Coopers Community

Be kind to cyclists

King Ruddager

What the hell is wrong with the rest of the 2 metre wide section of bitumen??

You'd be surprised. Obviously I don't know the stretch you're talking about, but they're often very rough and full of debris, so if you don't want to be repairing punctures every time you ride then it's often best to stay away from shoulders. I usually ride in the left tyre "groove" and move onto the shoulder when someone is coming up behind (on a country road scenario) and even in that short distance I've picked up a puncture!

Also, it's technically illegal to drive or ride on the shoulder, and people get really mad when they see a cyclist break the law.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As with so many similar problems' date=' the minority make it a problem for the majority, as once you encounter some selfish idiot, it taints your view of those from that group.[/quote']

Just on this ... there's a different reaction depending on whether you're part of the group or not. Social identity theory talks about "in-groups" and "out-groups", and the way it applies on the roads is that if you see somebody in a group that you're a part of breaking the law or being stupid then you dismiss them as the exception to the rule, but if you're a motorist who never cycles and you see a cyclist break the law (I'm only using this as it's the most common and relevant example) then it affirms your belief that all cyclists are law-breakers, and there's no amount of good cycling behaviour you can witness to change your mind.

G'day, just a general question or two to the forum, is the speed limit the speed you must travel at or is that the maximum speed in that zone? unsure

Can you travel slower than the limit, legally? unsure

Is there a minimum speed variation within the limit in your jurisdiction? unsure

I'm curious ?

Cheers.

What the hell is wrong with the rest of the 2 metre wide section of bitumen??

You'd be surprised. Obviously I don't know the stretch you're talking about' date=' but they're often very rough and full of debris, so if you don't want to be repairing punctures every time you ride then it's often best to stay away from shoulders. I usually ride in the left tyre "groove" and move onto the shoulder when someone is coming up behind (on a country road scenario) and even in that short distance I've picked up a puncture!

Also, it's technically illegal to drive or ride on the shoulder, and people get really mad when they see a cyclist break the law.[/quote']

So even when a stretch of road has a bike lane built into it, you don't position yourself safely in the middle of it for fear of a puncture? That's OK, I can understand how being killed might take on a secondary level of importance behind getting a puncture! w00t

I just find that mind boggling. pinched

Is there a minimum speed variation within the limit in your jurisdiction?
There must be' date=' because I had a friend who once received a ticket for driving at a speed deemed too slow for that zone. Sorry I can't remember what speed he said he was doing, but it was an 80kmh zone.

Lusty.[/size']

So even when a stretch of road has a bike lane built into it' date=' you don't position yourself safely in the middle of it for fear of a puncture? That's OK, I can understand how being killed might take on a secondary level of importance behind getting a puncture! [img']w00t[/img]

That's an oversimplification - all sorts of roads have all sorts of conditions which is why I started by saying I didn't know the road Otto was talking about before offering a reason that a cyclist might not use the shoulder.

Bike lanes are quite often dangerous though, especially those which place you within the "door zone".

A speed limit is nothing more than the maximum safe speed you're allowed to travel along a stretch of roadway decided by whoever decides these things, and something which I personally believe has far too much emphasis placed on it when talking about road safety compared to other actions that are often a lot more risky and dangerous than travelling a click or two over the limit. But I guess it's good revenue raising.

There is a minimum speed you must drive though. You can be fined for driving more than 10 or 15 km/h (can't remember which) under the speed limit because it DOES create a hazard in normal conditions. Obviously if weather conditions are terrible or whatever then everyone drives slowly but that's different, like a couple of weeks ago when we were all going literally about 5km/h on the freeway in horizontal rain because you could barely see a few metres ahead.

I don't know about SA, but in QLD it is not illegal to ride a pushbike on the shoulder of a road (most of them are bike lanes anyway), or the footpath either. That particular stretch I was referring to does have a pretty decent surface over the whole shoulder too. I wouldn't expect him to ride in the gravel off the road surface but there was no need for him to be right on the edge line either - especially on a road that is a major truck route.

There is another road near my house that has bike lanes on it, but in its infinite wisdom about 15 years ago the council decided to build the kerb almost out to the edge of the bike lane around the corners of the side streets. It's bloody ridiculous because it makes the bike lane about a foot wide at those points, and also makes it more difficult for cars to turn left from the side streets. No idea who came up with that idea but they ought to be shot.

I must be in a minority of my own because I don't discriminate with my annoyance at road users breaking laws, whatever vehicle they're travelling in. Perhaps it's because I have driven as a job for the past 8 years, and seen a million motorists breaking laws every day, that it's almost as if the ones who DON'T break the law are the exception. Taxis are the worst for it. They really do think they're a law unto themselves.

I'm a keen cyclist myself. I'm all too familiar with the close pass but I have to say that after living and riding in Michigan for several years where many people are armed and drive cars appropriately called Suburbans, riding on the road in Sydney is far more frightening. People (generally) are so god damned aggressive! I don't blame drivers though, our lives are so complex and stressful in a city environment that we don't realise how it effects our mentality until it's too late. Couple that with the fact that cars are increasingly being manufactured with an emphasis on a greater sense of detachment from the world round you. Blind spot detection, sound deadening, decreased road feel for the sake of comfort, parking assist, electronic stability control, emergency brake assist etc etc. All great innovations but each little one inevitably makes drivers a little less tuned in and fosters a false sense of individual security.

I'm not blaming anyone, I've seen psychotic cyclists and drivers, the roads are a dangerous place for everyone.

I'm sure if everybody took a little more care on the roads we could probably halve the road toll.

Anyway that's my 2c.

Cheers

I think this thread is pretty much done and dusted, but It's pretty clear from all the opinions that there are a lot of people out there that have a real problem with cyclists.

I can somewhat understand this as when I'm in a car cyclists often irritate me, being free to wind around me at lights, forcing me to look at their arses and making me ponder whether they've shaved that too, going through red lights* etc, but when I'm cycling 9k to work and back 2-3 times a week through Sydney CBD I am very often shocked with disbelief by the frequency and amount of people that are willing to endanger my life. I've had a few occasions where I have been astonished and quite saddened by how anyone could be so aggressive and intimidating to someone so vulnerable.

One occasion was a lady driving a 4wd so close to my back wheel when I was cycling at close to the 30 speed limit that I could virtually touch her bonnet, she repeatedly and aggressively hounded me along a 2k stretch of road. It was incredibly scary, intimidating and I was convinced I was going to end up under the front of that car.

Now I'm not exactly proud of how I reacted but I must admit I did get a buzz out of booting the side panel of her door and denting it as she pulled alongside me. (I finally lost it at the lights when she pulled alongside me with a smirk on her face).

Anyway I could go on and on about this topic and I think it's all pretty much been said, but in a nutshell Kings topic header says it all really, please just be kind to cyclists! We're not trying to be all high and mighty but we do deserve a tiny amount of credit for getting off our arses and trying not to pollute, cause more traffic jams and be a bit healthier in the process, and if not that please just be a little bit more aware of how vulnerable we can be out there.

Cheers Jay

*arguably helping the traffic flow a bit by not holding up the car traffic behind caused by cyclists accelerating slowly when the lights turn green. Which is more annoying!?

This thread probably is done and dusted but I'm gnna have my whinge anyway lol

My issue is with the lycra parade mini-peloton that rides on one of the main roads here on the Sunshine Coast everyday. The road is the Nicklin way that runs from Caloundra to just before Mooloolaba. The speed limit is 70km/h, 2 lanes in each direction with a shoulder (that is in just as good, if not better, condition as the road surface) almost another 2 lanes width wide (this provides side of road parking and plenty of room for entering/exiting the road around parked vehicles). The road is also one of the busiest morning traffic routes with 3-4 schools on the road as well as many workplaces/shopping centres.

Every morning without fail groups of 20-30 riders ride in both directions - at this time there is usually minimal car traffic and hardly any cars parked on the side of the road leaving plenty of space for the riders. Yet they insist on riding three abreast with the middle rider on the inside of the white line and inside rider completely in the left had lane. They could completely fit on the shoulder and maybe at times have to ride 2 abreast is there are parked vehicles, but they don't, and then get startled and outraged when someone passes too close to them. It's hard to follow the law and leave a meter when there is a concrete median strip and a truck in the right hand lane, you simply cannot leave enough room to comfortably pass the cyclist who is riding in your lane.

The reason for the rant was yesterday I witnessed a car trying to exit this road using a designated left turning lane - the motorist indicated into the lane correctly and had right of way to turn yet the entire group of cyclists who could see the vehicles intentions refused to slow down/ride around the outside of the car in the empty lane and instead road past blocking the vehicles movement. Pure insanity.

This happens all the time here and it's a shame because it appears that this is the attitude and behaviour of the majority of bike riders on the Sunshine Coast.

For the record I ride my bike a fair bit too, not as a commuter but for fitness/ride to the pub lol, and here on the Sunshine Coast you can get most places quicker and safer by not using the main roads or by not using roads at all and utilising the numerous designated riding paths.

End Rant.

• 2 months later...

Absolutely ridiculous.

This from the same Police force that are calling for zero tolerance for one punch attacks.

I fail to see the difference - whether justified or not - between a cop pushing a cyclist off his bike & some mug punching someone outside a night club or pub in Kings Cross!

If the cyclist had fallen on his head that could have been the end of him, & that's much more serious than failing to wear a helmet.

If the guy wasn't wearing a helmet & ran a red light, fine give him a ticket, give him a fine, lock him up if you must, but violence is never justified, & the police should be setting an example, not going around clocking cyclists.

The cop should be suspended pending an investigation.

While I do like the idea of cycling I really don't like it when cyclists ride in 110 zones. The speed difference is too great. Especially the road I take to work as its a narrow road and has road trains with 3 trailers on it regularly. Also open letter to the person that wears camo coloured clothing; how the f*** is anyone ment to see you against the scrub. And to the person who wears black; you look like the f****** road. Please wear something else.

I think that city centers should only allow self driving cars and bikes in the future.

With the Tour Down Under happening around SA this week, are there any brewers throwing a leg over the bike & participating? The Bupa Challenge ride is this Friday?

King Ruddager, are you heading for Victor?

Don't know if Hairy has breached our state borders! coolcrying

With the Tour Down Under happening around SA this week' date=' are there any brewers throwing a leg over the bike & participating? The Bupa Challenge ride is this Friday?

King Ruddager, are you heading for Victor?

Don't know if Hairy has breached our state borders! [img']cool[/img]crying

I don't do much riding these days, just recreational rides with the kids.

Plus it is too hot in SA. Although the National Homebrew Conference is in Adelaide this year so I could be tempted to attend that.

I'm always kind to cyclists !! Had 4 rather attractive Lycra clad mobile speedbumps in front of my truck and left them plenty of room ....missed them all on purpose !

In my own little world where common sense rules I tend to give everyone the room they safely need to just keep moving , all I ask is same in return .

If you're driving a Toyota pious and won't do more than 65 on a motorway , you're a tool .....

If you drive a big truck and don't let someone past ....you're a tool

If you ride a bike and want to ride 3 or 4 abreast then I get a dent and you get dead ( p.s. and you're a tool )

Can't speak for everyone but I learned to drive in the bush , taught by coppers and driving /riding to the conditions and a little bit of mutual respect will go a long bloody way .

Give cyclists the room they need to stay upright , give cars the room they need to just get on with it and give trucks right of weight and just stay away from road trains ....those things are just scary !

Sorry but IMHP there was no place on that narrow winding road for a cyclist in rainy poor light conditions. It's all about hazard identification and risk control, the level of risk you were prepaired to accept on that evening was rediculous and very unfair to all the other road users.

I came across an amusing one at work today, some bloke dawdling along the road at literally 3 or 4 km/h. Unfortunately the road was too narrow to pass him in a bus thanks to the council's stupid obsession with putting f#$%&n traffic islands that serve absolutely no purpose everywhere, but the island ended soon after and I moved around him. He must have just been off in his own little world, oblivious to anything around him. lol

Tour Down Under is underway over here in SA, & excluding the professional athletes, there is always a "Wannabe lycra brigade" that is everywhere during the tour.

Good thing I fitted that new bull-bar on the car last weekend, & that bulletproof glass windshield has been an absolute godsend as an investment since the tour started here in SA! tongue

Man did I trash last years bull-bar! It looked like I'd hit a hundred roos with it when I finally binned it! whistling

Just kidding. lolwink

Lusty.

Archived