Coopers Community

Ever watched one of those boring YouTube home-brewing tutorials?

Thanks again for the help, i didnt mean to swing this discussion off topic, not that this discussion actually has a defineable topic 😉 

So you know i went to batch priming for my last beer instead of bottle priming and i went for a C02 vol of approx 2.6 and i bottled with a solution of white sugar instead of dextrose which was dissolved into 200ml of boiled water and added to a priming container i got from bunnings which was sanitised with stellarsan.

I also did a few experiments when i bottled as well. I bottled some to the cap with no head space, plus i bottled with normal head space and did both experiments in glass and plastic bottles, i also bottled 6 coopers bottles with no headspace and then conditioned them upside down! 

Anyways, i tried the first upside down conditioned coopers bottle today at 8 days after bottling and the carbonation was absolutely perfect, with nice strong bubbles rising through my beer! Success! And i didnt even have to split the beer atom! 😉 

I'll try it again next time batch primed with dextrose to see if there's a difference with priming sugars in effectiveness or flavour.

To cut a long story short, I decided to bottle prime after i went through King Ruddagers videos and found one where he talked about batch priming. Hopefully that's all it was and the coopers bottle had nothing to do with it.

Edited by Tempestlight
  • Like 2

Why condition upside down? This would put all the yeast at the opening. Fine if you are doing a coopers pale or sparkling where you want the yeast through it, but not for other styles where you want it to drop out and not go into the glass. 

I like your idea of trying all the different methods though to find out what works for you.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dozer71 said:

Why condition upside down? This would put all the yeast at the opening. Fine if you are doing a coopers pale or sparkling where you want the yeast through it, but not for other styles where you want it to drop out and not go into the glass. 

I like your idea of trying all the different methods though to find out what works for you.

Funny Dozer but my thoughts exactly...   regards yeast and in or out of brew... fine for a hefeweizen.

But cool to see a bit of investigative trial work going on ; )

And well done on a nice bubbly beer as well @Tempestlight - that is always a beautiful thing.

I think you will find small difference between malt-dex-sugar for priming for secondary ferment.  

For bottles I have just been using Coopers Lollies just for pure ease of use at secondary ferment, and mainly have Coopers Largies which are great glass bottles. 

Have done a couple of bulk primes and there just mixed dry malt up in boiling water in glass preserving jar... cooled and then added immediately prior to bottling.  Worked well. 

Cheers and Good Brewing!

• Like 1

I watched a video by genus brewing where they conditioned in growlers upside down because they suspected the lids weren't a perfect seal and could leak c02 so i thought id try it myself! I honestly dont think the coopers bottles leak c02 of any significant volume though but it was good to try.  The problem you get though is yeast sediment in the cap which will end up in your glass but yesterday i took the other 5 bottles and gentle swirled them to release the sediment and then stored them right side up in my fridge.

The carbonation though is outstanding, but that could also be that i went for a specific C02 volume which is probably much higher than using the basic measure thingys you get from a HBS

Edited by Tempestlight
  • Like 3

On, near or about page 25 you did a 're-use yeast even easier' immediately my ears pricked up & being of an experimental mind(lazy) thought 'this has gotta be a go!' Sooooo how did this turn out???? Best thing since sliced bread? Tragedy? Neht? I see SRN in an above post is giving it a go but more info to twist the rules would be better.

ps you escape the fires?

Edited by Geoff S
More blabber