Coopers Community

Saison recipe mix up

Oops! I just realised I misread the Coopers Saison recipe and used wheat malt extract rather than a wheat kit. (I was wondering where the extra 0.2kg of wheat was meant to come from! sideways)

Coopers Saison:

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer

500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

25g Saaz Hops @15min

11g Belle Saison Yeast

Pitch at 24c, then drop to 20c for ferm

Kermy's Saision:

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt Extract

200g Dexterose

500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

25g CZ Saaz Hops @30min

25g CZ Saaz Hops @15min

11g Belle Saison Yeast (rehydrated)

Pitched at 20c, then let raise to 22c. Trying to keep within 20-22c

OG 1053 (estimated IBU's 28.9)

Pitched this on Monday morning. hopefully some of the extra CZ Saaz hops i added can help counter the extra hoppiness missing from the Kit not being used.

Interestingly my version is almost bang on with the extract Kit designer map for a saison (just a bit light in colour which could be fixed by swapping the LDM with DME). I'll let you know how it goes - right now it's smelling really funky! Definitely a much stronger smell than the hefeweizen i did earlier which also used the coopers wheat malt extract.

Looking forward to this one. Has anyone brewed the saison as per the coopers recipe? i'd like to compare results.

Has anyone brewed the saison as per the coopers recipe?

Yep, 3 times already, and sure a lot of ppl on this forum brewed that as well ;)

The only sidestep I had was not 20c but kept it always in 21-23 range. Saison yeast allows 27c max as I remember from lallemand datasheet.

It turned out great. Belle Saison yeast -the-beast! Coopers Saison is one of my favorite beer since then :)

PS dont worry much about your mix up - it should be great beer in form of Kermy version as well. Let us know how it finally turned out

Cheeers

I brewed the Coopers recipe about 2 months ago, however after trying a couple of commercial versions that I found a bit bland I decided to 'dial up the funk' and brewed at 25C. The result was anything but bland!

I tried the first one after only a week in the bottle (the PET bottles were rock hard) and I found the 'funk' a bit much for my taste. I waited a couple more weeks to try the next one hoping the yeast might settle out and reduce the funk but no such luck. I then read somewhere that Saisons should be bottled for at least 6 weeks before drinking so I put the rest away to bottle age a bit more.

I think if I brewed this again I would brew at a lower temperature with a lot more hops - I do like the sound of porschemad911's Marmalade Saison. However for my tastes I think a can of Coopers APA would be much better served being used in the ESVA recipe!!

Keep us informed on how yours turns out Kermit - you might be on a winner!

Yep, I've brewed the Coopers DIY Saison & it was great! happy

As Suicid mentioned, don't be afraid to allow the ferment temperature to rise into the mid to high 20's. From memory I pitched my yeast @ approx. 22°C & allowed the temperature to rise to around 27°C by the end of fermentation.

Disco-Stu1.gif

Saison's much like Disco Stu, are all about the funk! biggrin

Good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

I think if I brewed this again I would brew at a lower temperature with a lot more hops - I do like the sound of porschemad911's Marmalade Saison.

Thanks for the kind words. I think I got lucky with that batch, it just keeps getting better with age! It has a nice light feathery texture, but a rich flavour of malt, light Belgian funk and orange hops. I'll definitely brew something similar again! Down to a few bottles now, will be savouring those.

It has a nice light feathery texture' date=' but a rich flavour of malt, light Belgian funk and orange hops. I'll definitely brew something similar again! Down to a few bottles now, will be savouring those.[/quote']

It is sounding even better now after that description love I will definitely have to have a go at that one before I give up on Saisons.

Cheers

It has a nice light feathery texture' date=' but a rich flavour of malt, light Belgian funk and orange hops. I'll definitely brew something similar again! Down to a few bottles now, will be savouring those.[/quote']

It is sounding even better now after that description love I will definitely have to have a go at that one before I give up on Saisons.

Cheers

It does sound great. I did a quick search to try and find Porschemad911's recipe for this but had no luck. Do you guys have a link?

It does sound great. I did a quick search to try and find Porschemad911's recipe for this but had no luck. Do you guys have a link?

G'day Brewmaster! Let me grab it out of Beersmith for you happy

Stats

Batch size = 10 litres into the fermenter once cooled

O.G. = 1.046 (1.050 measured)

Bitterness = 33.3 IBUs

Colour = 12.7 EBC

Partial mash

1.25kg Heidelberg Pils Malt (2.3 EBC)

25g Simpsons Dark Crystal Malt (240 EBC)

5g Simpsons Choc Malt (650 EBC)

Single infusion mash for 60 minutes at 66C - I batch sparged

500g Coopers LDM

Hops

15g Pacific Hallertau (flowers) @FWH

15g Pacific Hallertau (flowers) @cube

I did a 60 minute boil' date=' adding the extract late in the boil, then siphoned into the cube on top of the second hop addition.

[b']Yeast[/b]: Wyeast 3726PC - this was the third pitch, the second was just collected slurry and this was from rinsed slurry

The darker grains are just there to add a tinge of colour, I don't really notice any flavour impact. I only added these because the Heidelberg Pils malt is really pale. When I brew this again (and I definitely will!) I will do an all grain version, omitting the darker grains and go for maybe 85% slightly less pale Pils malt, 10% wheat malt and 5% Munich malt. My first Saison I brewed last summer with some wheat malt just had slightly better head retention than this one.

I did notice that the yeast character got better and better as I harvested and repitched for the successive batches. This batch got down to a F.G. of 1.000, but it doesn't taste thin at all. I will definitely be hunting down the 3726PC yeast again next summer if it's available, although I'm sure any Saison yeast would turn out pretty well.

For fermentation temperature - I'm not sure sorry. I left this batch in the fermenter in my sunroom during the height of summer for 3 weeks while I was away overseas so I didn't manage to monitor it. But I'm betting it was pretty warm!

Good luck!

Cheers for going into that detail Porsche. I must admit I'm still rocking kit brews with some grain infusions but looking forward to hitting all grain brews once I have some more equiptment!

I did a gravity reading today and it was a nice 1.005 after now 11 days. Tasted great too and I could pick up the saaz notes. I was originally planning to put some left over saaz in as finishing hops but I think I'll leave it given I'm already happy with the taste and it does have some aroma. I've heard overdoing saaz can lead to a grassy flavour/aroma.

Given I didn't really pick up any off flavours I'll probably bottle that bad boy this weekend, seems like the cake has already done its work. :)

Well done Kermy. It could even be ready for an early taster by next week if the bottles are kept warm as that yeast does not muck about.

As noted above my early tasters were not that pleasant but inspired by this thread I dug out my version which has been in the bottle for about ten weeks and the improvement has been remarkable. The over-powering bubble gum funk has blended in nicely allowing the saaz and wheat flavours to emerge.

I reckon it would be fantastic on a hot summers afternoon with a hint of orange marmalade so I have ordered some Pacific Hallertau to add to another Coopers version. I might even have a go at Porsche's all grain version later in the year if Wyeast decide to allow me access to their private collection for some 3726PC!

Good luck and let us know how yours turns out.

Hi, I used the following for a Saison recently.

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Wheat beer

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt Extract

25g CZ Saaz Hops @15min

2 Tbsp cracked coriander seed @15min

zest of 2 oranges @15min

11g Belle Saison Yeast (rehydrated)

Pitched at 27c, left at 25c.

OG 1064, FG 1009

Lot of banana esters evident with LOTS of flavor. Tried after one month and too much tangy flavor. Now it has been 5 months and starting to taste really good. No alcohol flavor (est. 7.7% abv).

I think aging is really important.

I reckon it would be fantastic on a hot summers afternoon with a hint of orange marmalade so I have ordered some Pacific Hallertau to add to another Coopers version. I might even have a go at Porsche's all grain version later in the year if Wyeast decide to allow me access to their private collection for some 3726PC!

Sounds like yours is coming good Leffe Nut. In my experience saisons really benefit from some bottle age. The trick is also to anticipate the high attenuation when deciding what OG you want the recipe to have. What sounds like it might be heading towards a nice 6% beer can quickly end up at over 8%.

I really hope Wyeast let us in on the 3726PC this year as well! The only drawback to that yeast is a fairly prominent 'yeasty' aroma while the beer is green. As the beer ages that fades away though' date=' and they end up really tasty. Unfortunately mine are all gone [img']sad[/img]

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys - if you were wondering the Saison came out delicious. I was worried after tasting it one week in but I should have known better. After 2-3 weeks conditioning it has come out great and has an enjoyable spritz on the tongue.

Next time I might do a little dry hopping to add a touch more aroma.

Great news, well done!

Does this yeast produce a sour taste?

I've tried two Saison's in the past, one was sour and one wasn't (both homebrew and unsure which yeast the brewer used)

I've recently purchased the belle Saison yeast but didn't research enough prior.

Yet to brew with...

Cheers,

Nick

No sourness from this yeast - it usually ferments the brew further than other yeast strains would and throws fruity' date=' spicy, and peppery characters. [img']love[/img]

No sourness from this yeast - it usually ferments the brew further than other yeast strains would and throws fruity' date=' spicy, and peppery characters. [img']love[/img]

Thanks PB2, sounds delicious biggrin

Next stop, Coopers online store!

• 2 months later...

Hi PB2,

I have completed a Saison with this yeast, basically 1/2 Coopers Pale Ale can, 600g dry wheat malt and some Chinook + Amarillo dry hop. Volume was 11L.

Simply the best beer I've made so far (20 batches in) love

It's been in the bottle for around 5 weeks now and I've only got 4 longnecks left sad

Time for another Belle brew day joyful

fvwc3b.jpg

• 2 months later...
Oops! I just realised I misread the Coopers Saison recipe and used wheat malt extract rather than a wheat kit. (I was wondering where the extra 0.2kg of wheat was meant to come from! sideways)

Doh! Just figured out that I have made same error :)

So I will be brewing it up tomorrow, with 200g table sugar, to make up the slack, because that is what I got in house.

How did yours - Brewmaster Sanchez - turn out?

I wonder if it is worth adding a bit extra saaz to the mix, dry hopping?

/568ml

• 2 years later...

• 9 months later...

Hey all, so I was keen to try the Saidon recipe on the diy ever site - https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/saison.html but altered it some due to lack of Coopers kit. 

I am planning to use:
1 x tin black rock pale ale
1 x tin mangrove jacks Belgian ale
500 grams wheat DME
10g Mangrove Jack's M29 French Saison Yeast
12g pride of Ringwood hops (hop tea)

What do you think? Will it work?

thanks

Archived