Coopers Community

Brew enhancer 1 or 2?

cannons001

Hi all, having a go at making my first home brew. I live in Central Australia so my options are very limited in regards to the homebrew products that are available. At my local supplier (Coles) they only have brew enhancer 2. I'm making the coopers draught, does it matter if I use brew enhancer 2 instead of 1? Thanks in advance, I'm very interested in your thoughts, suggestions and advice!

Because a kit and one kg of dextrose usually turns out shit, especially if you ferment it in the mid 20s. If he has access to better ingredients then why not go straight to a better outcome? It's no more difficult mixing BE2 than dextrose, they're both in powder form. I also agree that BE2 is the better of the two enhancers.

Because a kit and one kg of dextrose usually turns out shit' date=' especially if you ferment it in the mid 20s. If he has access to better ingredients then why not go straight to a better outcome? It's no more difficult mixing BE2 than dextrose, they're both in powder form. I also agree that BE2 is the better of the two enhancers.[/quote']

I was just thinking of create a baseline brew and then work from there. Of course its all subjective but some might like the shit beer. I guess could use the commercial draught as a baseline and aim for that. It all depends on the end game. Some are just happy to brew and save while others are aiming for something else.

I still can't see how adding 1kg dextrose is simpler than adding 1kg BE2.

And I don't know why you would try to make shit beer as a base line. Aim higher at the start and keep soaring from there wink

• Haha 1

More malt, less sugar (or even none), and keeping the ferment temp down around 18-20, will produce a much better beer.

That said, yes some people probably do like the watery thin cidery tasting beer that results from using 1kg of dextrose with a kit, and that's fine. But if they want something that actually tastes like beer, then it isn't the way to go, and I really don't see the point in wasting money brewing something crap to start off with if you have access to better quality ingredients.

cannon001, honestly I would flick the enhancer to the bin. recently my neighbor and I did a couple of brews out of coles as everything was on special. Use by dates were nearish so we tried a couple. All in all not bad but for me I could taste a chemical type aftertaste which I put down to the enhancer ( I had two brews one with E1 and another with E2). Another issue we found was the brews were extremely gassy, we could burp the national anthem is several octaves and the next morning, Hoy vay, don't go there.

Needless to say the last several bottles went down the drain. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

So, what I suggest is, once a month, when the ROTM comes about, Coopers offer free delivery.

Simples. This month it was for orders over $80, month before was over $100, I have seen it as low as $60.

My mate and I take it i turns of using our Credit Cards and get some Thomas Cooper (not available in chain supermarkets) and some canned malts and brew beer.

This month worked out at $112.00 for two brews each, $56 divided by two =$28 for 27 bottles of quality beer. My last ten brews have been exclusively Thomas Coopers and malts bought online.

I did a Sparkling Ale with a dark malt that produced a black sparkling ale. Absolute cracker!

I am experimenting with some different hops and crystal malts, say another $5 per brew and its still cheap and GOOD.

Almost every Home Brew store will offer delivery, for a price.

I find that drinking from good quality glasses compliments home brew, if your drinking from glasses that your kids use for cordial or milkshakes, your behind the black ball.

Last xmas sales I picked up numerous Spegialglas various sizes, and have since seen them for half of what I paid. (haven't broken any yet, there a kiss of death if I've ever heard one)

Good Luck happy brewing

recently my neighbor and I did a couple of brews out of coles as everything was on special. Use by dates were nearish so we tried a couple. All in all not bad but for me I could taste a chemical type aftertaste which I put down to the enhancer

Ive made plenty of excellent brews with both BE1 and BE2 as well as Dex only, without any unwanted flavours. Id put yours down to old tins and yeast nearing there used by date.

• 3 months later...

Hi Brew Crew,

Quick question re: BE 1 and 2.

Using Ianh's spreadsheet how do you classify it.. ie the BE's aren't listed in the drop downs?

The Coopers website shows the ingredients for BE2 to include Dextrose, Maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt.

All those are listed individually in the spreadsheet but not as a combo... is there a rule of thumb measurement you use for the quantities so they can be itemised for the spreadsheet ie 1kg of BE1 = 1/3 Dextrose, 1/3 Maltodextrin and 1/3 Light Dry Malt.

Cheers,

Hi Brew Crew' date='

Quick question re: BE 1 and 2.

Using Ianh's spreadsheet how do you classify it.. ie the BE's aren't listed in the drop downs?

The Coopers website shows the ingredients for BE2 to include Dextrose, Maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt.

All those are listed individually in the spreadsheet but not as a combo... is there a rule of thumb measurement you use for the quantities so they can be itemised for the spreadsheet ie 1kg of BE1 = 1/3 Dextrose, 1/3 Maltodextrin and 1/3 Light Dry Malt.

Cheers,[/quote']

G'day Beaver, I think BE1 = 600g dextrose+400g maltodextrin.

BE2 = 500g dextrose+250g maltodextrin+250g of LDM. wink

Cheers.

recently my neighbor and I did a couple of brews out of coles as everything was on special. Use by dates were nearish so we tried a couple. All in all not bad but for me I could taste a chemical type aftertaste which I put down to the enhancer

Ive made plenty of excellent brews with both BE1 and BE2 as well as Dex only' date=' without any unwanted flavours. Id put yours down to old tins and yeast nearing there used by date.[/quote']

That and/or high fermenting temperatures. Fusel alcohols can have a bit of a solvent like flavour.

Just to throw in my 2c worth;

the last half dozen or so batches I've made I've not used any BE1 or BE2, or any sugar/malt mix.

These days I simply used LDM or LME, & get a much better beer as a result.

For me nowadays, any simple sugars (apart from in the bottle for carbing) is a waste, when you can get a much better beer sticking with whatever is in the can (assuming you're doing kits & bits or extract & bits), or whatever.

Sure you can get a nice enough beer with BE1 or BE2, but the more malt, the more flavour & mouth feel.

cannon001, honestly I would flick the enhancer to the bin. recently my neighbor and I did a couple of brews out of coles as everything was on special. Use by dates were nearish so we tried a couple. All in all not bad but for me I could taste a chemical type aftertaste which I put down to the enhancer ( I had two brews one with E1 and another with E2). Another issue we found was the brews were extremely gassy, we could burp the national anthem is several octaves and the next morning, Hoy vay, don't go there.

Needless to say the last several bottles went down the drain. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

So, what I suggest is, once a month, when the ROTM comes about, Coopers offer free delivery.

Simples. This month it was for orders over $80, month before was over $100, I have seen it as low as $60.

My mate and I take it i turns of using our Credit Cards and get some Thomas Cooper (not available in chain supermarkets) and some canned malts and brew beer.

This month worked out at $112.00 for two brews each, $56 divided by two =$28 for 27 bottles of quality beer. My last ten brews have been exclusively Thomas Coopers and malts bought online.

I did a Sparkling Ale with a dark malt that produced a black sparkling ale. Absolute cracker!

Every thing you have said here makes very good sense,and not complicated.

Definitely my next brew would be a Thomas Cooper

You sound like you know your stuff

Also i have 200 grams of cascade hops in the fridge,how much do you sugest i put in.

Where the instructions say "Fill the FV with cold water to the xx litre mark" I have always been using xx litres of water plus the ingredients. Have I been wrong all this time?

I think it is xx litres including all the ingredients.

But either way I don't think you would be able to taste the difference.

I think it is xx litres including all the ingredients.

But either way I don't think you would be able to taste the difference.

Probably not. I always weigh the ingredients because the froth on top can really screw you otherwise.

• 4 years later...