Coopers Community

'Home-brewed morphine' made possible

headmaster

I saw that report too.

Usual scaremongering by the media by the looks of it. The yeast labs we get our yeast from don't supply genetically engineered yeast like that, and there's this from another report:

The process described in the study is inefficient, requiring 300 litres of genetically engineered yeast to produce a single 30 milligram dose of morphine.

G'day, please don't miss the real point, this inefficient process now will soon get much more efficient and "Big Pharmaceutical" will then be able to cut out the "difficult farmer" and increase profit. rolleyes

This is again the Capitalist machine marching forward to the sound of "cash registers" (historical reference) !bandit

We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control but we do need our mass produced opiates (soma, Brave New World)....whistling

Cheers. smile

I'm not gonna get into a debate about so-called "big pharma". Without these companies and the scientists coming up with the drugs, my dad would have been dead about 30 years ago and I probably would never have known him. I would imagine the same would go for a lot of other people as well. So, they'll cut out the farmer, but have to employ someone else to grow these cultures which would probably actually cost them more in the long term than buying poppies from farmers does.

It's evolution of science and discovery and it has been happening since humans have been around. If we keep this attitude against new developments just because a company might make a bit of a profit from it we will never progress forward.

As a general comment, advances in science are usually a good thing & benefit man in the long run. Let's be honest, where would many of us be without many of these new discoveries?

My only problem with a discovery like this, in this area, is what those who have power, influence, money, & a network plan to do with this new found knowledge to exploit individuals.

Unfortunately the history of mankind tells a common story on that front. sad

Lusty.

Archived