Coopers Community

Ever watched one of those boring YouTube home-brewing tutorials?

They're two different things done for two different reasons but for clarity alone, I'd agree post fermentation finings have more effect than kettle finings. My beers were still somewhat hazy before I started using the post fermentation finings.

Having said that, the couple of batches where I forgot the Brewbrite weren't helped by post fermentation finings so I think they both have a role to play in final beer clarity.

Holy guacamole... your videos are amazing!

I initially saw the link and thought "oh, boy, a youtube how-to video... yay", but after stumbling into them, massive kudos!

I'm interested in finding one of the doo-dads you use for pumping the steriliser into the bottles. Do they need rinsing afterwards?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 7:06 PM, Silmaril said:

I'm interested in finding one of the doo-dads you use for pumping the steriliser into the bottles. Do they need rinsing afterwards?

Hey Silmaril - they are bottle vinators. Most home brew shops will have them. They make bottling much easier. I use one of these and then dry on a bottle tree - another good investment if you don't have one.

Rinsing depends on what sanitiser you use. I use a no rinse sanitiser so they get sprayed and left to drain. No rinse.

While I was writing this I was thinking about where I had first seen a vinator. I'm almost certain it was one of the earlier @King Ruddager Fast Homebrew videos. Cheers man!

5 hours ago, Popo said:

Hey Silmaril - they are bottle vinators. Most home brew shops will have them. They make bottling much easier. I use one of these and then dry on a bottle tree - another good investment if you don't have one.

Rinsing depends on what sanitiser you use. I use a no rinse sanitiser so they get sprayed and left to drain. No rinse.

While I was writing this I was thinking about where I had first seen a vinator. I'm almost certain it was one of the earlier @King Ruddager Fast Homebrew videos. Cheers man!

Since I posted that I ordered one and a bottle tree ? Used them yesterday in my first bottling.

28 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

Do your PET bottles work on it, or are they too wide at the mouth, and need to be held against the side? That's what I'm finding with mine

My vinator came with a little collar that had a nib on it.  I put the rim of the PET bottles between the nib and the injector bit.  This stopped them sliding off the collar.  However, the nib wore off after about four uses.  I now use a 12mm galvanised washer.  Even leave it on for the glass bottles.

• Like 1

Never used a vinator in the 4 years or so I bottled before switching to kegs. Didn't need it, just made my own bottle drainers and stored the dried bottles in lidded plastic tubs until use when I'd simply pull them out and fill them. Never had a problem at all. I can definitely see their purpose with regards to easily sanitising bottles, however not using one doesn't have to be comical... ?

20 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I can definitely see their purpose with regards to easily sanitising bottles, however not using one doesn't have to be comical... ?

Haha - in my case it was. I had bottles balancing and propped up all over the place.

I can't figure out how to quote it properly, but @Graculus posted this handy method for rinsing PET bottles without the neck slipping over the spout. A PET cap with a couple of holes drilled in it for drainage. A washer does sound easy though!

mmweww.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...