Coopers Community

OK, What's The Plan For Tomorrow?

Beerlust

lol It's a sad feeling when you go to pour a glass and all you get is foam and CO2 coming out.

I guess it was with the infected brew but then again those are never a good thing regardless of kegging or bottling!

Yeah, that was a little annoying to say the least. It didn't dirty the urn but I'm obviously now reluctant to use it to clean the element during brew days. Last brew day it didn't appear rusty so I used it, but since then it has. I have ordered two more off eBay from Smith and Arrow that claim to be stainless wire so I'll see how one of them goes. They'll be here for the brew day after Saturday's one, unfortunately. Might have to go back to using the plastic mash paddle to scrape the element for this brew day. At least it's only a pale ale so the element won't be as caked as when I do pilsners. The rusty one I got from Bunnings and have no idea now whether it claimed to be stainless or not but obviously, it isn't. pinched

Been getting a few storms up here lately, least it's been good for the grass. lol (I'm also one of those clowns who keeps a manicured lawn).

The 'nanna naps' certainly come in handy on broken shifts, in any case it's a good excuse for me to lie down and listen to music or whatever for a while during the day. tongue

lol It's a sad feeling when you go to pour a glass and all you get is foam and CO2 coming out.

I've been meaning to ask you' date=' how's your pouring going from the keg of late. Anything bothering you? [img']unsure[/img]

Yeah' date=' that was a little annoying to say the least. It didn't dirty the urn but I'm obviously now reluctant to use it to clean the element during brew days. Last brew day it didn't appear rusty so I used it, but since then it has....They'll be here for the brew day after Saturday's one, unfortunately. Might have to go back to using the plastic mash paddle to scrape the element for this brew day. At least it's only a pale ale so the element won't be as caked as when I do pilsners. The rusty one I got from Bunnings and have no idea now whether it claimed to be stainless or not but obviously, it isn't. [img']pinched[/img]

Pay me out all you like, but any chance of soaking your current brush in a solution specifically designed to deal with removing rust etc. something like "Tarn-Off" or an equivalent at Bunnings? unsure

Then obviously rinse it/sanitise it just prior to using it on the element.

Been getting a few storms up here lately' date=' least it's been good for the grass. [img']lol[/img] (I'm also one of those clowns who keeps a manicured lawn).

This, a number of us here on the forum already know. biggrin Some pics soon I hope!

Potentially a Les Burdett in the making? tongue

The ‘nanna naps’ certainly come in handy on broken shifts' date='...[/quote']

Especially when you sit up to all hours chatting on brewing forums! tonguelol

Cheers & good brewing my friend,

Lusty.

I've been meaning to ask you' date=' how's your pouring going from the keg of late. Anything bothering you? [img']unsure[/img]

They're going well now that the system has settled down. I still get a little foam at the beginning due to the setup and it being outside, but the flow control on the taps helps alleviate this issue. Unfortunately the font fan does struggle a little now the weather has warmed up - although once the sun goes down it works a treat.

Pay me out all you like' date=' but any chance of soaking your current brush in a solution specifically designed to deal with removing rust etc. something like “Tarn-Off” or an equivalent at Bunnings? [img']unsure[/img]

Then obviously rinse it/sanitise it just prior to using it on the element.

Not a bad idea - I will have to visit Bunnings this week to get pots and mix for my hop rhizomes that have apparently been delivered but I don't have them yet (stupid Aus Post!) so I can have a look for a rust remover while I'm there.

This' date=' a number of us here on the forum already know. [img']biggrin[/img] Some pics soon I hope!

Potentially a Les Burdett in the making? tongue

I'm actually qualified as a greenkeeper so it wouldn't be too far out of this world to do cricket pitches. I might as well, the backyard is all clay soil! lol Probably be another month or so before it comes back nicely though, just did a mini-renovation on it last week so it's still looking a bit crappy while it recovers.

Especially when you sit up to all hours chatting on brewing forums! tonguelol

Indeed. lol Given the shorter break today I might just leave the urn cleaning until tomorrow' date=' as per the thread title. [img']tongue[/img]

Cheers

Kelsey

• 5 months later...

Brew day set down for tomorrow.

I've got a bit of a clean-up brew planned to finish off some grain & hop bits & pieces.

Coopers Light Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt extract 500gms

Pilsner Malt grain 500gms

Munich Malt grain 300gms

Light Crystal grain 200gms

CaraHell 200gms

Dextrose 150gms

Pride of Ringwood 10gms @ 60mins

Mt. Hood 15gms @ 60mins

Centennial 10gms @ 15mins

Chinook 10gms @ 5mins

Cascade 25gms @ flameout

Mosaic 25gms @ flameout

Centennial 20gms dry hopped

Motueka 25gms dry hopped

2 x AC+L kit yeast

Ferment @ 18°C

Brewed to 23 litres

Am going to try some of that Gladfield Toffee Malt in my Fursty Ferret clone recipe, & might try the Wyeast 1335 on the brew while I'm at it. Some CaraBohemian & maybe a few new hops are also on the cards for use in my Pale Ales.

Good times ahead. joyful

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Good brewing day today. Bottled Brew 2, an ale. FG was stable for about 3 days and I really wanted to start some hopped IPA recipes. Was very interesting seeing a very clear fluid layer at the top of the FV with the fluid very still. Being my second bottling, was a little more fluid with the process and starsan helped a lot.

Cleaned 2 milk crates of glass longnecks, with 4 of them to go. Pretty grimy and gross, but bought all 6 milk crates cheap off Gumtree. Much prefer bottling/pouring/opening/drinking from glass than PET, and wanted to put about half of the ale into glass.

Cleaned the FV after bottling, and dried it out in some good Canberra sunshine !

Have bought a 2nd FV, and did my first ever boil (can extract and fermentable) with a hop addition (35g of Cascade). What an amazing smell ! I was using Craigtube's Hoppy IPA recipe, although I strained the hops rather than adding them to the FV. Compared to the basic K&K, that hit of hops is amazing. Even the SG hydrometer tube tasted good and I am glad I didn't add the hops to the FV.

Was hoping to get another brew on into the 2nd FV today, however I used all my pre-chilled water and 2 large ice bricks I had ready in brew 1 to get the wort from boil down to 22C to pitch the yeast.

Patience is definitely an important part of home brewing, and being flexible when plans change. No big deal to refill all my water bottles for fridge chilling and freeze some water overnight. Planning on another hopped IPA tomorrow. Good times.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the day off work tomorrow, & have to work the whole weekend this week, so if I'm gonna squeeze a brew day in it's tomorrow. Pavarotti Pale Ale it is. biggrin

Can't wait to get this in a glass down the track. Very, very different than any Pale Ale I've made to date. A lot of unknowns that make it pretty exciting for a brewer like me & the way I approach things. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Tomorrow afternoon, I'm brewing up the EB Porter from King Ruddy's Utube vid. Then once it's down I'm working on the Fermentation fridge, a stand for the base of it to hold the weight of the FV and then wiring up the STC1000. Have to leave for a week for work, so want to have two FVs brewing to come home to (one already has a K&K Mex Cerveza) with half to be bottled with a slice of Jalapeno.

Have 2 IPA cans and a Devils Ruby porter can on the shelves. Hmmm....

• 3 months later...

Hi guys.

I have a day off work tomorrow so time to get another brew down. Have some new hop varieties in the fridge atm I haven't tried as yet, so a Pale Ale brew is begging. biggrin

Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 750gms

Gladfield (NZ) Ale Malt grain 500gms

Aromatic Malt grain 200gms

CaraMunich III grain 250gms

Wheat Malt grain 150gms

Mt. Hood (5.7%AA) 20gms @ 60mins

Cascade (6.7%AA) 20gms @ 25mins

El Dorado (12.0%AA) 10gms @ 10mins

El Dorado 20gms @ 5mins

Cascade 20gms 80°C hop tea (steeped)

El Dorado 30gms dry hopped

US-05 rehydrated + kit yeast

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.052

FG = approx. 1.014

EBC = 16.4 IBU = 35.7

Kegged ABV = approx. 4.9%

I'm looking forward to seeing what the El Dorado hop throws. The hop has terrific oil content, so I don't feel a hop bomb is absolutely necessary. Given it's descriptors lean toward stone fruit, Cascade should make a nice partner for it. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Heya Kelsey. smile

I have 3 days off next week (well actually 5 days including the actual weekend)' date=' so I have 3 brew days planned from Wed-Fri to get some cubes filled. Will post again on Tuesday before the first brew day. [img']biggrin[/img]

Busy boy! tongue

This new GF of mine is screwing with my brewing big time, but admittedly there has been some sort of positive trade off. biggrinlol

My inability to brew at the previous regular intervals has hurt the hip pocket a little, but Coopers have been the main beneficiary out of all this turmoil lol so I suppose it ain't all bad. wink

Cheers & good brewing my friend,

Lusty.

lol I haven't had that issue yet, still managing to keep a batch fermenting at all times. I suppose there is a lot of sitting around doing nothing in AG brew days though, so I'm more often hanging with her than doing anything with the brew itself. The idea of these three brew days though is to free up more weekends so we can do other stuff, and then maybe just do a double brew weekend every 5 or 6 weeks to keep the supply up.

So I guess I've got the best of both worlds biggrin

my " Tomorrow " includes turning a "found" CUB keg into a keggle , also found a Coopers one but didn't want to to hurt a local so i unfound it bandit

otherwise the list has many things to do

brew a decent Kolsch , warmer weather will be coming

run another side by side with coopers CCA Vs US-05 ( last one turned out 2 very tasty beers , drinking one of the last now )

try to save a few of the smashing stout i brewed a while back for next winter ....

otherwise personal goals are find a GF who'll put up with my brewing , brew more and drink less

Hiya Markoman.

If you can, take a few pics along the way with your conversion of the keg into a keggle. There are many across a few forums here in AUS that would appreciate it, including me. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

My inability to brew at the previous regular intervals has hurt the hip pocket a little' date=' but Coopers have been the main beneficiary out of all this turmoil [img']lol[/img] so I suppose it ain't all bad. wink

Can't go wrong really! Have you tried some of the 2016 ESVA yet?

My inability to brew at the previous regular intervals has hurt the hip pocket a little' date=' but Coopers have been the main beneficiary out of all this turmoil [img']lol[/img] so I suppose it ain't all bad. wink

Can't go wrong really! Have you tried some of the 2016 ESVA yet?

Indeed. happy

Pretty bloody nice & goes down easy... a little too easy as is my usual experience with this commercial beer! cool

Edit: If Coopers put the same amount of development time into their recent IPA as they do their ESVA, they'd have TWO highly successful seasonal beers EACH year. rightful

Cheers,

Lusty.

Agreed, the ESVA is so smooth and drinkable. And I consider it great value compared to other craft beer, eg Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is $84 a case at Dan Murphy's. For $3 more the ESVA walks all over it, just no contest.

If Coopers make a full time IPA, I wish they would do it in the 1800's English style, but with an Aussie twist. Sort of like their ESVA is an Old Ale but with a ton of late hops. 100% Aussie pale ale malt, no crystal malt, no dark malts for colour, nice and dry with an OG that hits about 7% ABV, bittered to about 75 IBUs and with a ton of Aussie Cascade, Galaxy, Ella, Topaz, Vic Secret, Enigma etc late / dry hopped. Now that would be a seriously awesome beer!

100% Aussie pale ale malt' date=' no crystal malt, no dark malts for colour, nice and dry with an OG that hits about 7% ABV, bittered to about 75 IBUs and with a ton of Aussie Cascade, Galaxy, Ella, Topaz, Vic Secret, Enigma etc late / dry hopped. Now that would be a seriously awesome beer![/quote'] You should brew that yourself and see how it turns out! biggrin

I've just bottled a Hoegaarden clone, and have a raspberry saison chilling in the fridge for bottling on the weekend. My other FV has a Belgian Tripel that has only been fermenting for a few days, kicked off on Sunday which was Belgium's national day. I made it with candi that I cooked up a while ago, hope it works out as planned!

• 6 months later...

Hi guys.

For my 150th brew, I thought I might have a crack at making something resembling what I remember the original Knappstein Enterprise lager used to taste like before one of the megaswill breweries got hold of it & ruined it. The current beer on the market under this guise is nothing like the original (IMHO). annoyed

The original beer was more like a ballsy ale than a traditional lager. I remember a citrusy backbone with good malt flavour & that wonderful Nelson Sauvin aroma that at the time, no-one had seen in a commercial beer here in AUS (TTBOMK).

Anyways I went & picked up the last of the ingredients I need for the brew earlier today, & will likely put this together this Sunday or Monday once the heat drops off here in Adelaide.

Briess Pilsen Light Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt extract 600gms

Weyermanns Ale Malt grain 750gms

Weyermanns Dark Wheat malt grain 250gms

Gladfield Supernova (medium crystal) malt grain 200gms

CaraPils 150gms

Cascade 30gms @ 30mins

Nelson Sauvin 5gms @ 20mins

Nelson Sauvin 20-25gms @ flameout

Nelson Sauvin 30gms dry hopped

Wyeast 2000 Budvar strain (added to a 2ltr starter)

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 10°C

OG = approx. 1.053

FG = ?

EBC = 13.9

IBU = 27.5

Kegged ABV = approx. 5.0%

I might even use some post fermentation finings on this one to make it look pretty. tongue

I'd be interested in peoples views on this one.

Cheers,

Lusty.