacific Ale clone, having spotted a couple of good looking recipes on this forum. It will be an all extract brew as most of my gear is still packed away after moving towns.

I'm looking forward to getting back into brewing and have missed it more than I thought.

Cheers

What's your recipe mate? I'm going to tweak my recipe next time because Galaxy late hopping + no chill did NOT work for me in my last brew.

I'm still deciding between these two... (and I just copied and pasted these from the same thread)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Stone and Wood clone I did is likely to be the top contender. My best pale ale to date. It's an extract recipe and I used Galaxy throughout for bittering' date=' flavour and aroma. I did my research and concluded that long boil may add a harsh bitterness from other people's reports. This is my final recipe if anyone is keen to brew it. Very much like a S&W PA, perhaps even fruitier, esp at the start! After about 4 weeks it mellowed out, but you could tell immediately you were drinking a Galaxy hopped beer as it was a passionfruit bomb. Yummy

1 x tin of Cooper's light LME

1 x tin of Cooper's wheat LME

300g dextrose

9L boil using two thirds of a tin of LME

Galaxy 10g @ 40m

Galaxy 15g @ 15m

Galaxy 15g @ 5m

Galaxy 15g @ 0m

Added remaining ingredients to pot during steep to sterilise them. Topped up to 23L in the FV

Mangrove Jack's M10 workhorse + 7g Coopers ale yeast, rehydrated at 30C

Galaxy 20g dry hop 4 days before bottling or cold crashing

If I were to brew this again using extract… maybe I would use more malt instead of dextrose. I didn't find the yeast combination to be a high attenuator, so the dex probably helped in creating that drier finish. If i were to omit the dex, I would use a drier finishing yeast."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Anyway, I decided to make a clone of it, and I've just cracked my first one and I'll be buggered if I haven't nailed it. So I've come to share it all with you. If you are after a summerly quaffable ale, this is for you!!

1x can Coopers liquid light malt

1kg dry wheat malt

300grams dex

5L hop boil with 500grams of the wheat malt

5g Galaxy @ 30 mins

15g galaxy @ 15 mins

15g galaxy @ 5 mins

15g galaxy @ 0 mins

US05 yeast

Made to 23 litres.

Also 15 grams galaxy dry hopped on day 4-5.

I'd for someone to give it a go and report back… I sourced all my ingredients from Beer Belly."

Using IanH's spreadsheet, I found that to get the IBU to 18, which is apparently what the commercial S & W brew is, I could either:

[list']

drop 10 minutes from the boil and add 5g (15g for 30mins) from the first recipe, or

• add 10g at the start and follow the second recipe.

I think that the 1st recipe would be too bitter as is, and the second recipe would not be bitter enough. Otherwise there isn't much difference between them. I am curious about the yeast, though. I've been using US-05 as my go to yeast, but I'm considering trying to harvest some yeast from the commercial brew and make a starter from it (too late to do this for tomorrow's batch, but maybe a later batch?) I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has used the Mangrove Jacks Workhorse Yeast for this clone, to see how it went.

Cheers

Hi away. The first recipe is one of my posts and it was a good beer, but not a clone of stone and wood. Definitely more bitter.

The second recipe will gwt you closer. I am underwhelmed by the pacific ale these days... That's what a hop addiction does to your palate.

5g bittering is plenty at 30min.

I personally would up the dry hop on that second recipe.

OR if you feeling brave, follow Beerlusts lead and do not add a classic bittering addition. Add hops from 15min and that's where ALL of your bittering comes from.

Galaxy (14.2%AA) 24gms @ 15mins to hit 18-19IBU

Galaxy 40-50gms post boil steeped @ 75-80°C for 20-30mins

Galaxy 2½-3gms per litre dry hopped.

American ale yeast & ferment @ 17-18°C.

What size boil and are you chilling the wort immediately? Second time.around I did a full volume boil, no chill cube and the late hops spent too long at isomerisation temps. That cubed brew was too bitter, too harsh and it overwhelmed any malt flavour or late hops.

Use US -05 for the yeast. You won't find Workhorse as it is discontinued from Mangrove Jacks range. It isn't critical to the flavour of this final beer, so use US -05 or Mangrove Jacks M44 West Coast Ale yrast

Hi away. The first recipe is one of my posts and it was a good beer' date=' but not a clone of stone and wood...

What size boil and are you chilling the wort immediately? Second time.around I did a full volume boil, no chill cube and the late hops spent too long at isomerisation temps. That cubed brew was too bitter, too harsh and it overwhelmed any malt flavour or late hops.

[/quote']

I was going to do a 6 litre boil and will be chilling to pitching temperature straight away. Thanks for the info regarding Lusty's all-late addition hops. I may even give that a go!

Cheers

said like a true bus driver Kelsey!

It must be infuriating some days dealing with the clowns on the road

Buses are great for mowing down clowns! They don't even dent! And the makeup wipes straight off! tongue

biggrin

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

It can be jools, although most of the time their stupidity doesn't directly affect me, I just watch them and wonder what the hell they use for brains. I've seen a few recently change into a lane that ends 100m down the road... are they blind? lol

Yes the buses are good for mowing down clowns Lusty, however I prefer to scare the crap out of them with the horn instead.. tongue

Cheers

Kelsey

• 1 month later...

Well the plan for tomorrow was originally the plan for today but I was a little slack & thought WTH let's do it tomorrow! lol

A little belated, but I went to the trouble of making a 2 litre starter from some stored Coopers commercial Ale yeast on this one that is up & going nicely right now, so will serve me well when pitched tomorrow. happy

Using a new hop on this one. Bought some Enigma hops a few weeks ago based purely on their smell that I thought was awesome & somewhat like Nelson Sauvin that is one of my favourite hops. I don't want a hop bomb this time, just something a little cleaner & balanced to get a feel for the hop.

Briess CBW Pilsen Light LME 1.5kg

Coopers Dry Malt extract 500gms

Ale Malt grain 500gms

Wheat Malt grain 250gms

Weyermann Dark Wheat Malt grain 100gms

CaraPils grain 200gms

Fortnight 10gms @ 60mins

Enigma 10gms @ 15mins

Enigma 20gms @ flameout

Enigma 25gms dry hopped

CCA yeast from 2 litre starter

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 19-20°C

EBC = 6.1

IBU = 26.1

Kegged ABV = 4.5%

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

My plan for tomorrow is to give the keg fridge a quick wipe out and wipe over, dismantle the font fixtures etc. and basically get it all ready to be moved into our new place on Saturday. In terms of brewing equipment, it just needs to be moved across as none is being used currently other than the kegerator, but I'll do that during the week on a work break as I don't need it straight away or a truck to move it. Hopefully will get a brew day happening next weekend, will have to make a trip to CB for some Saaz and also a couple of other things.

Good to see this old thread up and running again!

My 25kg sack of Glafdfield Pilsner malt has arrived at my LHBS. I'll pay for it and get them to mill 4.2kg of it + 60g of melanoidin malt. I'm planning a partial mash (more like mostial) with this grain bill + a leftover 1.5kg can of Briess Munich malt. The recipe is the Dortmunder Export from "Brewing Classic Styles".

If I get home at a good time and the kids are cooperating, I will but the mash down in the early arvo whilst my youngest has a nap. Would be nice to have at least one cube filled so I can keep the FVs in rotation after I bottle the two APAs currently cold crashing. I'm going to have to give away some beer!

Planning to brew a Deliberate Pale Ale (DPA) on Sunday. This will be an attempt to replicate my Accidental Mosaic Pale Ale. The outcome could prove me to be a very ordinary brewer.

I am off to Town now to get my brewing supplies for this recipe, which really is a good move because it is as bleak as an English Marsh Land here in the Valley of Love today. I can't control the weather in my plan, if it is like this tomorrow then brew day will have to wait until next weekend.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

mount 2 more taps on my kegorator , 4 taps should ensure variety to keep me happy love

must buy more kegs as i now have nowhere to put more beer without breaking out the bottles !

Have a batch of coopers pale / sparkling ale that i think will be better in bottles anyway but then won't be ready in time for local comps ...meh ! think i'll just drink and share that one to all my other coopers drinking friends .

If i'm feeling energetic i'll get a batch of Rye IPA down using Moutere , citra and cascade with a solid dry hop with cascade flowers left over from the home made hop back on way to cube

• 4 months later...

Hey Lusty & Co

I am planning a Riwaka Session Ale. Loving this "style" and its drinkability. Looking fro 65 IBU according to BeerSmith and 3.5% ABV and Loads of Riwaka late in the kettle.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Plan for tomorrow is cleaning up my smoker if I don't get to it today, and that's about it. Got two kegs (ESB and Bo Pils) in the kegerator which just finished their high pressure gassing and will sit until tonight when I release remaining pressure, hook them up at serving pressure and leave them there until Monday. There's also a keg of soda water for those who want cordial instead of beer or wine. Should probably top that up tomorrow too so it doesn't run out. Today I'm cleaning out the urn and going to try to get the beer taps dismantled and cleaned as well. They're likely due for it.

• 1 month later...

Two very hot days today & tomorrow here in Adelaide. Both in the 40's. Am working today in the heat. pinched

I won't feel like a long hot brew day mashing grains & long boiling so a simple kit, grain steep & short boil is the go. happy

I've got a very heavily hopped pale ale I'm drinking atm, & with the heat I wouldn't mind something a little lighter as something a bit more sessionable. So have decided to brew a midstrength in the same vein as the "Mid-Strength Nirvana" beers I brewed a little while back that were terrific!

I can't use the Sparkling Ale kit anymore for the base as the bitterness was upped in the last remake of the Thomas Coopers kits, so the AUS Pale Ale kit will slot in it's place with a short boil.

Coopers AUS Pale Ale kit 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt extract 500gms

CaraBohemian grain 150gms

Dextrose 50gms

Nelson Sauvin 20gms @ 5mins

Galaxy 20gms @ flameout

Bravo 20gms @ flameout

Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy, & Columbus 30gms each dry hopped

Kit yeast (rehydrated)

Brewed to 21 litres

OG = approx. 1.037

FG = approx. 1.009

EBC = 13.5

IBU = 33.5

Kegged ABV = approx. 3.6%

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• 1 year later...

Brew day tomorrow. Something pretty spesh on a few levels for me.

Christina's SFWH Pale Ale:

Briess Pilsen Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg
Coopers Light Dry Malt extract 1kg
CaraRed/CaraMalt grain 300gms (steeped)
Dextrose 150gms
Cascade 60gms @ SFWH30
Cascade 100gms dry hopped
White Labs WLP001 California Ale (direct pitched)
OG = approx. 1.046
FG = approx. 1.011
EBC = approx. 10.3
IBU = approx. 46.5
Kegged ABV = approx. 4.6%
Brewed to 21 litres
Ferment @ 18°C

The "SFWH" stands for Short First Wort Hopped. This is a concept ChristinaS1 (a current forum member) posted an idea about & how it might be a positive way of improving on the traditional FWH technique. I immediately loved the idea & approach of this method & it is about time I brewed a beer following the methodology as a follow-on to the FWH'd beers I believe make for a better hoppy beer all-round. The beer certainly deserves to be named in her honour. She's a very clever & intuitive little buggar at times. 😎

I decided to avoid a mash with pure grain this time given the boil time this shorter FWH approach uses.

I'm excited, nervous, & anxious about what this shortened FWH technique & mix could potentially produce in a final beer. I admit it's new territory for me & is a little hard to know what levels to factor in. I'm a little undecided on the amount to use for the SFWH addition. Choosing 50 or 60gms could make the difference given the expected FG. I went on the high-side of course. 😁

The first brewing of this will give me a lot of info to move forward with even if it isn't perfect balance-wise 'off the bat' first time out. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 2

Well, my tomorrow is boring compared to Lusty's ... mine will be to check the SG on the BeerLao clone that was at 1020 today, day 7,  I ramped the temp from 12 to 18 where it will stay until it is stable ... this is the 1st malt rice extra beer I have done and if the test taste i did today is an indication i am on a winner ...   

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 3

Hopefully bottle my Pilsner tomorrow night if I get a chance.

SWMBO has flown over the ditch for a funeral for the week leaving me at home to be a 'working Dad'. Time poor, and to top it off we have a real estate inspection on Monday so I'm busy getting the house and yard tidy.. Lucky I have a great employer who is letting me work school hours this week 🏆

BTW, good luck with the brew Lusty

Cheers, Lee

• Like 1