Coopers Community

Ever watched one of those boring YouTube home-brewing tutorials?

yeah the whole shabang...

going from my post about brews possibly going off, it seems cleaning and bottle health could be an issue, so yeah.. from go to wo with it would be cool.

I loved the video "day in the life of a bottle" too...that was very well done!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 1:18 PM, King Ruddager said:

Hi KR, can you advise the reason for the initial 15m@50c protein rest, prior to raising to 67c?  You probably said, but I don't understand the extraction reasons.

Cheers 

Edited by Worthog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Ruddy.
I've been watching a couple of your vids and see you're using packaged water. I fully understand because I'm from Adelaide = poor quality tap water.
Have you considered a Puratap or similar product?
I was thinking you might be renting and can't install a purifier without landlord permission or the landlord won't install one for you.
Not sure how often you brew. I assume it's fairly often. With that in mind, I'd be inclined to get a Puratap or equivalent. Ask the landlord if he/she will pay for it. If they say no, ask if you can install one. With the amount of packaged water you are buying per brew it'd soon pay for itself.
And if you aren't renting, get a Puratap asap. They're well worth it.

Muzz  🙂

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

If that fails you could simply buy a water distiller and make it like I do. Pure water that's a blank canvas to build into any water profile you like. Probably cheaper than a puratap.

How big of a distiller do you have Otto?

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

How big of a distiller do you have Otto?

Just a few litres. They're in abundance in eBay for about $100 give or take. I have 2x20L and 2x25L cubes that I fill with it, which is enough for two batches with some left over. I also use it for mixing starsan. 

I do add minerals to it depending on the style I'm brewing. That's the point of having a blank canvas, you can make it anything you like. Its pretty difficult to effectively soften the tap water for a pilsner for example, so it's easier to just distill it and add minerals back in. 

The only one I don't use this water in is my red ale. I've found the straight tap water suits it the best.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have thought about making my own YouTube channel for beer brewing, cooking on the BBQ, making snags and bacon etc but I don’t have the face for it. I was told I didn’t even have the face or body for radio.......

• Haha 1

You don’t need to show your face if you don’t want to. It’s all about the content. King Rud doesn’t overly show his face , he is a handsome chap by the by , but it’s his content and clever way of presenting something that could be construed as boring in a light , fun and concise way 

i couldn’t have a channel cos of me accent. No fcker could understand me 

• Haha 3

If we are still throwing ideas around, im also behind a longer-form single episode.

Something that goes a bit more in detail of the cleaning/sanitising, into either a BIAB/can mix etc, into checking in on the FV a few times (pointing out things to look out for etc, into showing the yeast drop etc), into bottling.

The content ive seen from our liege Ruddy is perfect, and has some great 'snippet' guides. But one 10-15 min vid showing the entire scope of the routine would be fantastic for those newer brewers. 

10 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I have thought about making my own YouTube channel for beer brewing, cooking on the BBQ, making snags and bacon etc but I don’t have the face for it. I was told I didn’t even have the face or body for radio.......

I don't have the time for it. 

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I don't have the time for it. 

I put together a bunch of Youtube brewing videos...   but it does take a fair bit of time depending on how involved you want to get with it.  I do a bit of video editing for $ from time to time so I have a pretty quick workflow, but in the end for the handful of views the videos got it hardly seemed worth the trouble!  😁   There's no shortage of brewing related content on YT already so unless you've got a point of difference like KR has then it's somewhat moot as to whether it's worth bothering.   By way of contrast, I posted a 4k/UHD timeplaspse video 3 years ago which had around 10,000 views after a couple of years.  My brewing videos after two years achieved a pitiful 81 -> 840 views.     😳

My most popular videos have 35,000 and 40,000 now (cleaning bottles and temp control), but I find I have to keep releasing new content to keep my viewership up.  It's a shame that YouTube kind of rewards quantity over quality in that way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, King Ruddager said:

It's a shame that YouTube kind of rewards quantity over quality in that way.

Yeah... it certainly seems that to make a 'success' of it you really do need to keep churning out the content!  I know of some dedicated channel owners who are now making a good bit of extra $ from their ongoing efforts.