Coopers Community

Yeast variablility in EB/ESB

antiphile

It never ceases to amaze how much of a difference yeast makes in speed and other variables in making a batch. At the moment I'm going through an English Bitter binge in brewing and the difference is very starkly obvious between the last two batches. Similar grain bills, same mash method, same aeration, same starter method and volume (of 1.5 litres), same Best By dates of May 2015, same fermenting temps etc etc etc.

English Bitter with White Labs Burton Yeast (WLP023) OG 1.047, Temp 19C;

SG after 72 hours: 1.014; FG 1.005 (which was a bit of a surprise)

English Special Bitter with White Labs Essex Yeast (WLP022) OG 1.056, Temp 19C;

SG after 72 hours: 1.040; FG ???

Both have a really great krausen and are just superb for top-cropping (and advertised as such), but the speed of attenuation is just so different I was starting to worry today if I had stuffed the ESB. But it is still tasting superb with glorious aromas. I guess it's just another example of, in some cases more than others, patience is the key.

English Bitter with White Labs Burton Yeast (WLP023) OG 1.047' date=' Temp 19C;

SG after 72 hours: 1.014; OG 1.005 (which was a bit of a surprise)

English Special Bitter with White Labs Essex Yeast (WLP022) OG 1.056, Temp 19C;

SG after 72 hours: 1.040; OG ???

lol Think you mean FG tongue

I wasn't able to get a hold of any WLP 037 for my Landlord attempt (Availability: Nov-Dec) so after recommendation from my LHBS I purchased WLP 028 Edinburgh. It's his favorite for English Ales. I'll be giving it a go in the near future. I'll let you know how it turns out. Have you ever tried this strain?

No, I haven't mate. It'll be interesting to hear what you think of it, though.

The one I used before the current batch was WLP023 (Burton Ale yeast) and it was a true beauty. It's been just put in the fridge for crashing a few minutes ago, but it has well and truly passed the taste test. There's a starter of it nearly finished for Brownworthy so I'll be interested to hear his opinion too.

There's a Mangrove Jacks M79 Burton Union dried yeast in the fridge I should try at some stage to compare, but currently I'm troubleshooting the WLP022 Essex 'cos it looks as though it's virtually or actually stopped at 1.040. Looks as though I might have to do a forced ferment this weekend on another batch. What a bugger!

Be good slasher!

Phil

No' date=' I haven't mate. It'll be interesting to hear what you think of it, though.

The one I used before the current batch was WLP023 (Burton Ale yeast) and it was a true beauty. It's been just put in the fridge for crashing a few minutes ago, but it has well and truly passed the taste test. There's a starter of it nearly finished for Brownworthy so I'll be interested to hear his opinion too.

I'm troubleshooting the WLP022 Essex 'cos it looks as though it's virtually or actually stopped at 1.040.l[/quote']

Yeah, 1.040 isn't too good. Give the FV a good shake. At 1.040 the extra O2 can't hurt and will probably do some good. What's the temp at?

I'll give a shout when I have somthing to report on the WLP 028wink

It's been at 19C mostly. But 2 days ago I put it up to 20, and yesterday to 21 to encourage a little more action. It was give a gentle rocking yesterday, and a rigorous one today.

The funny thing is it's still retained a really good krausen throughout (which may be deceptive since it's also noted to be a very good top cropper). But it also is very effervescent in the hydro tube when taking a sample and has taken quite a bit of degassing for an accurate reading. Yet I'm very confident the readings are accurate (using 3 different hydrometers and a refractometer reading, all of which agree within 2 brewers points).

Archived