Coopers Community

Ever watched one of those boring YouTube home-brewing tutorials?

24 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

Rolf Harris? I'm not offended and I get what you mean, but please try and find a more appropriate comparison next time @Beerlust.

I get what you mean, & in no way was I making a reference to anything beyond his well known appearance. I also don't know of anyone famous that resembles him closely, & given our unspoken subject matter here, you can probably understand why.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Ok, can you make a video about your priming and bottling process? Im having issues with beer in coopers bottles coming out consistently with low carbonation. Ive also found my bottles go from rock hard to soft when they're in tue fridge for a few hours and they open and pour pretty flat. Its not a one off here or there but a consistent issue im struggling with and i watch your videos and see you use the plastic bottles but seem to have great success getting good carbonation most of the time.

15 hours ago, Tempestlight said:

Its not a one off here or there but a consistent issue im struggling with and i watch your videos and see you use the plastic bottles but seem to have great success getting good carbonation most of the time.

I've used the same PET's with the same caps over and over for several years.  I have a mix of brands, none of which though are Coopers.  Mine certainly don't leak and I imagine the Coopers bottles/caps would be just the same?   How are you priming your beer and what quantity of sugar are you using?  

• Like 1

Im using regular priming sugar i bought from my local country brewer and using the standard plastic measure thingy they sell. I did my third last batch with some glass bottles that were bench capped and they came out with carbonation while the plastic bottles were dead flat. My latest batch is in my kitchen cupboard priming and i did mostly glass this time but i did prime a few of my coopers bottles again to see if the issue persists. 

I geuss ill see how they turn out and report back whether its good or bad. I dont want to give up on the plastic, i know a lot of people hate them but i like that they are unbreakable so can be chucked in a box without issues when empty so they are easy to store between batches and reusing the caps saves waste and a bit of money long term

1 hour ago, Tempestlight said:

I did my third last batch with some glass bottles that were bench capped and they came out with carbonation while the plastic bottles were dead flat.

Next question I suppose is, how long are you leaving them before drinking?  

I tried another PET bottle today from my latest batch at 3 weeks to the day from bottling. I rolled it at two weeks to rouse the yeast and it was in the fridge for 24 hours and it was dead flat, zero carbonation. Man this is doing my head in! my next question would be does US05 have a tendency to over attenuate and fail at carbonation? I definately primed it correctly using a scoop from the larger side of the thingy. I will be opening a 330ml glass bottle later and will see if theres a difference. 

Edited by Tempestlight

I just remembered i still had 2 PET bottles from a previous batch that was all flat. They were 8 weeks old in the bottle, i had also rolled them multiple times to rouse the yeast and they were in my brew shed fridge for the last 4 days. I just cracked the second last one and dead flat. Im going to recycle these pet bittles at this rate! 😡 i know ive mentioned the yeast in my last post but could bad dextrose be a problem, could that even happen?

Edited by Tempestlight

12 minutes ago, Tempestlight said:

I just remembered i still had 2 PET bottles from a previous batch that was all flat. They were 8 weeks old in the bottle, i had also rolled them multiple times to rouse the yeast and they were in my brew shed fridge for the last 4 days. I just cracked the second last one and dead flat. Im going to recycle these pet bittles at this rate! 😡 i know ive mentioned the yeast in my last post but could bad dextrose be a problem, could that even happen?

If your brew has fermented to around where expected, it's fermented. If there was any issue with your sugars or yeast, you wouldn't get a fermentation, although I don't know what would be wrong with a box of malt or dex that would cause that.

It's likely the bottles. Probably ditch them and get another box, or try some glass flip tops.

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 1