Coopers Community

Be kind to cyclists

King Ruddager

I'm just going to say that if you guys want to use the roads that motor vehicles use then start paying registration and start obeying the road rules like every other vehicle does. We have to pay registration on machinery too unload it off the truck and move it into someone's property or to drive a bobcat across the road to load a truck with soil. Why do the cyclists not have to pay yet they expect to be given the same decencies as those that do?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd imagine it's because they're not motor vehicles. I don't agree with charging cyclists registration. If I was a parent I would be none too pleased about having to fork out some ridiculous amount of money just in case my kid rode on the street a bit, or crossed the road at some point. What's next? Might as well charge registration on skateboards while we're at it, or roller blades as well. Charging people themselves registration to cross the street or go for a walk down the road? There's gotta be a line somewhere.

I do agree about making them accountable when they break road rules though. I often see them completely ignore them, and it does annoy me, but having said that I often see cars, trucks, whatever else completely ignore them too, so the cyclists aren't really that much worse. They do appear to do it more often though.

I'm just going to say that if you guys want to use the roads that motor vehicles use then start paying registration and start obeying the road rules like every other vehicle does. We have to pay registration on machinery too unload it off the truck and move it into someone's property or to drive a bobcat across the road to load a truck with soil. Why do the cyclists not have to pay yet they expect to be given the same decencies as those that do?

See everyone' date=' this is the kind of crap I have to defend myself against day-to-day. Our friend James doesn't think he is obliged to treat me with decency because I don't pay registration. The fact that I'm not required to register by bike doesn't matter to him - he still thinks it's ok to mistreat cyclists because they don't pay for their right. He also thinks that all cyclists always break the law while every other road user strictly obeys them.

Honestly I don't even know where to begin. On the one hand I have many, many, MANY arguments for why cycling should be encouraged, why it is good for both the individual and society as a whole, how registration doesn't affect compliance, why some people unfairly [i']perceive[/i] cyclists badly, and much more, all of which is backed up with multiple studies and evidence. On the other hand though we have James, and he has an attitude, backed up by a handful of anecdotes and reinforced though a combination of confirmation bias and the affect heuristic .... and for some reason that baffles me a lot of very loud, very angry people agree with him!!

The reason I titled this thread "Be kind to cyclists" was a subtle reminder that we are people too. Yet out of all the things I've ever done, cycling is the only activity for which I cop abuse for nothing more than simply being there. I enjoy cycling, I am allowed to go cycling and for the vast, vast majority of time I am doing the right thing (as it is with driving - and don't forget that we all drive cars too so we know what it's like from both sides) but I constantly find myself ridiculed, marginalised and treated like I'm part of some kind of second-class, lunatic fringe society that somehow deserves this mis-treatment by idiots who put my life at risk to save themselves seconds getting to the next red light. Because of this it's hard not to be defensive when people make unfair, sweeping generalisations such as James's above.

So, James, perhaps you ought to adjust your attitude.

If I had to pay registration then I would. It's not a user-pays system though, and I think that if it was then the reality of how heavily subsidised owning and driving a private car is might see you considering riding a bike too.

I do agree about making them accountable when they break road rules though. I often see them completely ignore them' date=' and it does annoy me, but having said that I often see cars, trucks, whatever else completely ignore them too, so the cyclists aren't really that much worse. They do appear to do it more often though.[/quote']

The word "appear" is key here. And cyclists are accountable - haven't you ever seen one stopped by police? They do the same thing as they do with motorists - pull them over and have a chat. It's only fixed cameras that can't catch us, but then again I've never seen a cyclist going fast enough past one to get caught speeding and I've never seen one set off a red-light camera either. I've seen motorists do both on multiple occasions ... which baffles me because there's warning signs and everything!

On the subject of cyclists paying registration -

I ride a bike occasionally. I also have 2 cars & a trailer therefore I pay my share of registration.

Unfortunately living in the country I don't have access to public transport to get to work hence the need for the second car.

In a previous life I worked in the city & rode the 7kms to work, usually passing the bus I used to travel on. I was run off the road twice by buses & hit by a car at an intersection by a guy that ran a red light (I had a green light, that is how far past the green light he was!) so I have had first hand experience with traffic.

I think a bit of respect for other people on the roads wouldn't go astray, so you have my support King.

I didn't realise that the coopers home brewing forum had been turned into a cycling forum.....

But seeing as it has here's my 2 cents.

#1. The other day i was driving home from work, after dark, when at a T intersection where i was turning left, here was a cyclist, on the wrong side of the road, no helmet, no lights (after sunset lights are required). Total moron.

#1A. Another time when i'm driving home; 100km/h zone, narrow road, on a corner i met a cyclist, on a black bike, wearing all black lycra, with a black helmet, no lights. Guess what colour the road was. Yes, Black. Why would anyone do that? I used to ride a bright yellow motorbike, with a bright yellow helmet and i would still wear a high vis vest over my leathers too.

#2. Airbus A380's do not fly in the same airspace or land at the same airfields as Cessna 172's, so why the hell are cyclists and B-doubles sharing the same patch of bitumen. It's lunacy.

#3. The road I work on, has hundreds of trucks a day on it, it's barely wide enough for those said trucks, has no sealed shoulders and yet i've seen school bike groups on it. Sure, they're technically legally allowed to be there, but where's the common sense? No way in hell would i ever let my child ride on that road. It'd also be a cold day in hell before i ride that road!

Now don't get me wrong, i think bikes are great. They're the most energy efficient form of transport mankind has ever invented and more people should be riding rather than polluting the environment with their cars, but there needs to be separate bike tracks for everyones safety.

The word "appear" is key here. And cyclists are accountable - haven't you ever seen one stopped by police?

Actually' date=' no, in all honesty, I have never seen a cyclist being pulled up by a cop for breaking a road rule.

Speeding is another one of those things that gives me the shits. Agreed cyclists would struggle to get to those speeds, but I see motorists all the time doing far more dangerous things on the road than going a couple of clicks over the limit.

It only reinforces my viewpoint, that the police should be worrying more about drivers who are actually doing stupid things that risk the safety of themselves or others, than revenue raising off someone doing 61 in a 60 zone. [img']innocent[/img]

NO BS Ruddy, but you guys flaunt danger in an area of life that in many cases 'only angels fear to tread'. People with far more common sense would never dare to ride in the conditions & situations you guys care to place yourselves in, & expect a certain higher level of notice-ability & care-ability by motorists around you as you die-hard cyclists apparently do.

You guys seem to want the world to change & revolve around you. Let me tell you something, the roads across this country to this current day are bitumised & laid for the movement of motorized vehicles. Yet those who choose to cycle themselves around these same paths believe they have some overwhelming right of passage above what the roads are currently designed to carry!

WTFU I say!!

The best chance for reduction of cyclist injuries on our roads is to first have a pure cycling lane throughout ALL our roads.

The following site link I have provided comprises a HUGE member base, & once petitions are started, if the wider audience believes in what is being asked for, they will sign these petitions (on mass) & then they are forwarded to our politicians & groups responsible for dealing with the related problems. I've seen some remarkable things happen as a result of my involvement with this organisation. cool

A fantastic organisation that does speak for & represent all of us to the higher powers, & I would strongly recommend everyone check them out & hopefully join.

Especially you Ruddy.

https://www.change.org/

Cheers,

Lusty.

NO BS Ruddy' date=' but you guys flaunt danger in an area of life that in many cases 'only angels fear to tread'. People with far more common sense would never dare to ride in the conditions & situations you guys care to place yourselves in, & expect a certain higher level of notice-ability & care-ability by motorists around you as you die-hard cyclists apparently do.[/quote']

Cyclists actually have a longer life expectancy. If people didn't feel afraid we'd have a much happier, healthier society.

You guys seem to want the world to change & revolve around you. Let me tell you something' date=' the roads across this country to this current day are bitumised & laid for the movement of motorized vehicles. Yet those who choose to cycle themselves around these same paths believe they have some overwhelming right of passage above what the roads are [u']currently[/u] designed to carry!

I said "be kind to cyclists" - sorry for asking too much.

WTFU I say!!

Interesting position to take' date=' given that cars kill about a thousand people every year in Australia. Perhaps the people piloting these two-tonne killing machines ought to be the ones to "wake up" and realise that, although they feel safe inside their metal bubble of oblivion, they actually have a responsibility to use it wisely and safely because they are the ones putting others in danger.

The best chance for reduction of cyclist injuries on our roads is to first have a pure cycling lane throughout ALL our roads.

I agree with the sentiment' date=' but the practicality of implementing something like that is pretty much zero.[/quote']

This.

So in the meantime, please just be kind to cyclists. There's no reason that cycling shouldn't be safe, and most of what it comes down to is being aware and a little more careful when you've got the lives of everyone around you in your hands.

Disclaimer: I'm deliberately taking an idealistic high-road here for the sake of the argument. While I believe in everything I say, it doesn't mean I'm an idiot, and I certainly don't put myself in any unnecessary danger for the sake of proving a point!!

• 2 weeks later...
We're people too.

Yesterday I got caught out in the rain riding up the hill on the way home and

. There's no reason that I shouldn't be able to feel safe on the roads.

Wow close call - how thrilling. Around where I live is very popular with cyclists and they often come up in considerably large numbers which to a point that which I can understand how it can infuriate the (local) motorists (except me see below).

However put in perspective - cyclists don't bother me. Infact I would prefer to be waiting on a cyclists than be tail gated by some moron - particulary when I'm already over the speed limit (so what's their excuse?).

That all said my motorbike is gathering dust. Too dangerous - moronic driving appears all too real witnessed on 2 wheels..don't know how you do it actually?

For the thrill? wink

I like it!

I ride to work myself, lucky enough to have a pretty safe commute, most of which through the Lane Cove national park in Sydney.

Really really dodgy about these parasitic and mentally challenged halfwits who are putting the tacks and oil down.

I like it!

Me too' date=' [i']but [/i]...

... the problem with the message "don't be a wanker" (much like "share the road") is that everybody thinks it applies to everyone else before themselves. Some people (on both sides of the fence) might as well be saying "get out of my space" when they say "share the road".

Anyway, still a really cool video.

• 2 months later...

You can't cross double lines though.

Providing a "meter" to overtake a cyclist is impractical for alot of roads and particularly that road in the video. However I'm sure a motorcyclist won't have any issues.

The issue that people seem to overlook is whether the road is use for:

Recreational purposes.

or

Practical purposes.

E.g.

Can it be considered that the cyclists who drive up to the Dandenongs and then proceed to cycle through it for recreational purposes are going to clash with those that use it for practical purposes?

A what point upon critical mass of the former and the correlation of increased probability of serious injury or death is something going to be done about it at a legislative level?

Why Biking Injuries and Deaths Are Spiking In the US

I'm all for practical and even recreational use of roads (who doesn't like a day trip?). But when it comes to where I live (dandenongs, yarra ranges) - There is no practical way to increase the width of the road to accomodate a bike lane.

Whether you like it or not. Modern roads are built and maintained to accomodate usage of vehicles that can maintain the speed limit as a minimum.

Driving a registered vehicle under the speed limit can get you fined if deemed dangerous or causes a major interuption to traffic flow.

As for me personally? I'd give the guy a meter.

I've just read this whole thread and my 2¢ are:

My biggest beef with cyclists is that, upon approaching them from behind, I'm never sure of their gender until well after i've been looking at the lycra-wrapped saddle bits. It can produce many mixed emotions and an reasonable amount of guilt. Just saying.... bandit

Also, in terms of everyone respecting everyone on the road: I think there's something in

for everyone....

• 2 weeks later...

Best. Invention. Ever.

Basically it's a warning light that cyclists can trigger a they ride past. One of the biggest complaints is about encountering cyclists around a blind corner, and I think it's the shock of having to suddenly (if you're going to fast) slow down results in an emotional response that boils over into anger and frustration. If you're pre-warned then there's no shock and the situation becomes less stressful to deal with.

So, when can we have them?

Seriously, on that website I saw a massive UNHCR - DONATE NOW banner and realise was in the realm void of rational thought.

(Don't get me started on UNHCR!!!)

It's not a case of cyclists verses BAD people in cars.

IT IS ABOUT:

1) "Those that can maintain the speed limit" vs "Those that can't"

2) "Those that utilise roads for recreational purposes (which includes fitness!)" vs "Those that use roads for practical purposes."

But I already covered that and every post of mine here goes ignored and thus unchallenged. Because these are the fundamentals.

Social exceptions and privileges granted to those that insist that they some how deserve disproportionate rights compared to everyone else due righteous belief or - but more often that not - a superiority complex idealogy at it's foundation.

I speak my mind and haven't even cracked a beer yet - such is they way of public forums.

Peace.biggrin

Yes, but cyclists can maintain the speed limit if they pedal fast enough.

What annoys me is the situation I observed a couple of weeks ago. 80km/h zone main road, two traffic lanes each way and a 2m (maybe more) wide shoulder on the side with nothing parked in it. And here we have a cyclist riding his bike along right on the edge line that marks the shoulder probably going about 30 tops. Absolute f-tard. Not saying they're all like that of course, but seriously you'd have to be as thick as two short planks to do that. What the hell is wrong with the rest of the 2 metre wide section of bitumen?? And then they wonder why they have close calls. annoyed

I don't disagree with the 1m clearance laws, but it's gotta work both ways when it can... if they have space to move out of the way of traffic and help a bit by giving themselves some clearance from the traffic then they should do so, instead of adopting this self righteous BS mentality and staying out in the way of everyone else.

I'm not sure exactly what the solution is, but I'm sure the problem is self righteousness from both cyclists & motorists.

As with so many similar problems, the minority make it a problem for the majority, as once you encounter some selfish idiot, it taints your view of those from that group.

Surely wider shoulders on all roads would be of some use, providing refuge for cyclists from drivers that don't want to share the road, as well as more cycle pathways, shared cycle/walkways, & greater awareness of cyclists by motorists.

A big contributing factor to this problem is that politicians almost always side with motorists, as they see cyclists as recreational road users, when there are quite a lot of people who are using bikes as their primary or sole method of transport, including to and from work, as well as trips to the shops etc.

There has to be a balance, & it has to be made safer for cyclists, who are obviously more likely to be injured or killed in a collision with a car, truck, bus, or other vehicle.

Surely now that fines have increased for illegal parking in disabled parking spaces (In NSW the current fine exceeds $500, even for standing the vehicle in a disabled space without permit whilst the driver is in the car), & now includes the issuing of a demerit point, something similar could be done to penalize drivers who intimidate & endanger cyclists, & let them know it is serious, not just a trivial inconvenience?

So I guess there needs to be a holistic solution, rather than tampering around the edges, more cycle paths, greater awareness of cyclists, more bike lanes on roads (&/or wider shoulders), heavier penalties for those that endanger or intimidate cyclists, & for some cyclists, not all, greater awareness of their own need to take care of their own safety, after all, you can't always anticipate what other road users will do, & you can only really know what you're doing.

For those more politically minded, there is a Cyclists Party, which a friend of mine, who I grew up with is a member of.

This may be of interest to some, such as KR. https://australian-cyclists-party.org/

IT IS ABOUT:

1) "Those that can maintain the speed limit" vs "Those that can't"

2) "Those that utilise roads for recreational purposes (which includes fitness!)" vs "Those that use roads for practical purposes."

I know you're not anti-cyclist' date=' but I assume you're referring to cyclists as those using the road for recreation and who can't maintain the speed limit.

So, tonight is Friday, which means I have to ride the long and [i']far[/i] more difficult way home. Why? Well, where I live in the Adelaide hills young hoons often gather on Fridays to (recreationally) drive at high speed along the route I would otherwise use (practiacally) to get home safely.

Monday morning I'll ride down the hill again to get to work, but I'll no doubt find myself caught behind traffic that can't go as fast around the corners (ie. not holding the speed limit as well). Strangely enough, nobody has ever moved over to let me pass ... go figure.

The problem with throwing "vs." into the conversation is that it puts one group above another. Everyone has equal right to the road. I ride, I drive, I walk and I know people that drive trucks and motorbikes and scooters and all sorts. None of us should have any more or less right depending on what mode we are using - it's about everyone using the road together and not flipping out because somebody else holds you up momentarily. I've known a few people who have died on the roads and I think everyone mostly needs to calm down and stop being so complacent about safety.

Archived